• Register Today It's free!

Tire size OPTIONS help!

PRE-H20

Reaction score
City, State
california
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer sport
hey fellas.... just kinda curious the options for tire sizes on a stock 94 explorer rim?

just for everyday use, zoom around the neighborhood SUV nothing fancy about it but needing tires soon so i thought i would ask.

also does anyone have a console like the one in the picture to sell cheap?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely go 235/75 R15. The stock tires that came from the factory were 225 or 215/70's, and did not perform well. I switched to the bigger tires after owning the truck for the first two years because of balancing and wear problems on the smaller ones...solved my problem. The speedo in now a liittle off, actually by 10%...so when it reads 60, I know I'm going 66, etc.

ricco,

do you have pictures of what the bigger tires look like on your explorer?

Definitely go 235/75 R15. The stock tires that came from the factory were 225 or 215/70's, and did not perform well. I switched to the bigger tires after owning the truck for the first two years because of balancing and wear problems on the smaller ones...solved my problem. The speedo in now a liittle off, actually by 10%...so when it reads 60, I know I'm going 66, etc.

Going from stock size to 235 will not cause that much of a difference, i find it hard to believe your speedo is 6 mph off going 60. And the difference in speed changes the faster you go, so the difference at 10 mph will be much smaller than the difference when you're going 70 mph. The speedo wouldn't be 6 mph off when you're only moving 6 mph.

sooooooooo getting back to the thread.... does anyone have pictures of what the bigger tires look like?

or does anyone have a console like the one i circled in the picture above?

thanks....

I don't believe I've ever seen a grey one like that, but I haven't been looking real hard. lol All of the consoles I have seen are black in that section. You could try some local junk yards or just start searching on the web.

Mounty71, he said it was off 10% and percentages scale. So your argueing the same point he already said. 6mph + 10% = 6.6mph, 30mph + 10% = 33mph

As for the pictures of larger tires, check through some of the photographs on this site. They have a lot of good looking trucks and you may see something extra that you want to do to your truck. The link to the photo gallery is in the upper right of this page, just under the "search" field.

Mounty71, he said it was off 10% and percentages scale. So your argueing the same point he already said. 6mph + 10% = 6.6mph, 30mph + 10% = 33mph

You are correct, i guess i overlooked that part, sorry.

ricco,

do you have pictures of what the bigger tires look like on your explorer?

Give me until tomorrow...trust me they look good.

Going from stock size to 235 will not cause that much of a difference, i find it hard to believe your speedo is 6 mph off going 60. And the difference in speed changes the faster you go, so the difference at 10 mph will be much smaller than the difference when you're going 70 mph. The speedo wouldn't be 6 mph off when you're only moving 6 mph.

I checked the speed with my handheld aviation GPS. Perhaps you did not see that I said ten percent...6 at 60, therefore 1 at 10.

I belive stock tire size is 235/75/15. When I'm ready to replace, i'm looking towards `31's...ie. 265/75/15...even with that much of a tire size increase over stock, the speedo error is less then 10%....so moving to 235 from 225 is marginal...nothing to worry about. Also, moving to 31's will in effect raise your gear ratio by about .2 ish from my calcs.

hey i have 30 950's on my explorer check my link in my sig. i had 235s im pleased. mileage is lil worse but its not that bad.

I belive stock tire size is 235/75/15. When I'm ready to replace, i'm looking towards `31's...ie. 265/75/15...even with that much of a tire size increase over stock, the speedo error is less then 10%....so moving to 235 from 225 is marginal...nothing to worry about. Also, moving to 31's will in effect raise your gear ratio by about .2 ish from my calcs.

Per my original owner's manual, and the original safety sticker on the driver's side door, and the tire that's been hanging underneath my truck for the last 15 years, the stock tire size was 225/70 R15.:usa:

I checked the speed with my handheld aviation GPS. Perhaps you did not see that I said ten percent...6 at 60, therefore 1 at 10.

You are right ricco. And maybe you didn't see my apology for overlooking it either. :rolleyes:

You are right ricco. And maybe you didn't see my apology for overlooking it either. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Mounty...I replied to your original post before I scrolled down to see the rest. Sorry.:usa:

hmm...weird ricco. My sticker says 235/75/15...my hunch is that I see you drive a 4x2 per your info. My guess is that the 4x2's came with smaller tires (ie. non-off roading) then the 4x4's did.

Yea mine came with 235/75/15 while my neighbors 4x2 came with the smalller size.

hmm...weird ricco. My sticker says 235/75/15...my hunch is that I see you drive a 4x2 per your info. My guess is that the 4x2's came with smaller tires (ie. non-off roading) then the 4x4's did.

Yeah, my wife thinks I'm weird too. Seriously, this is interesting and good to know. IMO the smaller tires should never been used...definitely not a better idea...shaving costs, I guess.:usa:

I have a 93 sport trac (no lift what so ever) and have 31's on. This size looks pretty darn good on there. Speedo is off a bit but I've since unhooked the cable from the T-case so I hardly even notice it.

hey pre h20 ( or anyone here) i know you guys are talking about tire sizes but on pre h20's truck i noticed the totaled blacked out side moulding,i got a deep jewle green x with that orange side moulding stripe...did yours come with that or did you do that your self ? this is what mine looks like and by the way mine came stock with p235/75/r15 tires. thanks .........:)

DSCN1059.jpg

bytw: nice truck pre-h20

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sooooooooo getting back to the thread.... does anyone have pictures of what the bigger tires look like?

or does anyone have a console like the one i circled in the picture above?

thanks....

i have the same console.. mine is not black.. mine is the exact same color as yours.. although i need it in my truck!!! here is a pic of 235/75/15....

xploder2.jpg

and another

xploder1.jpg

and 225/70s are stock on 2 and 4 wheels drives.. it is a manufacturer upgrade to have the 235/75.. which i have on mine.. although next time i buy tires i as well am going with 31s.....

Back