OE fog light retrofit question/clarification | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OE fog light retrofit question/clarification

sthmstr

Reaction score
City, State
Thornton, Co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, Explorer 5.0 XLT
Hello all. I'm looking to add factory fog lights to my 1997 xlt 5.0. Vehicle has a production date of 10/96. I see the provisions for fog lamps behind my valance and relays under the hood. I'm at a loss, however finding the plug behind my radio bezel. I've found 2 unused plugs. On the drivers side there's one plugged into a dummy spot which I assume is for the 4wd switch(I'll be using that later for 4406) and on passenger side there's a blue colored plug that looks to be a gm weatherpack style. Any diagrams I've seen look to show fog light plug is inline with 12v plug or possibly with wiper switch. Any photos or advice would help.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the OEM ones are rectangular, you should look at aftermarket units with better output. I have OEM rectangular ones on my 96, and they don't seem to be helpful in any weather conditions.

No doubt the oe lights are not nearly as good as modern aftermarket units. I may go that route in the stock holes down the road. At this point I haven't purchased anything and am in the planning phase. More than anything I just need pic of the location of fog light switch pigtail or clarification on the blue plug: should there be another pigtail going from it to the switch?

Hey sthmstr. I took some pity on you and ventured out to the driveway for some pics:

Here's where the OE fog light switch goes, on the radio surround:
yOXuz0mh.jpg

Here's the connector for the fogs (bottom), rear defrost (middle), and rear wiper (top):
jbEvHJzh.jpg

Here is what the connector looks like:
fN9O55Fh.jpg

Here are the wire colors (at least, in my '96 XLT 5.0):
6ohRH63h.jpg

Cheers mate!

Well, if you are looking for the OEM metal brackets for the rectangular lights, I might have a pair in my stockpile in my garage. Might have the bulb holder harness ends as well. Let me know if interested, and I'll hunt for them.

Thanks so much for the pics 96Green and the suggestions, Toypaseo. Here's a few pics(if i loaded them correctly). My understanding is that the vehicle should be prewired, but maybe there's a jumper of sorts that I'm missing.
YN9ECASBBCa9WWzq2

gpYeV5lxsBqZPle93

AF1QipOkIBwgDLBnqOxDumKgYVaBF3_ZldAmi0r6mNc

AF1QipOUkwZt-V8_gFogEhBFDW4bilxwGbMl34dNbVQ

I don't think the 2nd gen Exploders were pre-wired for non-fitted equipment.

You could buy a generic harness off of Amazon, and fit aftermarket lights.

Gotcha. I greatly appreciate your help all the same. Maybe something I'll just have to suck up and do full custom. Unless the mystery blue plug is usable in some way.

Unless the mystery blue plug is usable in some way.

I'm not sure which plug you are referring to, but, I can guarantee it is not related to your foggies. The only switch connector for the front fog lamps is grey & yellow, not blue.

If you aren't comfortable wiring up your own harness, you can get a pre-made one off of Amazon, and wire it up to a switch. They are pretty easy to use; Do let me know if you have any questions on wiring. I've a fair amount of aftermarket lighting on my Ex, and am always happy to help.

chsVV5hh.jpg

The colors and pin positions seems to be same except the tan/red wire is yellow/white. Hopefully this weekend I will have time to tone the wires and confirm. I'm not too fearful of wiring although not my favorite thing. The junkyard near me does an "all you can carry" deal for $60 so I was going to try if it's all easy enough. Hoping to get 4406 swap bits so figured while I'm at it.

Can you post a pic of the connector you are talking about?

Different connector... different wire colors... I'm nearly entirely confident that is not for your foggies.
As I said earlier, I am 99.999% sure Ford did not piut in wiring for features that were not present from the factory, so, unless your Ex came with front fog lamps, it won't have the wiring for them.

Sorry m8.

Cool. Thanks for the advice. I'll probably just wire in aftermarket with a factory switch and location later on.

Went to the junkyard on lunch. Confirmed the plug in question is definitely not for the fog lights. on the model I found it connected to some sort of a control module mounted on the dash support frame. Custom wiring it will be. Thanks just the same for the help.

You should have a circular plug in the front of wheel well area right next to where the abs sensor plugs into from the hub that will be your plug for your fog lights my factory fogs where deleted awhile back and valance changed a little while ago I decided to put some 4" led bars in the bumper opening and i just grabbed some lamp harnesses from the junk yard to splice the leds into then all I had to do was plug it in and use existing factory switch.

I believe the blue plug is for the torque on demand relay(controls pulse modulation for clutch coil in the 4405 tcase for the 4wd auto function) for the 4.0 control Trac 4wd models.

Ooh that's good to know. Maybe important when I change to 4406. Makes sense as the truck I looked at today was a 4wd v6. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would look for a manual 4406 I'm not sure the 4405 control Trac system and the 4406 will be interchangeable even if they were then it'll be way harder to hook up and be potentially more problematic then just running a shifter through the floor and installing a boot. I have a control Trac 4405 now and when it decides to kick the bucket I'm going to a 1354 manual swap it'll actually probably end up being cheaper than a rebuild and be more reliable.

Back