Video shooting tips...

mmpc

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Escape: No Boundaries
Another person on the board asked me for some video shooting tips now that off-roading season is in full force. Below, I've compiled six basic (some might say obvious) suggestions. Please feel free to add to them...

Basic Video Shooting Tips:

1) Wipe your eye... This seems obvious, but MANY people never even think to clean their lens! Especially in places like Moab where a lot of dust and grit builds up, it's a good idea to check at least once a day. Also, if you've been anywhere near water (puddles count), be sure to check your lens after shooting - water is notorious for ugly spotting.

2) God's spotlight... Another seemingly obvious one, try to keep the sun at your back, or at least to the side. Unless you like silhouetted shots with streaks of light through the picture (lens flare), shooting into - or in the direction of - the sun is generally a bad idea.

3) In-N-Out is for burgers... Zooming is great to frame up your shot or doing some artsy stuff like pulling back from a close-up of a rock to show an X flying by. Otherwise, it's best to leave it alone! Nothing ruins shots more than constant zooming in, zooming out!

4) Hold it...! Another thing people tend to do is take 2 or 3 second shots or shots that never "settle." Footage like that can rarely if ever be used in editing. If they're spectacular, they'll either have to be slowed down to extend them, or used as a still frame - not an ideal situation either way! An old shooter's tip is to always have your shots last at least 7 seconds. Once you're framed up and in focus on what you want to shoot, count to 7 in your head and don't move your shot (other than to follow action) or stop recording until then.

5) Do you hear what I hear...? A lot of people either forget or don't care that camcorders record sound along with picture! But sound can add a lot - especially those engine revs, pops, squeeks and skids that happen when shooting on the trail. So, to get the best possible audio, try to refrain from talking while shooting and either ask those around you to be quiet or move away from them - unless you want to have their commentary on tape (which is sometimes fun).

6) Got tripod...? Then consider using it! Except for fast moving action shots (like a lot of wheeling), tripods are great for making landscapes, pans and slower moving or "static" shots MUCH more watchable.

Now, get out there and shoot! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Tip-O-Day -

Watch your breathing! My camcorder's mic is so sensistive, it picks up any breathing near it, and makes you sound like your gasping for air.

Because of that, I usually find a place that I can setup my camera on it's tripod, and turn it on, and then leave it! That means walking several feet away from it, and just watching the carnage from a different location.

For some reason, that makes a great video shot, and it's free of stupid things, like me trying to see what's going on, heavy breathing, constant zooming/in out, and camera whips.

I agree.

Ditto Tom's suggestion. If your camcorder's mike is sensitive enough to pick up the gasping breath from your old fat-arsed out-of-shape self that just had to climb up that vertical ledge to get that great shot, get away from the mike, thankyewverymuch :D

And you should also have the courtesy to turn the mike off when the person that you are videoing is messing up his shorts and screaming for a winch. :p

Or not :D

Good one, Tom! You're absolutely correct about the camera mics, especially the ones from Sony! For some reason they chose to use an omnidirectional (picks up all around the camera - even the operator behind) instead of a unidirectional or "shotgun" mic on their cameras - very annoying! I just try and hold my breath as long as I can, or take shallow breaths facing away from the mic as much as possible. Otherwise, it sounds like you're really...uh...excited... :D

As for turning off the mic as Gerald suggests - no way - that's half the fun...! :p

Another tip - storing tapes. Always store tapes standing up - don't lay it on it's side (that's the flattest part).

Laying them on the side causes the tape inside to curl over - and eventually, fuse together.

Placing a tape so the tape lays flat keeps this from happening.

Good archival tip! Allow me to add to it. When storing tapes vertically ( l not _ )as tdavis recommends, always rewind them first so the spool with the greatest amount of tape is at the bottom when the tape is standing up. The reason for this is gravity - if the majority of tape is on the top reel/spool, it can cause wear and stretching of the tape...

Back