Volvo SX sterndrive removal/gimble lube | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Volvo SX sterndrive removal/gimble lube

Hank

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Coral, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 EB
I know that this is a bit of a stretch but are there any boat mechanics out there?

I have a boat with a 99 3.0 Volvo SX sterndrive and need to lube the gimble bearing. She is out of warranty and I want to handle all the maintenance myself. According to the drive manual the outdrive must be removed. Of course no instructions are included.

I have searched everywhere for a manual but Clymer and Chilton/Seloc only go as recent as 1996. Several sources have indicated that there are enough changes where I would be wasting my money on a manual for the 96. I have contacted Volvo Penta directly and they only offer the complete shop/dealer manual set for +500.00.

My concern is that I an receiving mixed information about how to remove and reinstall the drive. Some say alignment is required, some say make sure you have it in forward gear, others say you have to have it in reverse?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The water is getting warm and my boat lift was finished last week.

Thanks
hg

I'll see if I can find anything out. I know a mechanic in town here that works on Volvo's. He works at the Four Winns dealer and they are all Volvo sterndrives. I'll try and ask him and see what he says. I'll get back to you soon if I find anything out.

Thanks Tars,

Actually it was much easier than I thought but it took a lot of calling around before someone would give me the info.

Here is a quick overview. If anyone needs specifics (although there is not much more), feel free to e-mail me.

1. Remove the prop. (Just for safety)

2. Lower the unit so pressure is relieved from the trim/tilt rams.

3. Remove one of the c-clips holding the trim/tilt rams and slide pin out releasing the rams from the lower unit.

4. Remove the six locking nuts from the top of the lower unit.

5. Gently pull the unit back and supporting the drive shaft so it does not fall and damage the unit or shaft itself.

6. Lube the u-joint fittings, shaft splines and gimble bearing.

7. Replace the two o-ring seals on the drive shaft and the seal on the lower unit mounting

8. Slide it back in and bolt it up.

Piece of cake.

Best regards.
hg

Back