Power window motor help

explorer-nick

Reaction score
City, State
Hilo, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Hey,

I have already read multiple threads on fixing the power window motor in that when you push the button you hear the motor spin but the window doesn't move. anway, i have the motor out, i bought the 3 bushings, and i can see where they go in the motor, but there is a metal shield and gear over the plastic gear that the bushings go in. the question is, how do i remove the metal shield and gear. there is a rod that goes through the whole area to the rear and i am not sure if i am supposed to punch that out or pull off the gear and sheild part. i have tried removing the shield via leverage with a flathead screwdriver but that just bent the metal and i had to bend it back. any suggestions would be great. the other question is, i can take my leatherman tool and move the metal gear around which i have noticed that the metal piece on the bottom is rounded in three places but the part where the metal is supposed to go, the plastic gear has also been worn down a bit, not so much that it isn't hard to move the metal gear once its in the right place, but not locked into place super well. should i and is it possible to buy the replacement plastic gear as i purchased the plastic bushings on ebay.

there should be a torx screw holding the shield.

and then for the gear, if it just doesn't come out, look at the top of the gear, there might be a small pin preventing the gear from coming off the shaft.

always...always... before disassembling power window motors... do this first!

while sitting in the car, hold the button in the down position and slam the door, this resets the motor

Back