Quick Question on fluid level...

Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
I changed out my secondary trans filter today and I have a question. I added a bottle of lucas tranny fluid and it says to "Add to existing transmission fluid" so what I did is I added the right amount of fluid PLUS this bottle. My question is

When I got the trans nice and hot and checked the stick, it says "Do not add if in crasshatched area" Well, the fluid is up to the "Add" in that sentance. So, did I overfill the transmission or is it fine? What if it was overfilled?

I actually just answered my own question. This is a good read

Q6. Is it dangerous to overfill my transmission? Will it blow seals?

An overfill, though not a good practice, will not cause internal damage to your transmission. If it was horribly overfilled by several quarts, the aeration of the fluid caused by parts rotating through it would not be a good thing, but would be unlikely to result in any lasting harm. The pump pressures do not change based on the fluid levels once they are adequate to maintain a level the pump can suction from. So you do not need to worry about higher pressures because of an overfill. Seals will not be blown out. Now seals that normally are above the fluid level, if submerged, may leak fluid, but that will stop once the fluid level is returned to proper levels.

Yeah relax... yer ok. When ya get a chance you might see how much of an overfill you have and drain some out..... but not anything to get all excited about.

Back