Transmission dumped all fluid at once? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission dumped all fluid at once?

TN_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
5-1991's; 1-94; 1-2000
I'm looking at a '92 with a bad transmission. The story is the son drove it over to his girlfriend's house, and when they went to leave, it went "pop" and dumped all the fluid. They say he didn't drive it, they towed it home & parked it. Sounds like a ruptured seal, but why the "pop?"

I'd appreciate any thoughts before I commit. It also needs some major cosmetics (hood, front fenders & bumper), but these seem to be readily available & not too expensive. It's an EB with all power, pretty clean interior, & 4WD. If I don't have to replace the transmission it will probably be a good deal as a first car for my son.

Thanks for your thoughts on the transmission.

-- Mike

Mike.... I cannot comment on the POP... but you could easily rebuild the trannie - yer a PRO now. Tell em a new trannie will cost you 1800 bucks and get a good price, then rebuild it... I'm happy to offer Long Distance assistance.

"POP" could have been a transmission line or fitting? If a simple line connection rupture, then a repair/replacement and fluid refill would be much better than a whole transmission repair/rebuild. Have you inspected it, or had your mechanic do so?

Trannie Pro?

Thanks, Glacier! It's great to hear from you! I made it through the valve body & would do that again, but I'm pretty certain that doesn't make me a pro. Maybe 15% pro, but probably no more ;)

I'm thinking along the lines of performance nut -- hoping it's something like a seal, line, or maybe the accumulator?

Thinking hard on this one -- They're "hoping" to get $500. It's pretty hard to go wrong, but on the other hand, after the body & trans work, it wouldn't be hard to have $3- $4K in it, and I could get a nice running one for that.

Back