• Register Today It's free!

Wire a resistor to headlight

Run Amok

Reaction score
City, State
NY/Canada border
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer XLT
Just installed a new set of H13 LED headlights in a 2009 Explorer XLT. They work as they should but when I start the vehicle the dash warning comes on for possible outage.
I know it's because the LEDs don't draw as much, making the BCM, LCM or whatever module controls the lights think that a light is out.
I have a couple of resistors laying around. Which wire supplying the headlight plug would I tap to install the resistor? Pictured are a pair of resistors that I was given with a set of LED bulbs for a Super Duty that I never had to use.
IMG_3401.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have used LED bulbs with resistors and without and they all have periodically set off the warning. I just hit the reset button on the dash to clear it when this happens.

I have used LED bulbs with resistors and without and they all have periodically set off the warning. I just hit the reset button on the dash to clear it when this happens.

I've only started the vehicle once to move it out of the garage since installing the bulbs. I did clear it with the cluster button as you did.
Maybe I'll just ride it out a couple of days and see if this is going to be an every time occurrence or not. It was never an issue in the 2017+ Super Duty trucks that I've owned.
Thanks!

I've only started the vehicle once to move it out of the garage since installing the bulbs. I did clear it with the cluster button as you did.
Maybe I'll just ride it out a couple of days and see if this is going to be an every time occurrence or not. It was never an issue in the 2017+ Super Duty trucks that I've owned.
Thanks!
I don't have this issue on my 2007 Mustang or 2015 Edge. I would say that mine does this about one time out of five starts or maybe less frequently. Most times it only trips for one headlight but not the other. It never does it when the lights turn on while the engine is running. I think this is an issue with the 4th gens specifically and isn't always, or maybe ever, fully fixed by installing a resistor.

I don't have this issue on my 2007 Mustang or 2015 Edge. I would say that mine does this about one time out of five starts or maybe less frequently. Most times it only trips for one headlight but not the other. It never does it when the lights turn on while the engine is running. I think this is an issue with the 4th gens specifically and isn't always, or maybe ever, fully fixed by installing a resistor.

Funny, I also have a 2007 Mustang GT and that has no issues with LED headlights either. I've used LED headlights in 2017, 19, 20 and 2022 Super Duties with no problems whatsover.
I did turn the headlights on with the key off to make sure they were working properly before I bolted the headlight assemblies back into position. Next time I go out I'll start the Explorer first and then turn on the lights to see what happens. It does have DRL. Not sure if that will cause the warning or not.

I don't think it's going to be a problem. This one doesn't have auto headlights. If I turn the headlights on once the motor has been started, no warning appears in the cluster.

the h13 plug has 3 wires, the middle wire is the ground. you'll need to wire a resistor in series between each outside wire and the ground wire. need a resistor for low and high beams

or you can buy an inline pre-wired h13 resistor like this one

Headlight Load Resistor Kit - H13 LED Headlight Bulbs - H13-RL650-H

i tried quite a few resistor types/ohm ratings and found that one works all the time. i have a bi-led projector retrofit but same end goal...

I think I'm going to be OK without resistors now. But if I ever needed them, the ones you linked from SuperBright would be the way I'd take. Not a fan of cutting into factory wiring if I don't have to.
I've purchased from SuperBright before with no problems.

I don't think it's going to be a problem. This one doesn't have auto headlights. If I turn the headlights on once the motor has been started, no warning appears in the cluster.
One thing I will mention regarding the H13 bulbs is that they have to be installed to match the OEM bulbs filament orientation. The filaments are staggered and the LEDs are the located the same way. Install the OEM bulbs and note the orientation of the two filaments and make sure the LEDs are in the exact same position. This is important to make the beam pattern for low and high match the OEM bulb. The bulbs I use are adjustable regarding their rotation and could be installed incorrectly.

I installed the resistors that were included with the LED headlights I bought for my 06 F150 (They looked a lot like the ones you pictured). Haven't had any issues since putting them in. Prior to the resistors my fog lights were acting weird.

I installed the resistors that were included with the LED headlights I bought for my 06 F150 (They looked a lot like the ones you pictured). Haven't had any issues since putting them in. Prior to the resistors my fog lights were acting weird.
I tried to install LEDs for the front turn signals and they flat out wouldn't work at all. I think the 4th gens have some weird programming related sensitivity to bulbs and current draw. This said, using LEDs for the backup lights went without any issues.

Yea, its all dependent on years. I've got every outside light on my 2000 Explorer converted to LED. Simple as a new electronic flasher for the turn signals, no mods for the headlights. The 06 F150 headlights required the previously mentioned resistor, and I haven't tried the turn signals yet. I'm assuming a simple electronic flasher will work for those as well.

One thing I will mention regarding the H13 bulbs is that they have to be installed to match the OEM bulbs filament orientation. The filaments are staggered and the LEDs are the located the same way. Install the OEM bulbs and note the orientation of the two filaments and make sure the LEDs are in the exact same position. This is important to make the beam pattern for low and high match the OEM bulb. The bulbs I use are adjustable regarding their rotation and could be installed incorrectly.
I’m aware of that, I’ve installed LED headlights many times. The first set that I installed several years ago had a set screw to loosen and twist the bulb to the correct 3 and 9 o’clock orientation. Not much fun. Other brands allowed the bulb to be twisted to the proper spot after the bulb was locked in.
The bulbs installed in this Explorer today were a breeze. They were oriented correctly upon twisting them into the socket with no adjustments. One LED chip is slightly forward of the other. This was also located in the proper position given in the directions with no messing around.

The Super Duty I have is the 4th one of this generation that I've owned. I've put LED headlight bulbs in all of them and never had to use resistors.
Changing turn signals was a different story. They flashed at normal speed when viewed from the exterior but the cluster had hyper flash. I fixed that with a FORScan adjustment.

Yea, its all dependent on years. I've got every outside light on my 2000 Explorer converted to LED. Simple as a new electronic flasher for the turn signals, no mods for the headlights. The 06 F150 headlights required the previously mentioned resistor, and I haven't tried the turn signals yet. I'm assuming a simple electronic flasher will work for those as well.
I've never done it back as far as the 2006 model year. But I've had every exterior bulb switched to LED in 4 different Super Duties of the current generation. I was able to get into the BCM with FORScan and make adjustments to cancel the hyper flash in the cluster when the turn signals were activated.

Just installed a new set of H13 LED headlights in a 2009 Explorer XLT. They work as they should but when I start the vehicle the dash warning comes on for possible outage.
I know it's because the LEDs don't draw as much, making the BCM, LCM or whatever module controls the lights think that a light is out.
I have a couple of resistors laying around. Which wire supplying the headlight plug would I tap to install the resistor? Pictured are a pair of resistors that I was given with a set of LED bulbs for a Super Duty that I never had to use.
View attachment 448898
One side ground and one side positive. Or between the positive and negative of the harness. I usally go with chasis ground, that way I can place the load resistor there also. They get hot sometimes.

Guys,

Keep in mind, if you drive in snow, the headlights will cake up with snow and not melt. I have a buddy who put LEDs in his Jeep and he lives in Colorado mountains...he tried another set that has a heated lens which worked better. I am betting no one makes an explorer replacement with the heated lens?
Just something to consider...

Joe

Guys,

Keep in mind, if you drive in snow, the headlights will cake up with snow and not melt. I have a buddy who put LEDs in his Jeep and he lives in Colorado mountains...he tried another set that has a heated lens which worked better. I am betting no one makes an explorer replacement with the heated lens?
Just something to consider...

Joe

This is true. I've put LED headlights into several Super Duties and seen the snow buildup. But we're talking about bulb only replacement for the most part in this thread, not entire assembly replacement.
For what little I get caught in or have to drive in snow storms anymore it's a fair trade off for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Speaking of LED's not heating up enough, the city, a few years ago, went through and replaced all the stop lights with LEDs to save time and money of replacement costs. Now, when we get heavy blowing snow, the lens fill up with snow and you can't see the lights as well, if at all. So now they'll have to hire someone to go around and brush the snow off the stop lights.

Solving one problem, creating a new one.

Back