Time for tires | Page 36 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Your thread was merged with this one. I think you may be only among a handful of members that actually replaced Hankook tires with another set of Hankook tires. Just check their website and you will see the H426 is still available but not the Optimo which I believe was just available on new vehicles. As for the Ventus model, there are many versions of it. The Ventus Noble 2 has many issues shown on this site. I think you likely meant Dynapro for the other tire. Personally, I think you can much better with other brands. I always try to get an idea of what others have experienced by reading the reviews of customers on various tire sites.

Peter
Thanks for getting back to me.
Yes, Dynap should have read Dynapro 226.

What would you recommend? I just want a similar ride and the same all season treads.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only tires, non-winter, I bought were the Yokohama Parada Spec-X for my 2011 Limited. Since I lease my vehicles, the only other tires I have bought are dedicated winter tires, usually Bridgestone, which I use every year when it gets cold. I never use so-called all-season for winter driving.
Your best bet is to check out this thread and/or actual user reviews on the various tire site.

Peter

Has anyone tried the new Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra's?

I'm curious as well. I know these may have just been released. But man, I hate the oem Hankooks my 19 has. The AT Hankkoks my 2016 F150 4x4 came with are amazing. But, these Ventus S1 Noble 2's suck imo.

I'm curious as well. I know these may have just been released. But man, I hate the oem Hankooks my 19 has. The AT Hankkoks my 2016 F150 4x4 came with are amazing. But, these Ventus S1 Noble 2's suck imo.
Yes, the stock tires are awful.

These new Alenza's seem like a good balance of ride quality, performance in dry, wet and light snow. That treadwear warranty is exceptional, too! I had the Michelin Premiers (2014 Sport) and was not impressed. 40k and they needed replaced. For the cost, it was not even close to worth it.

Going to keep an eye on these, for sure!

Yes, the stock tires are awful.

These new Alenza's seem like a good balance of ride quality, performance in dry, wet and light snow. That treadwear warranty is exceptional, too! I had the Michelin Premiers (2014 Sport) and was not impressed. 40k and they needed replaced. For the cost, it was not even close to worth it.

Going to keep an eye on these, for sure!
I just replaced my Premiers w/ 40k miles last weekend. I agree, not worth the price.

I installed Firestone Destination LE3s. They seem to get good ratings and were less than $200/tire....plus an $80 rebate. We'll see how they do in the coming months/years.

I'm very happy with the BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT that I've been running for about two years now. They are wearing so much better than the Michelin Premier LTX I replaced.

In almost 200,000 miles on my ‘16 sport, I’ve had of course the stock Hankooky’s (15,000🤢🤢), then Michelin premiers (50,000) quiet performance; good on ice, the Cooper SRX’s (50,000) constant psi adjustment but good H-rated tire, the the cooper discoverer AT3 4s (50,000 miles) great tire but last 10,000 thought I needed new wheel bearings; and did replace all 4 but the intense noise from the tires end of life was unbearable…never again…AND THEN;

ding ding ding…light bulb. Let’s go back to the tires you’ve been using on all your trucks and SUV’s for thirty years…(currently have 15,000 miles on them)…
MICHELIN DEFENDER LTX’s. I DON’T CARE WHERE YOU LIVE BE IT BLIZZARDS, EXTREME HEAT, RAIN, ICE…THERE IS NOT A BETTER, QUIETER, MORE PREDICTABLE, LONGER LASTING, AMERICAN MADE/FRENCH OWNED TIRE OUT THERE…screw the commercial; for the explorer and if you’re gonna keep it another 75,000 miles, spend the dough and BUY THE DEFENDERS! ITS ALL YOU NEED…for anything!

I rotate every 5K, rears forward, criss-cross fronts back!

BTW, another 2 feet of snow coming in tonight and the LTX’s are just fine with that!

BTW, another 2 feet of snow coming in tonight and the LTX’s are just fine with that!
While it may have decent snow traction, being that it is a so-called all-season tire, it will begin to lose grip at 43 F and get worse from there down. While it may not be a big deal in snow, it would be on cold bare surfaces. That's just a fact.
BTW, the tire is no longer listed on Tire Rack. Haven't checked other tire sites other than Michelin.

Peter

I recently had my XLT shod with Goodyear Eagles. My Michelin Latitudes were getting old and worn and moving to the desert (near Las Vegas) put them over the edge as they started to crack. The combination of steelies and the Goodyears should be fine for occasional off pavement exploring in Nevada. They are M+S rated.

IMG_20210917_164052287_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210917_164536546_HDR.jpg

While it may have decent snow traction, being that it is a so-called all-season tire, it will begin to lose grip at 43 F and get worse from there down. While it may not be a big deal in snow, it would be on cold bare surfaces. That's just a fact.
BTW, the tire is no longer listed on Tire Rack. Haven't checked other tire sites other than Michelin.

Peter
All season may start to lose grip below 43F, but a good all season will still outperform a average to poor winter tire at that temp in wet and dry conditions. Actually, in the below test, the all season dry braking distance got shorter the colder the temp got.
I know, it's just a brake test, but shows that you can still have decent performance from an all season at temps down to the freezing mark on wet/dry roads.

The Defenders are on Tirerack.

Peter
You act like 43 is some magic number. It’s 100% not. The tire isn’t fine at 45 and a death trap at 42. Every all season tire will absolutely be different in its effective temperature range. Absolute fact. Winter tires also lose grip the colder it gets. They also wear faster if you get above that magic number.

I’ll take a top of the line all season over a bargain winter tire.

That figure is a popular temperature referenced in many articles on tires. Because of a difference and more pliable compound, winter tires don't lose grip as quickly as a regular tire. You can get all-season bargain brands as well so I'm referring to tires of equal quality. I use the Blizzak DM-V2.

Peter

It’s probably a marketing number based on the average winter low temperature of the majority of places.

Winter tires also have extended braking distances on wet pavement. So if you get wet pavement where you are at in the winter you’d have just a strong argument AGAINST winter only tires. Be a shame to get in an accident on a 44 degree day because you made the call to go with winter only tires.

Not true for some modern winter tires. Besides, we don't get much rain here or 44 degree weather in winter. :D Also, the small insurance discount is nice too. I can get a couple of coffees while waiting for the rain. ;)

Peter

Peter
I agree. Those Defenders are good tires. No question. But, in the cold weather? Nothing beats a good snow tire. I've run Blizzak's for years' and couldn't be happier with them.

I've had the Bridgestone Alenza AS Ultra's on now for a few months. Couldn't be happier with how smooth and quiet they are. They have done well in the rain and even light snow. Time will tell on the treadwear, but I'm happy with what I have so far!

Not true for some modern winter tires. Besides, we don't get much rain here or 44 degree weather in winter. :D Also, the small insurance discount is nice too. I can get a couple of coffees while waiting for the rain. ;)

Peter
Ahhhh. So all “so called all seasons” suck below the magic 43, but some winter tires have great warm weather wet traction. Weird how the winter tires can do both things, but NO all terrain can. Gotcha.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ahhhh. So all “so called all seasons” suck below the magic 43, but some winter tires have great warm weather wet traction. Weird how the winter tires can do both things, but NO all terrain can. Gotcha.
Never said any of the above. You're beginning to make things up but that's okay. Whatever makes you feel good.

Peter

Back