• Register Today It's free!

Should I trade for this?

Stinger357

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Eddie
I have a 1998 volvo s70 with 163KM on it 4 door in great condition. The guy has a 4 door XLT 1998 Ford Explorer with 138K on it. Seems to be in good condition the only thing I noticed was few little dings in it and the rear wiper blade not working. The cruise control on the steering wheel is wore out no biggie there is still works just looks bad. The radiator resevoir was empty but the temp was normal in the truck. The front seat has a small rip in it no biggie it is cloth. Is there anything else I should look for. It seems to drive nice and has much more power then my 5 cylinder volvo even though my volvo is rated at 168 horses and the 98 ford is rated at 160 horses it seems to get up and go alot faster then mine. It's his wife that will make the decision if she likes my car, I have smoked in it a few times that would be the only killer for her. Maybe 3 or 4 times I smoked in it, other then that it seems to look good. The nada is about the same value also. What do you all think should I join the ford family? Also the tires are worn quite a bit on his ford. It has tinted windows and is red. NO CEL light or anything. I just hate to go from something I know works good to an unknown. But I want an SUV. Let me know what yall think of the 98 ford explorer XLT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I say if you would prefer the explorer, just do the trade. it will be plenty reliable, and when you do need to buy parts to service it, they will not be nearly as expensive as volvo parts.

the reason the explorer feels like it has more "go" than the more powerful and lighter volvo, is probably because the exploeres engine makes more low rpm torque. i'm assuming it has the 4.0 OHV engine since you said 160hp. that engine makes about 200 ft/lb of torque. the 4.0 ohv is a lower powered, but very reliable good engine.

as for things to look for, other than the obvious, i'd say does the trans shift good? that may be a consideration. see if the trans fluid is clean and red or dark brown and dirty. fwiw i just replaced my trans but it was at 215k miles.

another consideration is that the explorer will get about 15mpg average where as you're Volvo probably gets about 22 mpg average.. so you will be paying more in fuel, but this is the case with all suv's.

yeah mate trade for the explorer, as safe as vulvas...I mean volvos are you cant beat a boxed chassis in a collision

Asking that question on here is a bit like asking a dog if it wants more food. We're not exactly what you'd call unbiased observers. I assume you're getting it to have 4x4 in the winter? Go ahead and try out the 4x4 system to see if it works. Also, swing by someplace with a code scanner after a lengthy test drive and see if there are any pending codes. People can clear them and they won't show up for awhile but they may show up as pending. Finally, get under the thing and look for obvious fluid leaks and how bad the rust is.

Well I live in texas so the 4x4 is not really a big deal just an added bonus if we do get snow but I will make sure it works. Thanks for the advise he is going to trade with me for the day and I am going to take it to my mechanic to inspect. I am afraid he might be the one that backs out since I have smoked a couple times in my vehicle and he is allergic to smoke and so is his baby. So if anyone backs out it will be him, but it was a good sign he called me first thing this morning considering we looked at each others cars last night at 1:00am. So I Will let you know how this turns out.

Hi everybody!! I decided to join and see what information is here and I can see there is a lot! My dad, reapereviltwin, talks a lot about the EF and the peeps here, so now I am here!!:D

Hi everybody!! I decided to join and see what information is here and I can see there is a lot! My dad, reapereviltwin, talks a lot about the EF and the peeps here, so now I am here!!:D

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Well I have the truck for the day to test it out. I noticed when I switch the 4x4 to high or low or auto no light comes on the dash, is it supposed to show high or low when it is engaged? I am wondering if the 4x4 is not working. I was in park when I turned it and also while driving and no light on the dash came on.

a way you can check to make sure that 4wd is working, is with the truck in neutral, put it into 4-Lo, if you hear a very low clunk then you're in 4-lo and the lights just out, if it doesn't clunk then there's a problem.

Well I put it in N and switched it to high and low just heard a clicking sound., no clunk...but the 4x4 high light did come on when it was on high...the low light did not come on.

Well the guy backed out of the trade said my car had too many issues...lol....oh well no harm I'm still on a search for a ford explorer and I will find one one day soon!

also just for future note, when you switch from 4hi to 4low you need to have the truck in neutral, or it will not shift...

Ok back with another trade deal. This time it is a 1997 ford explorer XLT with v6 and 135K on it. It does have a sunroof which is what I have wanted and 4 doors. The guy lives in Oklahoma about 200 miles away, he said he would be willing to meet half way. Here is his ad the way he posted it...kinda scares me a bit. Fair condition and runs OK. Tires in good shape and new battery. Needs tune-up and alignment. Willing to Trade for a small car.
He says the front bumper on the right has a dent in it from another car, and it would cost 125 to have it fixed. He is asking 1750 for his explorer, and my volvo is worth 2800 private party value...but my volvo has some issues also. That is one heck of a drive half way up there for a piece of crap if it turns out to be that. Should I ask for more pics etc....Anything I should ask about it? The part that scares me about his ad is it says fair condition and runs OK!!!! Most people don't put that in unless it runs really bad, they usually say things like runs great! So maybe he is just being honest...Any help would be appreciated I will check the classified section also.

Get the VIN number and run a check to see what the accident was. That will also let you find out what type of engine it has. Why does he need an alignment and a fixed bumper unless he was in an accident? I'd have him send a couple pictures first.

Well he sent me some additional pics and the ding on the bumper is so small not even worth it to fix just let it be. He said it would need a realignment because his son drove it in 4x4 and he said it is a little off when you drive it and it sat for 1 year and he just put new tires on it and got them balanced but did not do an alignement. Also the check engine light is on saying a misfire so it seems to need a good tuneup 1 of the plugs are prob bad. The interior is real clean, the leather seat in the drivers side has a few small tears in it. The sunroof works all the gauges work, he said we could meet up half way possibly tonight in bowie which is half way for him and me about 80 miles. He saidc a mechanic looked at it and said there were no oil leaks and everything checked out except the tuneup and alignement which I can have done. And I told him all the issues I had with my volvo. He said he has owned volvo's and likes them. that 5 cylinder in that thing sounds like a diesel and doesnt have a whole lot of power compared to the explorer with 205 hp. Mine only has 168 and the torgue/ft sucks on it. I drove a 97 explorer earlier last week and it had tons of power. So If you can think of anything else I might just go meet him tonight in bowie and check it out.

also found out it is an eddie bauer edition. So which engine woudl it have the SOHC v6 or just the OHC and is it 4.0 liter? What exactly does the eddie bauer edition add to the truck?

Well I think I am going to do this thing...we are meeting up in bowie at 3:30pm. Since he is oklahoma he has a green title and no inspection required so I would have to get it inspected here in texas. He is going to create a bill of sale for us to sign so we can show that if need be. Here's hoping I like what I see for a 97 Ford Explorer v6 eddie bauer edition blue with tan 2 tone color. I will report back here when I get back with it.

Why the rush? Try it out and see how you like it and check for problems. I wouldn't trust someone else saying the "got a mechanic to look at it and it's perfect". A misfire isn't necessarily an easy fix if you're using it as a daily driver as it might involve tearing down the engine. What is he asking for it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He is asking 1750 for it on cl or trade. My volvo is worth 2700 private party and his is showing book value of 2500. he said it had been sitting in his driveway for over 1 year. thats why the low miles of 135K. My buddy said it was sitting for a reason prob because of the issues it has. My car has it shares of issues also, oil leak, motor mounts need replaced. Valve cover gaskets are leaking...ac compressor is hanging by a hose no bolt in it. Also the conter console of my volvo was removed and superglued back in and it creaks bad...also speeds above 75 the car shakes real bad.

Back