RockRangerII the build up. | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RockRangerII the build up.

After loosing my last ranger a bit over a year ago I finally got onther one to replace it. The truck I am starting with is a 1993 ranger 4X4 xl standard cab short bed. It is pretty much a bare bones truck. No AC no cruise and a manualt t case. It also has a 4.0 and a 5 speed with 3.73 and an open rear diff. When I purchased the truck it came with a 2.5" rancho lift 31" bfg AT tires on aluminum rims.

I have had the truck around 3 months now and have put about 3000 miles on it sofar. Over that time I have noticed a few things about it. When they installed the lift instead of installing longer brake lines they installed limit straps that limit down travel to about 1" from ride height and also removed the sway bar. They also didnt lift the rear at all and it has a serous case of butt dragging.

Attachments

• ranger.jpg
    ranger.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3,918

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice diff covers :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Got the bumper mounted up and the winch bolted in. I still need to weld some tabs on for the roller lead. Hopefully I will get that done tommorow. I also need to figure out where to mount the silinoid box. I am thinking somewhere under the hood and getting a dash mount controler for inside the cab. According to the bathroom scale the bumper weighs around 55 lbs.

Attachments

• truck 002.jpg
    truck 002.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 21,599
  • truck 003.jpg
    truck 003.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 7,115

I also started on the new skid plate. I should have it done tommorow. Just need to weld a few more tabs on it for mounting it and it will be done.

Attachments

• truck 001.jpg
    truck 001.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 591

I like the design. Not a fan of stingers though. I need to build a new bumper for mine, I willl borrow some ideas from you. I dig the winch mount location.

It ended up taller then I wanted it. I can count the number of tubes I have bent using a tube bender on my fingers, so I am still trying to figure out how to use it. The design was hard cause the winch had to sit above the frame cause of how long it was. We will see how I like it. I can always cut it off and change it. It bolts to the factory bumper brackets.

Looks great, Matt. :thumbsup:

Worked on the truck some. I was having problems with the 1354 shifter shifting the 1350 case so I picked up a 1350 shifter at the junkyard. 1354 on left 1350 on the right.

Then I put Tracy to work welding some tabs on my skid plate. Need some more practice time but I see potential :D

Also here are a few pics of the skidplate painted up ready to be installed.

Attachments

• truck 005.jpg
    truck 005.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 546
  • truck 004.jpg
    truck 004.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 575
  • truck 003.jpg
    truck 003.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 552
  • truck 001.jpg
    truck 001.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 564

What size of square tubing is the skid plate made of?

Here is a few pics of the skid plate mounted. It weighs right around 45 lbs according to the 30 year old bathroom scale. I have just over 19" of clearance under it. Considering my tires measure 33" it isn't to bad. When I put 37" or 38" I should be closer to 21" which will be much better.

I also got the roller flairlead mounted. I just need to figure out where to mount the control box and put the cable back on and that will be done.

Have to go back to work this week so pogress will stop for awhile.

Attachments

• truck 006.jpg
    truck 006.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 548
  • truck 007.jpg
    truck 007.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 555
  • truck 008.jpg
    truck 008.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 554
  • truck 009.jpg
    truck 009.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 558

IZwack said:
What size of square tubing is the skid plate made of?

1.25" square 11 guage. It is sheeted with about the same. The angle on the side is 3" that is 1/4" thick. It sits where the frame angles so I welded some 3/16 flat stock in to follow the angle of the frame.

Matt where sis you get your D-shafts from? And what kinda price? I need to a new rear one in the next 2 weeks

Front shaft was done by Fresno Driveline. They lengthened it 6" installed a new joint for the pinion and a new boot. Not sure I should say the price as the people there have been friends with Tracys dad for 20 years so I got a pretty good price. The rear was shortened by San Diego driveline on Morena blvd in San Diego. Shortened it 6" and a new boot for the slip yoke for $102.

How close do you work to LAX? Ill be down the steet from there working the next week or two.

RockRanger said:
Front shaft was done by Fresno Driveline. They lengthened it 6" installed a new joint for the pinion and a new boot. Not sure I should say the price as the people there have been friends with Tracys dad for 20 years so I got a pretty good price. The rear was shortened by San Diego driveline on Morena blvd in San Diego. Shortened it 6" and a new boot for the slip yoke for $102.

How close do you work to LAX? Ill be down the steet from there working the next week or two.

I use to be really close to LAX, but not anymore. Now our office in smack dab in the middle of hollywood. Honestly! we walk past the Kodak & Mann Chinese theater at lunch...I hate tourists :rolleyes:

Stic-o said:
I need to a new rear one in the next 2 weeks
LOL is this what you narrowed your vibrations down to? Cauz I'm on the same boat -- I too need a rear driveshaft ASAP :D I PMed Rick cauz I think I might as well go with either a 3/16 wall or 1/4 wall - he pointed me to Tom Wood's (http://www.4xshaft.com)

IZwack said:
LOL is this what you narrowed your vibrations down to? Cauz I'm on the same boat -- I too need a rear driveshaft ASAP :D I PMed Rick cauz I think I might as well go with either a 3/16 wall or 1/4 wall - he pointed me to Tom Wood's (http://www.4xshaft.com)

I'm 99% sure that is what it is. My driveshaft was not long enough so we got a 5" round of aluminum, 2" deep and drilled 4 holes and a 2" center hole. Home made spacer :D Now my driveshaft is long enough, but sucks at speed. Even if there was other things, I can't tell till this is fixed. When you get to 50mph+ it has a really loud tone with the vibration, which is inherit with a unbalnced d-shaft. :(

Mine has a DANGEROUS shake just under 40mph. I sliced and sleeved the driveshaft with another tube. But once it was on the vehicle, the rear axles were put up in the air and the shaft was driven by the transmsission - and it was obvious that the driveshaft wasnt straight with plenty of "runout". :rolleyes: I'm also going to slide in ~10 ounces of AirSoft pellets into each tire to help balance the tires.

only two bolts perside? and what appears to be grade 5 bolts at that? might want to think about adding a 3rd and changing to grade 8 for the strength. what size are those bolts?

grade 8 may be stronger but grade 5 does not shear as easy....

Back