• Register Today It's free!

Reinforcing a brush guard ???

JCat

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mountaineer
After years of abuse, I'm about to remove my Rhino Brush Guard and try to straighten it out.

This brush guard attaches to the truck with what I would say is a minimum of brackets and support. The brackets bend very easily.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do about it ?

Attachments

• DCP_0032.jpg
    DCP_0032.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 1,358

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think those are more for looks than anything. You could buy some steel stock and just weld it to the brackets (ie make them thicker). Post some pics of where/how it's bending so we can try to help although honestly I'd just sell it and buy a real bumper. Not sure how those bolt to the frame but it probably doesn't leave alot of room for improvement, not to mention I got it feelin it's cheap steel.

X2 - if you're going to weld, might as well remove the front bumper and start from scratch. You'll find that the bumper is attached to "ears"/ bracktes that are just tack welded onto the end of the frame rails. Cut those brackets off and wed on a new cross memmber between the rails - then weld tabs to that new cross member and bolt anythng you want (new bumper) to those tabs.

Based on his wheels and chrome brush guard, I don't think he's the type that's going to just cut everything off and fabricate something new. JMO

I can attest to brush guards being more than for looks and I have posted in a couple threads with proof. I'll leave that alone in this one. The only concession I'll make regarding brush guards is the approach angle is decreased; just know your dimensions and find a way.

It does sound like your brackets are made of cheap steel. Fabricate your own, or get a shop to, using thick American steel. 3/8" should work great. You may be able to find a way to tie in another bracket from the brush guard to the radiator support for extra rigidity.

You may be able to find a way to tie in another bracket from the brush guard to the radiator support for extra rigidity.

Pretty sure you doont want to do that. The body moves relative to the chassis (body mounts have a rubber component) and anything rigidly tied to both the radiator core support and the chassis will start tearing the radiator core support as the body sways over the chassis on each turn. The radiator core support is also a poor choice as its really only meant to hold the radiator and the AC condenser - which are all vertical loads, not horizontal. To put things into perspective, a moderate kick can easily bend the radiator core support as its just formed sheet metal.

I think those are more for looks than anything.

I don't know... Someone drove my truck into the back of a new impala and drove right through the left rear of it from the trunk to just about the back door. Saved my truck from any broken lens and not a scratch! I can't wait to get one for my EX.

On the down side, Insurance sucked for the last 5 years because of that dumb@$$!

After years of abuse, I'm about to remove my Rhino Brush Guard and try to straighten it out.

This brush guard attaches to the truck with what I would say is a minimum of brackets and support. The brackets bend very easily.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do about it ?

I was also unsatisfied with the strength of the brush guard on my 96 xlt. Ill post pics soon to show how i tackled reinforcing mine.

Back