RV Propane BBQ Fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RV Propane BBQ Fix

Last trip out with the RV I noticed the BBQ was in need of some TLC. The heat, tent, shield, burner protector plate was falling apart. Its stupid thin plate with a bunch of stamped slots in it so its days were numbered from the start. I priced out new grills but they are all at least $100 for what I would want. Nothing special, just a small BBQ for the RV. I decided to give it a good cleaning and see how it looks. The grill is in otherwise excellent shape so I dug through my scrap metal pile and found four strips of diamond steel plate that was about 1/16" thick. Setting them side by side they were almost a exact match for the width of the shield plate. Tack welded them together, cut some slots and tested it. It was taking too long to heat up so I made the slots wider, and added some holes. Works great. It took me about 1.5 hours and was kind of fun since I haven't worked with metal quite a while. It also saved me $100, and this grill fits in its place in a storage compartment nicely. This should last longer than the BBQ.
20210625_185302.jpg

This was right after I had the grill running on High for 10 minutes and it was showing a temp of 450*. I noticed the plate bowed up a little in the center, but it went back straight after it cooled a little. Should work out well.
20210625_185309.jpg

Last trip out with the RV I noticed the BBQ was in need of some TLC. The heat, tent, shield, burner protector plate was falling apart. Its stupid thin plate with a bunch of stamped slots in it so its days were numbered from the start. I priced out new grills but they are all at least $100 for what I would want. Nothing special, just a small BBQ for the RV. I decided to give it a good cleaning and see how it looks. The grill is in otherwise excellent shape so I dug through my scrap metal pile and found four strips of diamond steel plate that was about 1/16" thick. Setting them side by side they were almost a exact match for the width of the shield plate. Tack welded them together, cut some slots and tested it. It was taking too long to heat up so I made the slots wider, and added some holes. Works great. It took me about 1.5 hours and was kind of fun since I haven't worked with metal quite a while. It also saved me $100, and this grill fits in its place in a storage compartment nicely. This should last longer than the BBQ.
View attachment 339893

This was right after I had the grill running on High for 10 minutes and it was showing a temp of 450*. I noticed the plate bowed up a little in the center, but it went back straight after it cooled a little. Should work out well.
View attachment 339894

I literally just tossed one of these bbq's out the other day. The one that came with our trailer was beyond toast, and nasty. I have a brand new Smoke Hollow BBQ we bought for the pop up, but never used. I have the mount figured out to mount on the side of the trailer, but not sure if it will get done before our trip.

Big 5 will sell you one at a discount, just have to ask them if they can do better on the price. I paid about $80 for it a while back. That's of course if this doesn't work out.

Back