• Register Today It's free!

snorkel install on 97 5.0

97ford50x

Reaction score
City, State
Enola PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 5.0 xlt
I have been here a little while and have seen a lot of crazy stuff so i decided to do the same For starters I have a 1997 ex with a 5.0 awd 81000 miles first thing I did was the warrior shackles and tt added 31*10.50*15 pro comp mud terrain tires.and I also made the clear side markers by cutting out the orange reflector was in the mud the other day and sucked up some water:thumbdwn: got it dried out and decided to build a snorkel I have seen alot here but never on a 5.0 so i thought i would show you progress first off comes the fender then I used my rotozip and cut the fender brace out of the way then i cut a hole in the inner fender removed the air box and cut hole in that took a 6in piece of 3in thin walled pvc pipe and rtv'd it in place sealed all holes in the air box that is all the light i had tonight will continue tomorrow and hopefully finish it off Saturday?:D

well it rained all day Friday so i did not get any thing done but today was good snorkel is complete
all I have to do is install fender will do that tomorrow this is how it was done once the air box has dried i took a bolt and added a little support to the intake tube as seen in the picture added a 90 deg.elbow cut a 29 in.piece of tubing added another 90 deg. elbow 4.5 in piece of tubing a 45 deg.elbow a 20.5 in. of tubing another 45 and a 90deg.elbow for the inlet and a drain cap for he opening painted it let it dry and then glued it together with pcv cement then i took a piece of aluminum angle flaened it about a inch and a quarter on each end and bolted it to the roof making sure to use sealant so i have no leaks and a 3 in hose clamp to hold it in place will finish painting and install fender tomorrow I do need some ideas about an antenna do not want it in front of inlet any ideas will help ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

100_3692.jpg

100_3695.jpg

100_3693.jpg

100_3696.jpg

100_3698.jpg

100_3699.jpg

cant wait to see this done!!

100_3717.jpg

100_3716.jpg

thanks for doing my pics for me yomie what am i doing wrong?
once I get the body work done I am going to herculiner the whole thing so i am not realy worried with how it looks now need ideas for the antenna

For the antenna you could just run a flexible wire up the backside of the tube and have it stop at the top of it.

When you put the pic on photobucket, there is a link on the right side of the pic that says something like, use this link for bulleting boards and message boards, if you copy that link you will not need the IMG tags tehy already put them in there, if you right click the pic and get the properties it will give you the wrong link

snorkel routing and everythign looks great, personally i would have got a used fender and hacked it up instead of hacking up the stock fender. never know what may happen down the road, you might want that 'stock look' back. as for an antenna.. might wanna think about a rear bumper mount? or a short universal rubber antenna mounted through the wiper cowl?

snorkel routing and everythign looks great, personally i would have got a used fender and hacked it up instead of hacking up the stock fender. never know what may happen down the road, you might want that 'stock look' back. as for an antenna.. might wanna think about a rear bumper mount? or a short universal rubber antenna mounted through the wiper cowl?

good advise have another fender as a spare actualy am getting a hole front clip thanks if it ever stops raining i will get started on the fender will show pics when all done

I am curious is your EX underwater alot? I guess I dont understand the purpose of the snorkel.

it is not under water a lot but i do alotot of water crossings and were the origonal intake was [right behind the headlight] i would go through alot of air cleaners! besides with the snorkel on it runs alot better[cleaner colder air] and I dont have to worry about hydrolocking.

out of all the "snorkel install" posts that i've seen, this has got to be the easies design yet.

I really like this. What is the head made out of? You don't have the classic ARB snorkel head which I think looks too large.

I really like this. What is the head made out of? You don't have the classic ARB snorkel head which I think looks too large.

It is a 45 deg. and a 90 deg with a drain grate [it is the thing you see in a floor drain lowes $2.75 total job with pcv cement and all under $40.00!

Do you think that's really going to keep out rain water? :scratch:

How did you seal the other hole in the airbox?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you think that's really going to keep out rain water? :scratch:

yes it does it has been raining here for 2 days hard and i put on about 50 miles and the air cleaner is dry.

Back