PO761 Code

yohe

Reaction score
City, State
Newville, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
SS3 not working? Cant figure it out.

Hello. I have done a lot of looking and haven't been able to find quite what I was looking for. A lot of similar problems, but no matches. Here's the deal. I have a CEL with the code PO761, basically SS3 stuck off. I changed the solenoid, checked everything I could and finally took it to a tranny shop owned by a friend of the family. They did all of their checking and they told me it was the overdrive not working (I knew that). But here's the catch, it wasn't a tranny problem, it was running perfectly according to their tests except for the overdrive. I have proceeded to tear apart all the wiring harnesses to the tranny looking for a short. I replaced the PCM (twice). I have replaced the lower wiring harness to the tranny, etc, checked all voltages and resistance and have now found that my SS3 wire is only showing 13.7 ohms and it supposed to be between 22-48. I don't know where to go from here. I am not all that great at wiring. HELP!?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P0761; C Shift solenoid CKT Performance Or Stuck off.My Wife's Explorer same Yr. as yours and mine (96)has the very same problem right now.I've checked all the solenoids on the transmission and all of them are fine.When we were on vaction a couple months ago the O/D started to flash and did'nt stop so when I pulled in to get gas I took out my scanner plugged it in and same code as before (P0761) nothing new.So I cleared it and the O/D stopped flashing.Heres the bad news,last week she had gone up to the store and when she came out got into the truck went back it up and it would'nt.She finnaly got to the house where I got into it and found out that it was like it was stuck in drive.Regardless what gear (P,R,D,N,2,1) it would go forward and in park when you first start it would jump forward.Once again I checked for codes and it was the same code.I'm just going to buy a transmission but before I send back the core I'm going to tear down the tranny and found out exactly what it was.If you continue to drive it be careful.If you have'nt heard of anything I'll send you a PM and tell you what I have found.

Code PO761

Thanks for the warning. I haven't had any problem with the other gears as of yet and it's been doing this for about 2 months now. I did try disconnecting the MAF and the CEL nor the code didn't come back up even after driving for about an hour. Now a code did come up for low input for the MAF, but the tranny code didn't. I changed my MAF sensor, but it came PO761 came up again this morning. That is starting to lead me to a wiring problem since the disconnect test worked before. I don't know. We'll see what happens after I start tearing the wiring apart in the engine compartment. Let me know how you make out. Thanks again.

Mark

No probblem.I'll tell you what I find.Also Everytime I cleared the codes it would'nt pop back up again for a while I noticed.When I was on vac. I cleared it then and at that time I was in the mountain side of NC and I managed a couple days and got back here inwhich is the southeast part of VA (Tidewarter/Hampton Roads area) before it pop back up again.Good luck and I'll get back with you.

SS3 stuck off. Wiring problem I think?

Bump

Let me make sure I understand... you have pulled the pan, removed the internal harness, and replaced or checked each solenoid and in every case came up in the acceptable range (most likely came up 27-28 ohms) for each solenoid? You have REPLACED the internal harness with a new one in addition, and yet you still throw that code?

I haven't changed the internal wiring harness. Just the outside one that has the TRS plug, O2 plugs all rolled into one harness. I tested the 7/10 plugs on the outside harness and only came up with 13.7 ohms for the SS3. It is supposed to be between 22-48 correct? I came up with this same number with the truck off and also running. No difference. Do you think I should change the internal harness just to be on the safe side?

I'd replace the internal harness and maybe the SS3.

I have replaced the SS3 and when that didn't do the trick I switched it with the SS1 to make sure it wasn't just a bad solenoid and it still didn't work. I can try chinging the internal harness it's one of the few things I haven't done yet. But how does that explain the weak resistance on the external harness? By the way thanks for helping me out on this.

Don't go changing the internal harness till you measure from the case connector.... but this case was very instructive.

ps. re-reading, if you checked thr internal from the case connector on p9ns 7-10 and came up 13.7 - CHANGE THE HARNESS.

I have measured it before, and if I remember correctly it came up at around 26 or 27. So I don't (think) its the internal harness. But, I am going to check again to make sure I didn't miss something the first time. After reading the other thread you mentioned, I'm second guessing myself. I do know however that I don't have any broken or melted wires like that fella indicated on his, so at least thats one option down. I'll let you know what I find.

Tranny Code PO761

Ok Glacier. I checked the internal harness and I am coming up with 27 ohms. I rechecked the outside harness that connects to the case and I came up with the 13.7 ohms again. So I am guessing that it is in the wiring from the PCM, but now I am at a loss on how to figure out where the problem is coming from considering all of the things I have changed already.

Your internal harness is fine then. When you say you checked the external harness, and came up with 13.7... can you explain that a little more for me? Were you merely checking the resistance back up to the PCM? I admit to being a litle lost... but this is a confusing one.... I am loathe to suspect a PCM, but ......

External harness

When I checked the resistance I came up with 13.7 ohms. I want to check the milliamps but I am not sure what setting to put the meter on to check it. I tried putting it on 200m, but I came up with 0, and that was with the truck running. Was that the right setting? Like I said when it comes to wiring I'm lost. I have changed the PCM once already. I don't know if that one was ever reprogrammed though. Would that make a difference? Sorry for all the questions and probably not enough answers.

I wish you lived closer. The FORD dealer has a Rotunda transmission Tester (they are available to non FORD folks - I have one too). It plugs into the case connector and allows you to control the transmission without using the PCM - in other words you control it yourself from the tester, shifts and everything, totally isolates the trannie from any computer connection or wiring harness to it, at all. I'd be really curious to know if, in your situation, the transmission shifts correctly and gives you OD when shifted by the tester. If so, you would know positively if the problem was upstream of the transmission or, possibly in it. If the trannie still exhibited your problem you'd know you need to explore further inside... (VERY curious).

If you were close we could throw mine on it, but PA is a tad far away

Might be worth exploring. Call a dealer and find one with a knowledgeable trannie tech.

Ok. Hey thanks for the help anyway. It got me a little further than I was to figuring it out. I'll get it to a shop and see what I can do from there. I'll try to let you know what we come up with. Thanks again.

tranny woes

Well I got the electrical part taken care of. I replaced the rest of the wiring harness. Now it tries to shift into OD eltronically for 3 or 4 times and then gives up when it can't. So it turns out I have a two part problem since it didn't even try to shift electrically before. I tore the valve body apart and couldn't find anything wrong as far as warpage, burs, metal debris, etc. I also did a pressure test on it and I could hear and feel a clicking sound coming from the overdrive port. (I think thats what it should do) Could the OD band be causing the problem now? And if so, wouldn't a code come up showing that? My next step is to tear the tranny out and dismantle the whole thing. I am hoping it doesn't come to that. But what does anyone else think?

Back