New garage at the Horwitz house | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New garage at the Horwitz house

Since I started working on my Dodge Dart about 4 years ago, the Pumpkin lost it's home and had been stored outside. For three years the Mustang was stored outside under a cover. Since the Dart has been finished, I moved the Mustang back into the garage, but we needed more room to store vehicles so I could work on new projects in the attached garage.

To fulfill our needs we're building a 30x40 garage in the backyard for storage only, not as a shop. We broke ground on the project today getting the pad cleared of all the oleanders, piles of rock, sand, etc. Now we're just waiting on the county for our permits. :thumbsup: Unfortunately, unlike Jeff, I won't be doing any of the construction on this garage as I'm woodworking challenged;) We hired a contractor for this project.

Here are the first shots.... Nothing much to see, but I guess that's the point at this stage:D

Because of the way we have the landscaping set up around the house, we won't even be able to see the garage from the back of the house looking straight back. That's perfect as it won't get in the way of our view.

1D7_1151.jpg

1D7_1152.jpg

backyard_now.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The last picture with the mountains in the back of a cactus looks like a painting. How close is the nearest house to your house? I'm use to living in an over crowded city. :D Do you have any written plans with drawings to show how it will look when it's finished?

..If IZ can live above Sections garage, I want to live in yours...With lot's and lot's of a/c of course...:p:

The last picture with the mountains in the back of a cactus looks like a painting. How close is the nearest house to your house? I'm use to living in an over crowded city. :D Do you have any written plans with drawings to show how it will look when it's finished?

The house you see in the backyard is over 330' from our block wall. It looks closer because of the perspective of the lens. Our neighbors on the sides of us are about 100' from house to house.

We do have blueprints, but they were hand drawn and full size. Nothing I can scan, or put up in a post. The guy who's building the garage is old school and doesn't use a computer for his drafting.

That is a good plan. I know you were cramped for space.

You could keep it as is Use the spare bedroom for storage, and just build a spare bedroom outside--because Ted snores real loud.

:D

Awesome! Why wood construction and not a steel beam frame? Going to have it match the finish/look of the house?

Yes it's going to be stucco exterior with the same parapats as the house.

You could keep it as is Use the spare bedroom for storage, and just build a spare bedroom outside--because Ted snores real loud.

We call the RV the "hotel" since that's where we put the guests who snore... like Char's dad;) Actually we ask our guests where they would rather stay, and the majority of the time the answer is outside in the camper:D

Jealous...

But at least I have a garage:D

Looking good Rick. How tall will the doors be? Hopefully tall enough you can pull the dodge in with the camper on it.

Can't wait to see what you put up. It'll probably go up quicker than mine has. Are you doing attic trusses?

Looking good Rick. How tall will the doors be? Hopefully tall enough you can pull the dodge in with the camper on it.

The doors will be 10' It's not going to be big enough for the camper on the Dodge. The plan was to build an overhanging shelter off the side of the garage for the Dodge and camper.

No attic space.

Wow, how excuiting. Wish we had the space like that. Looks like you can drive circles around the back yard. What a nice view you have.

Won't be able to do that. The North side will have the garage doors, and the East side will most likely be too close to the wall. Maybe not... We'll have to see when it's up.

Concrete is coming tomorrow:chug:

1D7_1411_sml.jpg

Big difference in construction from up this way. We've got to go quite a bit deeper to put a footer in because of frost heave. My footer goes down 30" below the top of my slab.

I don't think this one goes down more than 24". We don't have to bury our pipes nearly as deep either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Neighbors are going to love us... First load came in at 5am:eek:

1D7_1416_sml.jpg

Back