What can I expect? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What can I expect?

Most sites are saying 4050. pounds. Gross weight is with a person in every seat. 5000 plus.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If they do only weigh 4050 then an average of 4250 with driver at 210 hp calculates to 15.8. If they are running 17 and 18 then its the set up thats wrong. Stall, shift points,wind resistance etc. 260 hp at 4250 gives you a 14.8 all things being perfect. I would think that they will run better 8th mile times because the aerodynamics havent quite killed it yet at that point.

Last I remember the placard on the door said 5000lbs...also 5000lbs was the test weight for smog. Gonna move to a state without smog soon. So would a typhoon intake and 93 cobra cam be a good combo with head/valve work to the 40ps....and of course make the ECU more aggressive? How would I go about that....what steps would I need to do in order to make this work. Why not have a gnarly mountaineer and surprise other 14 sec cars/trucks that this SUV can scoot...I'd like to increase MPG and get some more hp/torque without having to do major surgery. Can it be done? My gut says yes....as far as my differential...could I swap it with fox body mustang for posi-trac? What are my options?

So with a stroker are there limitations for head options because of the space in the engine bay and having the only option for mth? A 347 would be great...or a 331...would carb'd be the way to go?

as far as my differential...could I swap it with fox body mustang for posi-trac? What are my options?

i will answer one question.......no

bottom line, what are you willing (realistically, and not this money is no object, because this is becoming apparent) to spend.

i will answer one question.......no

bottom line, what are you willing (realistically, and not this money is no object, because this is becoming apparent) to spend.

Tim's right, but I say try it. You will get more power.

A cam, opened up exhaust, cai, higher ratio rockers, and a ecu tune just are not going to get you in the 14's. Please do these mods and hit the track, as we would all love to see your improvement in track time with these mods.

The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer[1] including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers.[2] The term is used for motor vehicles and trains.

Mine says 5300 GVWR. It does not weigh any where near that. I would say around 4000 no driver . The mustang center section is 28 spline. Truck is 31 spline. You should already be LSD. I would put a holley intake on it with a trickflow stage 1 cam . I dont know what size the Throttle bodys are on these but you will need at least a 70mm. I would port the exaust side of the heads just past the AIR bump and gasket match to a 1415 felpro. I would also gasket match intake side with a 1250 felpro. It will need a decent stall because of the extra weight and the fact that the peak HP will be moved up in the RPM band. The stall will keep it at peak torque throughout the run. It will gain you 3-4 tenths in the 8th ven with no other mods. Ive done it with mustangs and lightnings so I know it works. If you go with the typhoon I would port the whole lower ,paying attention to #5 Runner. An electric fan and some weight reduction wouldnt hurt either. If you do this stuff, do some baselines and record improvements at the track with each mod to help others that may want to do the same thing. I believe that you can achieve your goal if you get everything working together. The heads, cam , intake and stall all have to be in sync. Meaning if you were to put a lumpy cam in it with no other mods , it with be slower in the 8th.

Pickup Man, Unless your truck is 2wd, it weighs about 4400-4500 lbs without a driver. I've had mine on the scale plenty of times.

I'm also not sure what formula you were using earlier, or where you got it, but it's wrong. There is no direct weight/horsepower = speed calculation you can do, though, you can kind of estimate. To even touch 14s with a 4500 lb truck, you need to be north of 300 hp. 260 is going to get you into the upper 15s, maybe. AWD or 4WD trucks are going to take even more. A bone stock 93 cobra put 230ish to the rear wheels, weighs 1500 lbs less than an Explorer does, and it was in the mid 14s.

OP, VZB, Dono and Turdle have already given you some good advice/resources to start looking at. You should really start reading up so you can start asking more specific questions or have a better understanding of what you want to or can do. Also... I'm not sure what your obsession with Posi is all about... but it really has no advantages for your application over a limited slip rear end, unless you like going sideways when you leave stoplights in the rain. You don't need ATB or Posi or anything like that, and none of that stuff is going to make you faster.

But, like VZB asked... Realistically speaking, what is your budget? What kind of access to tools/equipment/workspace do you have? What kind of downtime can you afford for your explorer project? What kind of experience do you have working on cars?

If you where going to go and make it a strait up drag truck, you could probably do some serious weight reduction, and spend a little money in the engine, and get 14's, but if you want a Daily Driver, you will need A LOT of money, and probably a LSX Block, with a Procharger, or turbo setup, and NOS. I'm currently do the same, but on a First Gen Sport, it is much harder then you would think, weight, aerodynamics, along with stability at speed are all factors that need to be addressed BEFORE you go fast. But hey, go for it! You can always make it fast, you just got to have the cash, this is why I have NO Number in my head on how fast mine will be, that way I am excited when I run something. Hopefully I can make a run with it stock, and weigh it stock, Before I actully start tearing it apart.

Yeh all my trucks are 2wd. Im in Florida so no need for the extra weight and moving parts. I went to several reputable sites with Horsepower and weight 1/4 mile calculators and they all were within 2 tenths. Ive used them in the past and they have always been very close. I agree a 4wd that weighs 4500 would need close to 300 to get in the 14's. Im with you on the 93 cobra times as well. The only stipulation is that you cant give a mustang every it has during launch without drag radials or sliping clutch hard. These things will just hook and go. I do beleive that it would be more benificial to just run the 8th mile and try to make it quick as apposed to trying to make it fast in the 1/4 . Once you hit 60 in these things the engine is working hard to push it through.Most all stoplight races are less than 1/8 mile. Money is everything in any motorsport. Theres a Grand Cherokee on You Tube with 650 RWHP with no tubs that pulls the wheels for what looks like more than 60 ft. Crazy.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/racing-calculators/

So... you think an Explorer is going to pull better with the same engine and 1500 lbs extra to carry around than a mustang cobra, assuming you were making the same power?

The amounts of horsepower I gave you were based on estimates for 2wd Explorers. That site you gave me for a horsepower calculator gave me a 15.757 for a 4250 lb explorer in a quarter at stock power levels... yet, stock an explorer takes about 17 seconds. Either your calculator is wrong, or MAYBE it is estimating based on BHP, and then it is slightly closer. Either way, it is still off from the real world.

Like I said, just follow what Turdle and VZB posted. VZB's truck weighs a bit less than yours even, so it should give you an idea of what you get in the real world. (2 door explorers are around 3800-4000 lbs)

Those calculators tell you what it should run with set up correct. Set up being gear ratios, stall , shift points , traction , aerodynamics. If you make a run in a drag car that is set up right and compare your run with a calculated run , you will see that it is pretty close. I beleive that the reason they run 17's is because of low and soft shift points , aero and a host of other things. I dont know where you got that I was an idiot and said a vehicle weighing 1500 pounds more with same power would be faster. If you left the mustang alone and kept making small mods to the truck you could narrow the gap. You could put slicks on the mustang and run low low 13's. The truck would never get close to that without serious money in it. Im not on here for a pissing match. If i wanted that I would go to a tuner site. I would just like to see this guy go with his plans and see the results.

either way, we still need to know what he is looking to spend. here is some examples of prices. not exact, but ballparked

headers 700-800
cam 200-300
intake 300
gears 250ish not including what the cost will be to instal them, and that is something you shouldnt mess with if you have no clue what your doing
tuner 400
CIA 150-200
throttle body 300
roller rockers 300
also depending on how much you mod your motor, you may need to upgrade the fuel pump 150
cat back 300-400
weight reduction, now i have always looked down at people for this. you have some people that will gut a interior, and run it down the track. if you drive it around the street, bring it the way you drive it, cause lets face it, nobody (or very few) drive around with just a dash, and drivers seat.
how fast you want to got, depends on what your bank is welling to give you. for some people (me included) it may take years to get to where you want to be. so you will really have to look at everything and see what you can afford, and go from there. also, some things (throttle body comes to mind first) will not directly bolt on, and need to be modified if you are trying to take mustang parts and put them on a explorer. BTw, you will not get headers from a mustang and make them fit. the only thing you can get is torque monster headers made and sold from a place called al's headers in Anaheim, ca

Regardless. Jus don't keep you hopes too high, And go for it! Would be a fun thing to do. That's why I'm Doing it! Also I am totatally ripping everything out of my truck to save weight. Good luck man. Just remember we are not telling you t is a bad idea, or to shoot your hopes down. We are here to remind you that it will pay a lot if time and money to get what you are going for.

The Camaro had 2/10th on the SRT 8, and the SRT 8 left early... (yes, I know the time is calculated from when they leave)

Still, a very fast Jeep.

The Camaro had 2/10th on the SRT 8, and the SRT 8 left early... (yes, I know the time is calculated from when they leave)

Still, a very fast Jeep.

My Buddy has a T/A and he is scared to race one, and let me say is car is far from stock... I'll still race one, just to say that I did, but I will for sure lose... lol

What would it take to go carb'd...and what will that mean for the EGR on TMH...and what does that mean for the AOD...it has an ecu right?

Do you want to learn anything, or do you just want to ask the same questions over and over again? There is no reason to switch to carbed. The rest of the world stopped using carbs for a reason.

But, like VZB asked... Realistically speaking, what is your budget? What kind of access to tools/equipment/workspace do you have? What kind of downtime can you afford for your explorer project? What kind of experience do you have working on cars?

There are lots of REALLY good build threads on here that answer all the questions you don't know you want to ask yet. We are asking you questions to help direct you to what you REALLY want to know.

I only question to be sure....nothing is ever 100%...I'd rather ask a hundred times until I understand without any doubts. I think I understand more or less what I need to be shopping around for...just seems like the explorer 5.0 aftermarket is kind of dim and you gotta search a little more. I don't know why more people havent been curious on modding these potential SUV's. If I can keep up with a typhoon....sounds cool to me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most guys do 4 wheeling with their modded exploders.
I don't think many build them to drag them.
The 302 stock is good enough for that ..for sure if you put the manual transfer case in in it to get low range.
Maybe that would give you a mid 14's..lol.

Back