• Register Today It's free!

Lifting a 97 Ex

97ExplorerXLTAWD

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0
First off, Im sure there is a better place to be posting this, so if need be, it can be moved. Secondly Im really sure that there is also a post thats about to answer everything im about to ask. However, there are hundreds of thousands of post on this website, and ive been reading for hours.

Firstly
I have a 1997 Ford Explorer. 4 door. V8 AWD

Every website i go to does not sell a "lift kit" or "body kit" for my model. But ive seen all these post on here with lifted ones like mine. Also i dont understand alot of the Acronyms people are using. Soa, BL, TT are all familiar terms but.. i think i seen one aat? maybe?

Anyways Without spending lots of money.
Whats the best to gain 4 to 5 inches of lift?

From my readings here i presume the cheapest is a 3 inch body lift, with warrior shackles in teh back and 2 inches TT..

But i was thinking more of just BL.. Shackles and only 1 inch or so on the TT.

However, where would i get the BL and the Shackles?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum.
Here you should be able to fine the information you are looking for.
Since you have a 97, I can tell you that there are lift kits for your truck, you just have to look for them, and you have better options now than when I lifted my 97. Body lifts are the same as the 91-94 models, and it's better to make your own bumper brackets. Look up Warrior shackles. If you actually want to do some trail riding, then I would suggest getting a locker for your rear
Good hunting! :)

Thanks Ray.
MY biggest problem is knowing where to just get parts! lol
I know what needs to be done.

So a Body lift kit for 91-94 will indeed fit the 97?
this is good to know. I have seen sites selling these.

But what about the Warrior Shackles? anyone got a link to those perhaps?

And if i throw on a 3" BL. Warrior shacks and a 1.5 TT. That will keep it close to the factory stance? Im not worried about a "level" stance, ive always liked the nose down just weeee lil tad. But im also a big drag racing fan, and well thats all about nose low, big tires in the rear simply put anyways..

Also I planned on building custom bumpers front and rear. Im going to school soon in wyoming for Collision Refinishing then specialize in Street Rod and Custom Fab...so i thought would would be better than to Custom Fab some bumpers. I have a motorcycle thats got Diamond Plate on it, so i thought it would only be fitting to Fab them out of that. With plans to also incorporate and easy to remove Skid Plate.

I dont plan on wheelin in the rocks, more just for some mud and snow, but you never know when that skid plate will come in handy.

I really LOVE the 18mpg im getting with the factory gears now. With a 4 inch lift, i plan to Run 32's i believe i can do that. Will factory gearing still maintain a good highway rpm? i know in drag racing u want gears like 4.10 or 4.60 ive seen some run 5.00 or more.. But thats to get there faster even if it lowers ur top speed.. so i would want to go down then?

thanks

Just Google "warrior shackles ford explorer", that should give you some results.
Looks like they run around $80.00 or so from what I can see.

Seen a place selling the shackles for 67 dollars.. PA website wants 197$ for the 91 to 94 explorer body lift 3 inch... there ebay store is same price.

My trans and Tranfer Case are great now. And i know the lifting shouldnt affect them, but what about 32 inch tires?

All im really going for is just more clearance and some beafyier tires, for mud and snow usage. Im tired of not being able to go down with the lifted crowd when im feelin brave. Most of the time its just the confidence of geting to my destination.

(I hope this pic isnt to 2 big.. My 97 X after a few hours of wheeling. Sadly this was just kinda driving down the road itself. Which is done GREAT! but the lifted boys where pull it down into mud past my floor boards. And those tires are just Primewell cheap street tires.)

225112_169344383118714_100001294595441_356508_2443832_n.jpg

(I hope this pic isnt to 2 big.. My 97 X after a few hours of wheeling. Sadly this was just kinda driving down the road itself. Which is done GREAT! but the lifted boys where pull it down into mud past my floor boards. And those tires are just Primewell cheap street tires.)

Where can i post some pics of my rig?

You would be surprised at what good off-road tires and a locker will do.
Going from a 29" tire to a 32" tire will not really give you that much clearance.
With open differentials, if one tire slips, then you lose drive on the other wheel that still has traction. With a locker, if one tire slips, the other tire with the traction will still drive, because the drive goes to both wheels. If you want to play in the mud or off-road, then you really should think about putting a locker in your rear axle. There are some really decent lunch box lockers out there for the Ford 8.8 rear axle, that are inexpensive. One of the old moderators had a 2 wheel drive Explore with an Auburn locker in it and he did quite well following us around Truckhaven some years back.
Get your 3" body lift and 32" tires and seriously think about getting a locker for your 8.8. You will be amazed at what that combination will do for you out on the trail. :)

Where can i post some pics of my rig?

Go to the top of the main page and click on "Explorer Photos, registries & Gallery".
Then go to "Explorer Registry" and create a thread there about your Explorer. You can tell us about your truck and load pictures of your truck in the thread.
Then you can create a link to that thread in your signature, so other people will be able to click on the link and see your truck. :)

Cool,

Well according to the wheel chart table.
It says i can put on 31's with factory, no trimming.
But i went outside today and measurin taped my wheels and where 31's and 32's would set. I can see 31's Fitting fine, but it seems like to me any kind of roll would contact the upper fender.

So new plan. Warrior Shackles, with 1.5 TT and 31's
If 31's fit under stock hight, i should have plenty of clearance with shacks and a TT.
So minimum 1 inch of lift.. plus 31's which are 2 inches taller than 29's i will have approximately 2 inches of total lift.

I can install shackles and do the TT myself. Save some money and can Run 31's with room to spare.
HOWEVER... can you put 31x10.5x15's on a factory 15x7 rim?..ok let me rephrase. Can you safely put that big of a tire on a 7 inch rim???

I have to buy new tires before i go to Wyoming. For my Factory 15's i have the 235/75/15... i can get a set of All terrains that i like for 408$ before shipping...

And the same tires is 31X10.5x15 is 584$ for the set before shipping.
So i would rather by the bigger tires now.. spend a little extra instead of buying factory size and then lifting and have smalls on there lol..

Well even more interesting. 30x9.5x15..set for 520$ same brand.. or 420$ for some cheaper kind.

According to Tirerack the 31's will go on 7 inch rims.
But before i do this, how is this going to affect my gearing?

Right now im getting 18mpg on the highway. 65 to 75 mph ranges between 2,000 rpm to possibly 2600 rpm.

I had a 1995 Jeep that had 31x10.5x15's and it drove great, but it lacked a bit at 75. and it had factory gearing.

i have an 820 mile drive to wyoming.. while pulling a trailor with my bike on it. Plus, for the moment with school and etc.. my gf lives 130 miles from my school. So it will see highway alot. i cant afford to trash my mpgs yet lol

i put 31x10.5 on my factory 15x7 rims they fit just fine :)
do you know what size gears you have? i went up 3" in tire size and now get about 14 mpg hwy with 3.73

I just have Factory gearing.
4rd4life So you just running TT's and shackles?
31's with 3.73 gears and getting 14mpg?

(It comes with 3.55, 3.73, or 4.10 gears from the factory) According to what some guy said. Is possibly a tab on the dif that says? if not where can i find out?

on the door tag of your EX it should sat axel and have a code. Look up axel codes using the search. It should also be stamped on the axle.

Thanks, im gonna wash all the mud off the X in the morning. Will remember to clean tho diff cover lol

With 31's what would be the best gear ratio? I dont need tons of low end, i like general moderation thru out the band. I dont need a race truck eithor. ive said this before, but i like my 18mpg... i know bigger tires adds weight etc.. guess i can always just see what it does lol

you can get the shackles for $20 at pepboys

I just have Factory gearing.
4rd4life So you just running TT's and shackles?
31's with 3.73 gears and getting 14mpg?

yes. im looking for a set of 4.10's for it. which should bring it close to stock

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With taller tires would i need to gear up or down? but regardless of 14 mpg how does it drive on the highway

Back