• Register Today It's free!

Simple 4” to wireless car play?

Jman44123

Reaction score
City, State
Lake City, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Base
Hello. I have been lurking for a while but I swear I can’t find an answer to my specific scenarios. I have the 4” screen with manual ac and rear a/c. I want to add a backup camera and wireless CarPlay. While I was looking into aftermarket options the ac controls seem janky.

Can I just buy a Sony 8” with the updated sync that support wireless CarPlay?

So I would be buying this OEM Sync 2 To 3 Upgrade Kit 3.4 For Ford Sync3 Apim Module with Wireless Carplay | eBay

And this

And then the adapter

Is this all I need or am I making stuff up and this is not possible. Plus camera of course but I’ll worry about that later.

This is my current radio ac setup

Hello. I have been lurking for a while but I swear I can’t find an answer to my specific scenarios. I have the 4” screen with manual ac and rear a/c. I want to add a backup camera and wireless CarPlay. While I was looking into aftermarket options the ac controls seem janky.
Just wanted to say, Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm sure there are members that would be able to provide the proper info. I haven't done any of this but know that with the 2016 refresh, there were several changes to the electrical system. Therefore I don't know if that Radio Control Panel would work. Good luck.

Peter

That should work but I’d highly recommend using allthingssync.com (mitral shah) for your sync 3 kit. A lot of third party sites sell china clone hardware. Also make sure the control panel is the same year range as your car (11-15 and 16-19 are different/different plug)

I got it to work.

Yes i used China clones because it was 1/3 the price. It works great. If theres any issues i will upgrade to oem.

In the meantime, the $400 was worth it.

Back