• Register Today It's free!

turbo 2.3..... need help

351wExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 sport
well i am in the market for a 95-97ish ranger. I am looking for a 2wd 2.3 with a 5speed. My question is, how different is the older 2.3 turbos to the newer 2.3s? I was originally hoping that i could just bolt on an intake and a manifold and plumb the turbo but the more i thought about it i dont think that it will just bolt up.... next idea, couldnt i just build an adaptor,that would allow the intake manifold to bolt up, because i am almost certain that exhaust manifold and turbo will bolt up no problem. Would there be any type of problems with the MAF or would that all be okay. Speaking of MAFs couldnt i just plumb the turbo right into maf and be alright, or would all the air mess it up. Also if that was the case couldnt i put the maf on the intake side of the turbo, or would i then have way to much air for the amount of fuel? If anyone has any knowlege on this please help me out.

THe ranger will also be getting a djm 3/4 drop, roller cam, 3inch downpipe off the turbo, no muffler, unless, wait is there a post cat 02, because if that is the case, hmmm, so many questions. BUt i plan on a huge wastegate and some other things i cant thing of. as soon as i sell the explorer i will be able to fund this truck with cash, the only problem is the turbo, so if anyone can help me out or has any ideas let me know

If you still have questions on the 2.3t swap, check turboford.net. Lots of guys there run rangers with that set up. Be prepared to search.

they changed the heads dramatically when the 2.3L went to the 2 plugs per cylinder, not sure your intake or exhaust theories have any merit.

Back