Serpentine belt replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Serpentine belt replacement.

dapperdave

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03xlt
Thank you and Hello everyone. My question is --How to replace the serpintine belt on 2005 xlt Explorer? Does the tentioner come off or do you just turn it clockwise or counter clockwise to release the pressure on the belt?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You just turn the tensioner to remove the belt. Pick up a Haynes manual at a local parts store. It can explain it better than I can and it has pictures.

My Explorers each have s sticker by the hood latch showing where to attach the wrench, which way to turn to release tension, and proper belt routing. It might be in the Owners Manual, too. The sticker on the core support will be correct for you vehicle. A picture in manual may not. I had a '93 that was very different than my '94, but used the same belt.

Look at the side of the tensioner that contact the belt. You rotate it the other way, so it moves away from the belt to release tension. Remembering back to the days before tensioners I can say they were one of the greatest "well, duh!" auto inventions ever.

Look at the side of the tensioner that contact the belt. You rotate it the other way, so it moves away from the belt to release tension. Remembering back to the days before tensioners I can say they were one of the greatest "well, duh!" auto inventions ever.

Ha Ha :rolleyes: A belt for this, a belt for that :p:
This is too funny :D
I remember the days of the ac belt, the fan belt and so on. That serpentine belt is something else!!!

That reminds me, I gotta change my belt, but what one, oh yeah it's only one belt! that serpentine is something else unless it goes!!!

Go Bruins, Go Habs!

Ha Ha :rolleyes: A belt for this, a belt for that :p:
This is too funny :D
I remember the days of the ac belt, the fan belt and so on. That serpentine belt is something else!!!

That reminds me, I gotta change my belt, but what one, oh yeah it's only one belt! that serpentine is something else unless it goes!!!

Go Bruins, Go Habs!

Is there a specific torque for the tensioner bolt? I have to replace mine this weekend.

By the way... go Flyers!

tldt2003, are you replacing the tensioner or the belt? Haynes manual gives this info:

Drivebelt Tensioner Mounting Bolt(s):
V-6 - 35 Ft-lbs, 47 Nm
V-8 - 18 Ft-lbs, 25 Nm

Drivebelt Idler Pulley:
V-6 - 35 Ft-lbs, 47 Nm
V-8 - 18 Ft-lbs, 25 Nm

If you are replacing the belt then torque is of no concern, just turn the tensioner to remove the belt. Hope this helps out. :salute:

Edit: Just saw your plug for the Flyers! I wanted to see the Bruins & Habs play each other to reignite the rivalry from the old days but the Flyers took care of both of them. So I guess all there is left to say is: Go Flyers :(

What is the recommended mileage / time for belt replacement?

What is the recommended mileage / time for belt replacement?

1 - when it breaks

2 - 100K miles (I think)

Mine is original at 105K miles and 8 years old. I'm doing a lifetime test on mine:D. It still looks brand new; however, I do have a new belt sitting in the garage waiting for my lazy butt to install.

The best time to replace the belt is when it starts to squeel. If it breaks, you will need the belt, a 3/8 rachet with a handle to move the tensioner, or you can buy the tool at Harbor Frieght tool for $20.00 an keep it in the truck.:D

I just changed mine literally 10 minutes ago as I am doing a fan clutch also. Use a 3/8" breaker bar on the tensioner to remove the belt. As for mileage, mine has 67K on the belt, and there was evidence of cracking, so no sense in putting it back on that way, although I will keep it as a backup in the back storage area. The 4.6 uses a Dayco 101" belt, whereas the goodyear part number is a 100.5" belt. That is the one I wound up with and it fits fine. Also check your idler pulley bearings while you are at it.

I just changed mine literally 10 minutes ago as I am doing a fan clutch also. Use a 3/8" breaker bar on the tensioner to remove the belt. As for mileage, mine has 67K on the belt, and there was evidence of cracking, so no sense in putting it back on that way, although I will keep it as a backup in the back storage area. The 4.6 uses a Dayco 101" belt, whereas the goodyear part number is a 100.5" belt. That is the one I wound up with and it fits fine. Also check your idler pulley bearings while you are at it.

You make several good points.

The belts are cheap and easy to replace so if in doubt, change it out.

Always check the idler pulleys and the fan clutch when the belt is off, for sure. I had to replace two idlers on my previous '97 Ex.

Last, check the inside of the old belt for any indications of rough pulleys, tattered edges, etc, then inspect the pulleys for damage - they can chew up a belt in no time.

Actually, when I pull my belt off here this summer, I will be installing underdrive pulleys.

EasyRhino, OT, do you know where I can get a diagram of the coolant flow direction on the Explorer's 4.6? I believe it goes from the lower hose to the block, through the system, out the thermostat and into the upper hose, but I want to be certain.

EasyRhino, OT, do you know where I can get a diagram of the coolant flow direction on the Explorer's 4.6? I believe it goes from the lower hose to the block, through the system, out the thermostat and into the upper hose, but I want to be certain.

Hmm, got to think about that one.

No, I don't recall ever seeing a picture showing the flow paths.

However, I'm thinking that a person could figure it out, it would just take a little longer.

I would think that the t-stat housing would have to be the outlet, and the hose from the t-stat housing to the radiator is the 'hot leg' and then the hose from the radiator bottom to the block would be the cold leg return.

Yeah, this is a 351w and not the 4.6l mod motor, but the concept should carry across.

302w_Cooling_Diag2.jpg

No idea what this is, beyond appearing to be some sort of straight 6, but agrees with the idea of inlet at the bottom and the tstat as the outlet:

302w_Cooling_Diag.jpg

thanks guys, yes, we figured it out after a quick 1 second cold start, immediately shutting it down. Yes, actually similar flow to the Windsor motors (302, 351). thermostat is the outlet running through the radiator upper hoses, diagonally across the radiator, through the lower hose to the side of the block behind the oil filter. I found a 4.6 Mustang motor diagram. I will try to find it again later and link it in.

back on topic for the OP, hopefully we answered his question as well.

Use a 1/2-inch breaker bar with a 3/8-inch adapter attached. It moved the tensioner real nicely and eased the removal and installation of the belt on my 2010 XLT 4WD.

Back