02 Ranger 4.0L SOHC tranny, leaf spring shackles, etc. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Ranger 4.0L SOHC tranny, leaf spring shackles, etc.

NewOrgnlDave

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ranger 4.0L SOHC 4WD
Hello friends!

I know this is for 'stock 1995-2001 explorers' but as there was no forum for 2002 rangers, I figured this is the right place to go, especially as the '02 ranger 4.0L SOHC has the same (5R55E) transmission as 95-'01 explorers.

My mom has an '02 Ranger 4.0L SOHC 4WD extended cab at 160k. Surprisingly she never replaced the PCV valve, only got partial transmission flushes, and sometimes let the oil go too long (I never let it get over 4k with regular, I would scold her into taking it in.)

We are both disabled and we love this truck so much. We are trying to decide whether or not to go forward with some repairs or invest in a new truck. I am NOT looking for anyone to make that decision, I am just going to be asking for some opinions and experience.

It has never towed except for once when it was 'young;' we used to take it off-road mildly every now and then for nature photography before the rear shackles broke (see below). It was very common to stop the engine and have a few seconds-minutes in order to have quiet, and then start it.

It has been sunk in mud diagonally from the right weel up the to the bottom of the right passenger door. No problems were observed with it.

Firstly: the body has some rust, but nothing serious. The frame is clear from it except for one thing:

1) 3 of the 4 rear leaf spring shackles are broken due to corrosion; we are looking into having 'a friend' try to replace them, because, as I read here, there is a problem with the bolts that makes it sometimes necessary to replace the leaf springs too, which are expensive. In your experience, would spraying with PO for like a week before taking it to the shop make any difference in whether or not the bolts will come out? Or is it just up to chance?

2) The engine SEEMS to be in good condition. Had a cracked vacuum hose at one point, but with the help of this forum I tracked it down. I was wondering if there is anything specific we should have inspected other than the rear timing chain tensioner (I believe I read here that inspecting that is a good investment). And how much might that cost?

3) The transmission has a 2-3 flare, sort of, for about 10 months now. This is a little different than usual. In the winter (I live in New England) the 'clunk' and 'flare' are MUCH worse than in the summer. I have read that it is usually the relatively easy-to-fix EPC solenoid/valve seperator plate, but also that it is usually worse when the transmission is warm, not when it's cold! We did a complete transmission flush including dropping the pan and it has been a little better since, but my feeling is that it's still a valve issue. In your experience, (a) how much does it cost to get a shop to do the work, (b) why are Ford dealerships such jerks when you ask them about this kind of thing (it needs a code!), and (c) does that cold-warm symptom mean anything? Also, it got stuck in what I *think* was limp-mode about 15k miles ago; it had terrible awful clunks - the kind that make you hit the steering wheel - between every gear and the O/D was flashing. Turning it off and on fixed it and the problem hasn't returned since.

4) Are there any common problems that I need to inspect for before we consider dropping the required money to fix the above issues?

5) What is the most common mode of engine failure? With proper transmission and frame maintenance, at 160k miles, I am most worried about the engine; we'd like it to last another 30k or more. I would imagine it would be the timing chain, is ins[ecting the rear tensioner enough? Can I possibly expect that longevity from the truck?

Thank you for your time in looking at and answering my questions. We're looking at spending $600 on tires in another 2 months too, so it's really decision time. I can't thank you all enough for the help and answers you've provided over the past few years.

Back