Installing the OEM tow hitch, no threads on bolt holes. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing the OEM tow hitch, no threads on bolt holes.

At work we have a 2015 PIU with street appearance package (shifter-less console), and it has an OEM Class III hitch. The existence of this vehicle proves what I want to do can be done. I just don't know if the bolt holes are threaded deep within the body and I can't see it? Or if the bolts thread a collar of softer metal when inserted? Or if I need to get the body tapped out before installation? Instead I'm just being told to by a Curt hitch.

This is a 2015 Police Interceptor Utility, with OEM Class III hitch. I can provide the VIN if someone is positive they can decode it.

l1eS9HS.jpg
Post the VIN - ETIS will show what options it came with - there's nothing special required to decode anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Instead I'm just being told to by a Curt hitch.

I feel your pain, Colonel. It's well-nigh impossible to get any respect 'round these parts. Send me the VIN to that 2015 with Interior Upgrade (not Street Appearance) Package, I'll tell you what it came with.

I feel your pain, Colonel. It's well-nigh impossible to get any respect 'round these parts. Send me the VIN to that 2015 with Interior Upgrade (not Street Appearance) Package, I'll tell you what it came with.
Not sure what forums you typically hang on, but this is the most tolerant and respectful forum I’ve ever been on.

Here is the VIN sticker for the 2015 PIU with SAP at my work:

1WMzESa.jpg

And here is the OEM console without a shifter. Lots of folks ask about them and many have never seen one, especially factory installed (some resellers of PIUs, like Chicago and Asia Motors, often buy them secondhand and install them instead of leaving the open tunnel).

uojm5jU.jpg

I also agree about this forum being rather tame. That's why I didn't want to come off as being a jerk asking about this, when the simpler solution is the aftermarket path. I just prefer the OEM design, and I've learned a hell of a lot in just a few months.

No mention of a hitch on the build sheet and it says less tow package.

Do they aftermarket hitches mount up to the factory locations?

No mention of a hitch on the build sheet and it says less tow package.

Well I'm not sure then, but that's an OEM hitch on a PIU. Perhaps added at the dealer?

Well I'm not sure then, but that's an OEM hitch on a PIU. Perhaps added at the dealer?
Have you owned it since new? Do you know the backstory on it?

Anyone can add parts to a vehicle. If one can get OEM parts cheap enough (say from crashed vehicles or maybe someone "knew" someone that could get the parts cheap/free), maybe it made sense for someone to do the modification. Have you checked carfax to see if it had been in a rear end collision and repaired at some point?

Do they aftermarket hitches mount up to the factory locations?
OEM hitch on explorer is part of bumper beam/impact bar. Aftermarket hitches usually mount off rear frame rails.

Have you owned it since new? Do you know the backstory on it?

Anyone can add parts to a vehicle. If one can get OEM parts cheap enough (say from crashed vehicles or maybe someone "knew" someone that could get the parts cheap/free), maybe it made sense for someone to do the modification. Have you checked carfax to see if it had been in a rear end collision and repaired at some point?

That white vehicle is owned by my employer. Not mine. It has been with us since delivery in 2014. No accidents. It's possible our mechanics added the OEM hitch, but our mechanics typically just buy the aftermarket hitches that install under the bumper for the rest of the vehicles.

That white vehicle is owned by my employer. Not mine. It has been with us since delivery in 2014. No accidents. It's possible our mechanics added the OEM hitch, but our mechanics typically just buy the aftermarket hitches that install under the bumper for the rest of the vehicles.

It was probably the dealer who added it then.

The pictured hitch on the 15 is the official Ford Accessories Hitch Add On.

11-15 (doesn't show pics of the component parts - says it is OE part - also says class 1 and towing capacity limited by powertrain) - Trailer Hitch - Class I | The Official Site for Ford Accessories

16+ (with pics of component parts) - Trailer Hitch | The Official Site for Ford Accessories

Do the vehicles with factory tow package have a lower bumper that is cut out and has an insert (like the one in the below image) or is the factory tow package lower bumper molded in one piece? In other words, is there an easy way to quickly ID a true OEM hitch install vs the aftermarket ford accessories install.
gb5z-19d520-c_-_table_top-20170714134035_336x248.jpg

Hey, Im new to the forum , i just picked up a 15' PIU and im wanting to add the factory hitch to mine. does anyone have a part number for the wiring? i been looking and getting annoyed trying to figure out what to use. and some of the wiring say with id card or without id card and i have no clue what that is. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, Im new to the forum , i just picked up a 15' PIU and im wanting to add the factory hitch to mine. does anyone have a part number for the wiring? i been looking and getting annoyed trying to figure out what to use. and some of the wiring say with id card or without id card and i have no clue what that is. any help would be greatly appreciated.
The question about the "id card" has come up several times and I don't recall seeing any explanation of the term. BTW, the other part of your post was moved to this thread; Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

Peter

I've heard two different stories - one is that it is some sort of SIM ID card for remote access or other data features and the other is that it is a keyfob ID card. Could be that these are options for other markets (not available on NA models?).

As far as I can tell, yes the bolts are self tapping. It’s why they have that odd section at the nose without threads. My civilian 2015 Explorer didn’t have threads either but I just put the bolts in the holes anyway and held the trigger down on an impact wrench. The screwed right down and when I took them back out to check the holes had become threaded.

Back