Two CB antennas? (not what you think) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Two CB antennas? (not what you think)

So, I'm thinking I want to have two CB antennas on my truck, one on the roof, probably a roof mounted wilson 1000 with a 66 inch whip, and the other a 4 or 5 foot Firestik mounted on the corner of the rear bumper. Both of these running to an antenna switch, so only one is in use at a time.

I'd like to have the Wilson for use on the highway, or when low hanging trail obstacles aren't an issue, like out in the desert. But when they ARE an issue, I'd like to be able to remove the Wilson (simply screw it off the mount, and cap the mount) and switch to the bumper mounted antenna, which will only be used (and only really useful for) talking close by to other 4x4 vehicles.

Whatcha think? Here's a switch:

CS201.jpg

http://www.walcottcb.com/cs201-position-coax-switch-p-220.html?cPath=28_354

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, the BEST place for a CB antenna is mounted ontop of the the roof of the car. When you have an antenna place on the side rear bumper, you mostly get signals from the side that the antenna is on because the other side is blocked by your car (But you still get like a 2mi radius of reception). If I were to do 2 antennas (Which I will, I only have one on my rear bumper), I would put an antenna on both the left and right side rear bumper, and then get a Y splitter to connect both antenna's to the CB radio. That way you get signals strong from BOTH sides, not just one. And also that way you don't have to take off the antenna ontop of your exploder and no need to have a switch.

your receive signal will be just as directional as your transmit signal.

co phase antennas don't really buy you much on a small vehicle - the increased directionality (co phase antennas are NOT omni-directional) is not realized like all the graphs and plots show because of the proximinity of your antennas to eachother. most plots are based on the antennas being at the ends of the cables (a co phase harness is usually 18' per leg). Co phasing antennas, in theory, would force your signal to be directional towards the front and back of your vehicle (up and down the highway).

From looking at that product, he isn't trying to co-phase. He wants to be able to take off the tall antenna and not have to mess with wires...

As I see it, have one perm. mount antenna that isn't idea, and have a mag mount on the roof. Use that switch thing to change which antenna is getting the signal..

Now, if your off-roading and find the good antenna is too tall just remove the antenna (unsrew it from the base) and flip the switch..

BUT.. If you ever key the mic when the switch turned to the antenna that isn't connected you will probably burn up the finals on the radio, so just be careful.

~Mark

From looking at that product, he isn't trying to co-phase. He wants to be able to take off the tall antenna and not have to mess with wires...

That's exactly it.

As I see it, have one perm. mount antenna that isn't idea, and have a mag mount on the roof. Use that switch thing to change which antenna is getting the signal..

Now, if your off-roading and find the good antenna is too tall just remove the antenna (unsrew it from the base) and flip the switch..

Yea, that is what I'm looking to do =] Though I'll probably permanent mount the roof antenna, the mag seems to come undone, and I hate trying to hide the coax coming in off the roof. Pluss if I remove the antenna, i gotta deal with it flopping around in the back of the truck. Even with the antenna removed from the base it's still somewhat of a pain in the patooey.

BUT.. If you ever key the mic when the switch turned to the antenna that isn't connected you will probably burn up the finals on the radio, so just be careful.

~Mark

Always good advice =] I accidentally keyed the mike the other day with the antenna in the back of the truck, luckily the radio still works fine =]

I've got the same setup on my Blazer. A main one mounted at the back and a smaller one on the wing mirror. I've got a roof antenna on the Explorer at the moment and I'm trying to find a decent place to mount a shorter one for close range off road use.

I don't use a switch though. I'm happy enough to just screw in the other coax, obviously not when driving!

I use a permanent mount PL mount on the roof. It has a cap to cover the connector when not in use. I'll put some pics up if you like. It's very clean.

I've got the same setup on my Blazer. A main one mounted at the back and a smaller one on the wing mirror. I've got a roof antenna on the Explorer at the moment and I'm trying to find a decent place to mount a shorter one for close range off road use.

I don't use a switch though. I'm happy enough to just screw in the other coax, obviously not when driving!

I use a permanent mount PL mount on the roof. It has a cap to cover the connector when not in use. I'll put some pics up if you like. It's very clean.

A common place seems to be a bracket that bolts across the top two tail light screws, and lets you mount your antenna out to the side of the truck. I'll probably do that with a firestik.

For the roof I'm going to use the permanent mount too. My wilson 1k mag mount even came with a cap for when the antenna is unscrewed =]

Mine has a beautiful cap for the mount for when I'm not using it. I managed to mangle my antenna last time I went off road so I'll have to get into the habit of taking it off.

I saw that bracket for a Cherokee but the screws for the lights are at a 45 degree angle I think. A simple straight bracket wouldn't go on anyway. Then comes the problem of routing the coax. I can't find a gap in the firewall to bring the cable in or anything. It's not like the Blazer where there are gaps and holes everywhere.

Ahh cheers for that link. Are they Firestiks? The only antennas I can find are whippy ones. The thicker ones looks good in a place like that.

I'll fab myself up a pair of them in the near future. Thanks!

They look like firestiks but I'm not sure.. I know that's what I'll be using though!

hey inh what gauge steel is your antenna brackets made of? do your taillights wobble in and out at all?

inh,

In theory a good idea, that is what experimenting is all about but why bother.

If trail communications is the only thing you are thinking about for the second antenna, consider a Rubber Duck Antenna, tuned for CB frequency (not for low SWR) and adapted to the Wilson Mount.

I used to use this setup when I had the K-40 on the roof, worked OK not the best but it worked none the less.

Compare cost and see if it works for you.

Back