Painted the bumpers TWICE already but it won't last | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painted the bumpers TWICE already but it won't last

Yeah so I've painted the black trim around the front and black bumpers two times already, but within a month, they look like CRAP. The first time I used the duplicolor bumper paint. It looked awesome....for a few weeks. Then I started to notice little places where it was peeling and you could see the ugly gray/purple-ish trim. It just got progressively worse and worse until it was half gray and half black.
For try number two, I decided to use duplicolor trim paint as I used it on my grille insert and rear pillars and it still to this day looks great. I also opted for an adhesion promoter on this go-round. Again, within a month or so, I noticed it was peeling. And it seems like every time I look, more and more has peeled.

So I need to know, what the hell can I do? Both times I did prep work. I washed with dish soap, scuffed it, washed it again, then used a degreaser. I'm just at a loss as to how I can keep it looking good for more than a month! I don't expect the rattle-can job to last years, but more than a month isn't too much to ask, is it?
I was thinking of using automotive paint and having my dad paint it with his paint gun.
Is there some sort of prep work that I'm missing? Or maybe a better brand I can use? Would a clear coat help?

Any advice? I really hate the ugly gray, but black peeling with ugly gray is worse.

That does look nice... I used shoe polish on my black trim around my old '86 Thunderbird before it was traded in- works great.

looking good keep up good work

Back