• Register Today It's free!

Yokohama Geolanders

tipdrill

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4dr 2wd
So i drive my explorer for 20k miles and not a problem with the tires. Off-road, on-road, roads i probably shouldn't be on... well my mom drives it for a day while i'm out of town and gets a nail one of my tires. :mad:

I don't want to drive with a patched tire and the Goodyear Wranglers i don't like. Has anybody used Yokohama Geolanders? or any other suggestions?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll put in the first vote for Michelin LTX M/S. Pricey, but well worth it.

Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo. Awesome tires, I love them. A tad on the pricey side but they are well worth it. :thumbsup:

pepboys definity dakota m/t

these tires are the best ones i have ever had i got 265/75/16 or 32's and they have great road holding and excelen off road traction and that size was 115 dollars each:D and it was buy 3 get one free head into your local pepboys and check them out:D

I highly recommend BF Goodrich All Terrain KO's. I had a set on my last SUV and ran them for 36,000 miles before I totalled the truck and they still had atleast 25,000 left on them. I went off road with them many times and they never gave me any problems. They are pretty aggressive looking for an AT tire too yet they did not make much road noise at all and handled well at any speed. They also handled the snow like a champ too but I doubt you will have to worry about that much in Texas. I have the Goodyear Wranglers on my X now and they seem to be ok but they simply do not compare off-road to the BFG's in my opinion. I'll be getting another set of BFG's once I wear out my Goodyears.

unless you enjoy replacing tires often, stay away from the yokohoma geolanders. they are rather soft and wear quickly. i run goodyear a/t's and haven't had a problem offroad or on the highway.

Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo. Awesome tires, I love them. A tad on the pricey side but they are well worth it. :thumbsup:

+1

I've had several sets and loved them. Only switched to Nittos because I wanted something more aggressive looking when I got 33s. I like the performance of the Revos better though.

Don't know much about the Geolanders, since I never see them on anything.

I don't know which Geolanders your looking at, but the Geolander MTs, which are very soft, aggressive and pliable(sp?) don't last long. We were getting just under 30k miles out of a set (rear locker didn't help)..

They worked great, but the sidewall wasn't strong enough for me (ripped a couple) and they didn't last long enough to run as DD tires either.

~Mark

Though I don't offroad at all, I love my set of Goodyear Fotura Triple Treads. They are awesome, great in the snow, rain, and dry pavement, though the women did manage to put the X into the ditch this winter right after I got them....:rolleyes:

There is really nothing wrong driving on a plugged tire.

I drive under some of the worst conditions on road and off for tires with multiple plugs in them.

i have had no problems.

I have Yokohoma Geolanders on my 02 Explorer. So far, I have close to 50K miles on them and they still have good thread. Maybe I am lucky with Geolanders but I have been very happy with them in rain, snow, and dry conditions.

Thanks for the replies.
There are way too many tires out there! :confused:
I wouldnt even mess with it, but the alignment on one front tire is out of whack and i dont want a new goodyear. (see below)

I feel like going to discount tire, close my eyes, spinning around in a circle and see which tire is in front of my face when i stop.

I was looking on tirerack at the Geolandar H/T-S G051.
It said they had superior tread wear and dry performance.
We have Michelin LTX M/S on the silverado and they seem to be doing well. Nice and smooth and good tread wear.

All i know is I don't want the goodyears back. I get sideways in the rain all the time. Limited Slip in the back doesnt help in that department tho.

Thanks again for the replies, I have a lot of research to do.

I personally use Nokian Tyres Vativas, don't htink you guys g et them down there yet.

Nice tread pattern, and smoother & quieter ride then KO's.

I like the 100km warranty, and runflat policy. If I get a flat and still forced to drive on them, they will still cover the replacement.

Destination A/T's

I just put a set of Firestone Destination A/t's on my '01 Limited and couldn't be more happy. I have yet to drive in any adverse weather, but based on all the reviews on tirerack, these tires seem to be the best A/T tires for the money. For what it's worth, they look damn good too!

I also had Geolanders on my 2004 F-150 and had about 70,000 on them when I replaced them- great tires. Good tread, and I did a lot of jobsite driving in mud and sand, plus a lot of highway. I like them as much as the Cooper AT's I have now.

I have Geolander AT's and love them. Great performance in the mud and I can't break them loose in the rain.

I have Firestone destination AT's on my heep and do not like them. They are wearing fast (almost worn out at 30K) and I can get sideways in the rain.

First, if it's the patch you're worried about, don't sweat it. I had 9 patches in one tire (Michelin LTX M/S's). That tire, like the other three, went 99,964 miles before being replaced. (It would have lasted another 5k easy, but winter was rapidly approaching) A properly installed patch will last just fine.

If it's just an excuse to get new tires, the Geos are known for not having the greatest lifespan. Supposedly they perform pretty well, but they don't last.

Add a vote for the Michelin LTX M/S's from me. With that kind of mileage, they were worth every penny (they were free as they were Firestone replacements). The only conditions they did not excel in were deep, sticky, gummy mud. In nearly everything else, they excelled. Great all-weather, all conditions tire (again, with the exception of mud). I commuted on them for 7 years 5 days a week. Aside from the one that must have used magnetic steel belts, they never leaked a bit.

I am currently running Michelin LTX AT2's. So far, with almost 15,000 miles on them, they are wearing nicely, just marginally louder than the M/S's were, and performed much better in the snow and mud than the LTX's ever did.

You couldn't pay me to put a set of Goodyear Wrangler RTS's on my vehicle. I have Wrangler ATS's on my F-150, and they've been quite good. They're almost 10 years old with 65,000 miles on them, and although they are beginning to dry-rot, they still have about 1/3 of their tread left on them.

-Joe

Another thing to consider..

How many miles do you drive a year.. I know a few people that drive < 10k miles a year. Out here in Southern AZ, at 5 years you should replace your tires anyway as the sun really does a number on them. I don't know how long people use tires in your neck of the woods.

Most places won't touch tires over I think 8 years so if your a low mileage driver then don't worry as much on how many miles the tire will last. If your anything like me (35k miles a year), buying new tires every year is never fun.

I'd much rather get good handling tires that would last me 2-3 years over a set that will last me 80k miles, but not handle as well.

~Mark

I run the Dueler Revo A/T's, and I'm very happy with them. Excellent handling in all conditions, not much road noise, and good treadwear. My sister had some Geolanders on her RAV4 and they were bald at 60k. Like most others here, I've heard they are good handling tires, just they dont last very long. I would recommend the Revo's, but it all depends on what you use your truck for. If you're strictly highway, then you won't need an A/T, and then I'd prolly go with some Michelins.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well i went down to Discount Tire today, prepared for the Yoko's. My stepdad talked me into getting the Michelin LTX M/S, which were the same tire he had on his truck (his are bigger though) and my gosh! I will never own another Goodyear Wrangler. These are smoother, (granted they are new), quieter, and have more tread. I am very impressed. I used to be able to make my Wranglers chirp around corners (limited slip) but these refuse to let loose of the road. I am impressed.

Back