Little smoke bad smell - black bolt? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Little smoke bad smell - black bolt?

Grabberblue

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Sport trac
Hi everyone,

I hate my truck! I’m tired of this. I fix one thing and 2 more problems pop up. It’s getting old!

Right now, I have just recently started getting oil spots in my driveway. I needed to change out my calipers anyways, so while I was doing that, I was looking around and saw a black bolt on the side of the block. This is the passenger side at the front of the engine, closest to the firewall.

I finished doing the calipers and took it for a drive to make sure it was good. When I got back, I smelled the smoke, popped my hood and there was a good amount of white smoke. Checked the coolant and that’s at it’s normal level. It was doing this before I did the brake, I noticed it a few days ago too.

So after letting it cool down, I got under the truck and spotted that black bolt. It’s had a little bit of oil on it and it was the highest spot I could see oil. I cleaned it off, drove it around (about the same as before) when I got back, no smoke, but the smell was still there.

I am wondering what this black bolt is for? Is it a cap for oil?? Does anyone know what size it is?

It’s a 2003 sport Trac.
I just did the oil. I also just replaced the thermostat housing after it blew up on me.

3E30CE20-6DA3-4936-B725-7DE46FA55A7B.jpeg

black bot.png

From what I read on this. I would leave it alone. Hard to get to reseal with limited success.

Back