PTU and Rear Differential (RDU) fill plug access (N/A V6 AWD) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PTU and Rear Differential (RDU) fill plug access (N/A V6 AWD)

Weird, no cooler; and I’m original owner. Never replaced PTU! It’s a late ‘15 build, ‘16 model year however.

Weird, no cooler; and I’m original owner. Never replaced PTU! It’s a late ‘15 build, ‘16 model year however.

So right above your drain plug location would be the fill plug location for the PTUs without coolers. If you don't see a fill plug, what do you see?
The PTU cooler is like a small bump bolted to your PTU. It doesn't look like a heat exchanger and maybe in that tight spot it doesn't seem like you have a cooler, but there are 2 hoses that run to the back of the PTU in that spot. I marked the drain plug as 1, and the temp sensor/fill port as 2 (although I see the fill plug on some PTU cooler models but it is blocked by a shield), and I marked the PTU cooler itself as 3. And the next pic is of the non-cooled PTU. Notice the lack of a cooler and only the fill plug. It's still very tight to access on my XLT which is why I inquired about if anyone is able to access it.
I did order some slim tools: socket lever and a Powerbuilt ratchet that is 25% slimmer than my Gearwrench pass thru.

PTU Cooler 3.JPG PTU Cooler - Non Cooled.jpg

With almost 200,000 miles, I’m pretty comfortable servicing it with my current set-up. It takes me about 15 minutes other than letting it drain real good for about an hour. I service it every 15,000 miles (cheap maintenance). The Redline always comes out clean and very very little debris on the magnet. I’m happy with the performance and expect it to be fine. Hoping to get another 100,000 out of this vehicle! Time will tell…

With almost 200,000 miles, I’m pretty comfortable servicing it with my current set-up. It takes me about 15 minutes other than letting it drain real good for about an hour. I service it every 15,000 miles (cheap maintenance). The Redline always comes out clean and very very little debris on the magnet. I’m happy with the performance and expect it to be fine. Hoping to get another 100,000 out of this vehicle! Time will tell…

I'm going to use a pneumatic evacuator and a separate syringe pump this time around. Using the hand pump was a messy PITA on the SHO plus the car had almost no ground clearance. I can crawl right under the Explorer and get to work without blocks, ramps, jacks, etc... So I may just do the PTU each oil change if I get the procedure right.

I am still curious how yours does not have a cooler (not about how you fill it). Do you not see the bump I posted above, or do you legit have the non-cooled version like the other photo I posted?

Back