• Register Today It's free!

Transmission help

96_Exploder

Reaction score
City, State
originaly Buckholts, Texas / Stationed at Ft. Bragg NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
I have a 96 XLT 4.0L AT 4x4. This truck has been a great vehicle got it back in 2012 as a weekend warrior and then turned into a daily and everything in between. Im on my second transmission, 5th transfer case, and 3rd torque converter. recently I lost my second transmission, will only go in reverse, was slipping in drive for about a week prior to losing first. Granted i pulled this trans from a junk yard with no idea how many miles were on it. i did replace the filter and fluid prior to install and put a new torque converter in while i was there. question i have is what may be causing the trans to fail so quick the second trans ran great when installed but only lasted 2 months last summer in Phoenix before i moved back to texas where the truck has sat for a year. truck is lifted with 33s.

5 transfer cases?? :wtf: I don't know how you are destroying those with only 33's, but goddamn.

As for the transmission, without any idea of the miles on it, it may have just been inevitable, regardless of a new torque converter. Used transmissions are like that, you just don't know what the state of it was before installing it.

Back