Safety Is Key | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Safety Is Key

I know I know, this is the last thing you want to hear about. In shop class you'd always waste the first day going over safety, ear protection, eye protection, and all that crazy stuff -- but it's all for a purpose.

This thread will talk mostly about safety in the garage and with tools. I understand that most of the members on here work in the driveway, garage, or heck - even apartment complex parking lots. No matter where you are, you need to be safe and take precaution.

Facts:

-Vehicles, equipment, and many parts are very heavy; their weight can cause server injury. So when you think about lifting that 5R55E transmission by yourself, think again.

-Many parts of a car become very hot and can cause severe burns. So, don't go driving around trying to find a brake noise, then go to work on the brakes. Brakes get HOT when used.

-High fluid pressure can build up inside the cooling system, fuel system, or battery; these can spray dangerous fluids in your eyes and on you. Make sure you relieve the fuel pressure by undoing the gas cap.

-Batteries contain highly corrosive and potentially explose acids and electrolyte; these can cause bad skin burns, irritation, or blindness. Wear eye protection when servicing a battery and reduce sparks! A by protect of the acid and water is hydrogen - hydrogen plus a spark equals Hiroshima.

-Fuels and commonly used cleaning solvents are flammable (ie brake clean). When your cleaning a part into a trash can with brake clean and then you go grinding on a piece of metal - yes it will ignite (be there done that).

-Exhaust fumes are poisonous and can be deadly. Yeah, you might start feeling good - but it isn't good.

-During some repairs, technicians can be exposed to harmful dust particles and vapors that can cause chronic or terminal diseases.

Lifting a vehicle isn't hard when you have the right tools. Most people use a jack. What people don't use are jackstands along with the jack. The jacks main purpose is to get the vehicle up high enough for you to set jackstands underneath it safely. Do NOT set the vehicle down on jackstands that are on top of blocks/wood or any other solid mass as this is not safe in any manner. There are certain lift points that should be used - for a jack usually under the control arms or part of the rear axle are used. You can use the frame if needed.

Personal safety is the best thing. Do not get under a vehicle that you are not 100% safe with being under. Be sure to be wearing correct clothing for the job and to get rid of any jewlery and pull back the long hair. Gloves are great. I use the latex ones without the powder at work and they have done wonders. I use to come home every weekend and have grit still stick in the cracks/pores of my hands. This took care of that. Ear protection is often over looked. Those impact guns put out a lot of noise and can damage your ears. For those painting or working with chemicals that have toxic fumes should look strongly into getting a respirator. These WILL save your life. These she be worn while in the paint booth and not taken off until the door behind you closes. I have seen some techs wear eye protection all day long. To me this seems to be bothersome - but once you are use to it, it's like normal.

Lifting and carrying heavy objects can be a real back pain. Always keep back as straight as possible, use your leg muscles, and always bend your legs - lift with your legs not your back.

Hand Tool safety is huge. Many people use the wrong tool for the wrong job. Everyones guilty of using a screw driver to pry something out of the way or into place. Make sure to keep all tools grease free and in good condition. A broken tool can cause broken bones. So can a tool that is slipping all over the place because of grease. Don't push a wrench - always pull towards you.

When running a vehicle in a garage - please be smart and leave a door open or some sort of ventilation for fresh air. Carbon Monoixide is odorless, tasteless, and every other sense-less -- so please be careful with vehicle fumes. Always dispose of chemicals (i.e. gasoline) properly.

Your work area must be kept clean and safe. When coolant, oil, or any other liquid is on your work area it will then be slippery which can cause an accident. Keep all walkways clear. Coolant is a very slippery liquid when on a floor - be sure to clean it up as soon as possible. Be sure to also store your chemicals away from pets and childern. Pets love anti-freeze.

It's always great to have a fire extinguisher in the garage. This will be handy if a fire occurs. Be sure to use the proper extinguisher for the proper fire. Class A (wood, paper, cltoh, rubber, etc.) - Class B (Gasoline, Oil, Grease, Paint, Lighter Fluid) - Class C (Motors, appliances, wiring, fuse boxes) - Class D (aluminum, magnesium, potassium, etc.)

Oil, oil filters, batteries, regrigerants, solvents, anti freeze, transmission fluid, and other chemicals should be all disposed of properly. Most trash dumps will take oil and transmission fluid, even batteries and tires. If anti freeze must be dump in the drain - dillute strongly.

Be smart when working on your vehicle. There are pros and cons to working on your vehicle. You may be working and accidently scratch a small scratch into the paint -- you may not care about it. But if you were a technician it would be your money wasted. The cons to working on your vehicle is the lack of proper tools, knowledge, and safety. Take care of your vehicle and treat it well. I know this isn't a fun thread to read, but it has to be said.

Disclaimer: Explorer Forum is not responsible for any injury resulting from these safety tips and guidelines. The writing above is only for personal use and should be taken seriously. Be careful and be safe.

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Safety glasses should be a part of your tool box too. Recently, I purchased a good, comfortable pair that I can wear for long periods of time. Don't go cheap. At first I bought the blocky science class ones, but I found I would take them off as soon as I thought the coast was clear. With a better fitting pair, you can leave them on the entire length of your garage stay. :D

Not only are the beneficial when working with fluids, grinding/sawing, but also when you're under your truck loosening bolts and all that dirt dust is falling...

You get the idea. :cool:

Two cents worth here.

Paint and body work.
Wear a dust mask and / or a resparator. Say you are sanding down some body filler.
Feh' it is just a little dust right ? I feel fine.

Some times the damge is not immediate.
Cancer does not just pop up the same day.
Nerve damage does not just pop up the same day.

Safety gear, by comparison is NOT expensive. You just spent $150.00 on a billit grille, but you dont want to go twenty bucks on a face shield to protect your face when you cut the old grille.
Retard.

Another thing to mention is to use wheel ****s to prevent your vehicle from rolling back if you have it up on ramps along with using a parking brake. If you are using a lift, double check all 4 lifting points before going underneath of it. Don't smoke around parts cleaning solutions, brake cleaning chemicals, and parts washer machines! Wash, and wipe up any gasoline that could have spilled when replacing a fuel filter, or gas tank.

Safety Glasses I speak from experiance! About 9yrs ago I was pulling a board off a rack above my head and someone put a hammer on top of the board. The claw of the hammer hit me in the eye causing a massive cataract. After two surgeries and dozens of laser treatments the best my vision will ever be is 20/200.

Decent safety glasses are about 15 to 20 bucks.
Eye surgery is about 25000 bucks.

What are your eyes worth?

GLOVES
Chemicals and solvents we use to wash parts or lubricate the vehicle will cause skin damage and health issues over time.

Wear some simple surgical style gloves when working with these chemicals.

READ THE BOTTLE

After meeting a few older mechanic friends who have serious skin problems on their hands, You can bet I am wearing my gloves even for simple oil changes.

Having worked as a microbiologist/genetic engineer for years, safety is a way of life.

Nothing is taken for granted where one slip up can be a death sentence.

I take this safety attitude with me whatever I do.

aldive said:
Having worked as a microbiologist/genetic engineer for years, safety is a way of life.

Nothing is taken for granted where one slip up can be a death sentence.

I take this safety attitude with me whatever I do.
AHHA
The truth comes out, you have no question cloned your SOHC with a High Miliage asian engine, thus 30+ MPG :D

spindlecone said:
AHHA
The truth comes out, you have no question cloned your SOHC with a High Miliage asian engine, thus 30+ MPG :D

Ya gotta admit Al that was funny. :D

section525 said:
......Recently, I purchased a good, comfortable pair that I can wear for long periods of time. .........

What did you get?

tenikiwon said:
What did you get?

They say "AOS" and "Made in USA" :p on them.

Attachments

• aos.jpg
    aos.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 913

grinding/cutting safety

We all know grinders and cutoff wheels throw alot of sparks. We all know to keep flamables away from the spark area. One other thing to consider is clothing.

I was working on my father's tractor the other day, doing alot of heavy grinding. I was wearing a light jacket, welding gloves, and a full face shield. I was holding the grinder in a way that was throwing all the sparks on my stomach and they were bouncing up and hitting the face shield. After a while i noticed the stench of burned hair mixed in with the smell of ground metal. A few seconds later my belly got warm. I dropped the grinder and noticed i was on fire.

Be aware that even if your clothes arent flammable, you could have wiped something on them that is flammable. The jacket caught fire and burned out the area were i had previously wiped my hands on it.

Mah belly hurts now and has little blisters all over it.

Attachments

• jacket.jpg
    jacket.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 890

Thanks for posting James T -- took me awhile to get to it, but very informative. Glad your ok :thumbsup:

-Drew

You are all missing on of the most dangerous parts of any garage.

The Oxy/Acy Torch :D

When using a cutting torch, make sure of a few things.

1) The line is in good shape with no leaks.
2)You are cutting in a safe place, with no flammables around. (gas tank, fuel lines, cans of solvent, ect.)
3)When hitting the gas to blow through that bolt, make sure that the molten slag that results will land in a good place, not on your arm (It was my first time cutting, alright)
4) :cool: Your eyes. Protect them at all costs.
5)Make sure hoses are clear of the sparks and slag as well, if not it will melt through and cause a cool looking yet dangerous jet of flame.

I could go on and on, but hopefully you get the idea, know what you are doing and how you are going to do it. Make sure you are aware of your surroundings and enviroment.

Also, excessive heating on the underside of a vehicle WILL result in a fire on the carpet.

What he said above, and NEVER cut the lid off a drum, any drum, with oxy/acy

spindlecone said:
What he said above, and NEVER cut the lid off a drum, any drum, with oxy/acy

Just curious, but why is that.

Assuming the drum was never filled with flammables and isnt plugged shut.

sn0border88 said:
You are all missing on of the most dangerous parts of any garage.

The Oxy/Acy Torch :D

When using a cutting torch, make sure of a few things.

1) The line is in good shape with no leaks.
2)You are cutting in a safe place, with no flammables around. (gas tank, fuel lines, cans of solvent, ect.)
3)When hitting the gas to blow through that bolt, make sure that the molten slag that results will land in a good place, not on your arm (It was my first time cutting, alright)
4) :cool: Your eyes. Protect them at all costs.
5)Make sure hoses are clear of the sparks and slag as well, if not it will melt through and cause a cool looking yet dangerous jet of flame.
QUOTE]

6) Dont do this while intoxicated even if your just on low heating bolts up while the other person tries taking the previously heated ones off (rear axle of a chev truck). Nothin bad happened.. but the potential was there. Actually what was more dangerous was carrying the axle through the crouded garage... :chug:

Also for my eye protection i use this $60 pair of sport goggles, well not really goggles. Im not sure if there better protection but they sure as hell are better then the cheapy pairs i wear usually. And they use an elastic strap so they dont fall off very easily.

Id also like to mention to be very carefull when welding. I do arch welding once in a while and the spars of liquid metal that can fly off sometimes are quick to burn through a table, just imagine how that is with clothes. Of course your all smart enough to know to wear a welding mask so i wont get into that. I dont know very much about it. Ive welded exhaust parts a couple times (lawn mover, crack in explorers cats) with success with the arch welder :D. I plan on welding some sliders when i get ahold of some square tubing. Nothing but chicken s*** welds when i do it but im learning.

Awsome thread, one of the most benificial ones to read :thumbsup:

safety glasses and bondo???

This happened to me about 2 hours ago-

Long story short, ive got an 86 Bronco im working on. The driver's side rear quarter panel is caved in... think backing off into a deep concrete ditch... its caved in up to the gas filler door. Anyhoo, after pounding on it with the old hammer and dolly for a few hours, ive got it pretty damn straight. I think to myself "you know, with about 2-3 thin coats of bondo that sumbitch would be dead on perfect". I get the bondo out, and grab the tube of hardner. If you've ever used Bondo, you know the hardner is in a tube like a little travel style tube of toothpaste. You have to knead the tube of hardner to get it mixed a little before you use it. As soon as i pressed down on the tube, it exploded in my face. Both eyes full of blue goo... i saw it coming in slow motion and didnt even have time to blink. I was blinded (temporarily thank God) and stumbled into the kitchen. I screamed to Brandy "you're gonna have to take me to the hospital!" and went for the sink to rinse my eyes. Brandy looked up the poision BS on the interweb and it said to rinse eyes with water for 15 minutes and if burning persists go to emergency room. Luckily after 15 minutes of rinsing i felt fine, even though both eyes now look like ive smoked 2 ounces of the good stuff.

The bad part about all this is ive been hammering and blocking this damn truck all day, and all day ive been wearing safety glasses. I literally took the glasses off and grabbed the Bondo and thats when the **** exploded in my face. :mad:

Conclusion- wear safety glasses while mixing Bondo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sn0border88 said:
Just curious, but why is that.

Assuming the drum was never filled with flammables and isnt plugged shut.
When you heat something sealed no matter waht is in it the air inside will expand and cause it to explode, people are killed or permanently injured all of the time from this. NEVER heat anything unless you are absolutely sure it is vented, I have witnessed the aftermath, and if you try to cut open a drum with a torch there wont be much left of you after.

If its empty and clean or purged with inert gas then go at it, no problem at all.

Back