11 month old rebuilt starter died: Considering just going brand new this time, worth it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

11 month old rebuilt starter died: Considering just going brand new this time, worth it?

Post number 33 has been selected as best answered.

98FordLove

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer XLT 4.0L OHV
I put in a rebuilt starter last September from a local mom & pop shop that died 2 days ago and left me stranded again and had to tow the Explorer to my mechanic. I still have a month left on the starter warranty, the owner says bring it in and I will give you another one. I was going to do this but then I said why bother? So it can die again in a year or less and then I get stranded again and have to tow? I trust this shops rebuilt alternators (as I have both rebuilts of his in both my Ford and my Honda with zero issues and have used rebuilts from him in previous cars with no issues either) But his starters, I'm not sure if I trust them after this one just died after 11 months.

Anyways, there is another mom & pop place near me that rebuilds starters too who has a very good reputation and I was thinking about going to him. He charges just a bit more than the place I went to last September. His comes with 1 year warranty too.

But again should I even bother? I called up one of my local parts places and they have a brand new AC Delco gold starter for $340CAD. Comes with a 1 year warranty but from what I hear AC Delco is a very reliable brand and their gold line is their top of the line products. Tried asking for a Bosche starter but only one parts place has a new Bosche for $250 and would take 3 days to come in. Yes the AC Delco is considerably more than any rebuilt but I don't want to have to do this job ever again. It's just too costly.

So would you say I just eat the cost and pick up the brand new AC Delco gold today? Or is it a waste of money and go with another rebuilt but from another mom & pop shop and give it a second chance?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since there is a remaining warranty, I'd have the shop replace the broken one and buy a new one to put on. You might be able to sell the reman one to help offset the cost of the new starter. I've never had good luck with reman starters or alternators.

Since there is a remaining warranty, I'd have the shop replace the broken one and buy a new one to put on. You might be able to sell the reman one to help offset the cost of the new starter. I've never had good luck with reman starters or alternators.

That's what I was thinking too, though it's tough and a major pain in the butt to resale car parts. Or I can ask the shop for an in-store credit. So you think just pay the $340CAD for the brand new AC Delco Gold?

Yes, I believe you will have better luck with the new.
Thanks, just wanted to be sure I wasn't overpaying for this starter new. I know I can get it much cheaper online but in case I have to warranty it, always best local in person vs shipping a 10lb part.

I refuse to buy or install (if I can help)
Reman starters and alternators they will leave you stranded

I buy Bosch only when available

I refuse to buy or install (if I can help)
Reman starters and alternators they will leave you stranded

I buy Bosch only when available

Fair enough. rebuilt alternators from a good shop can be just as good and last a long time. I had a rebuilt alternator In a previous car that went 4years strong and still worked with no issues when I sold the car.

I put in a rebuilt starter last September from a local mom & pop shop that died 2 days ago and left me stranded again and had to tow the Explorer to my mechanic. I still have a month left on the starter warranty, the owner says bring it in and I will give you another one. I was going to do this but then I said why bother? So it can die again in a year or less and then I get stranded again and have to tow? I trust this shops rebuilt alternators (as I have both rebuilts of his in both my Ford and my Honda with zero issues and have used rebuilts from him in previous cars with no issues either) But his starters, I'm not sure if I trust them after this one just died after 11 months.

Anyways, there is another mom & pop place near me that rebuilds starters too who has a very good reputation and I was thinking about going to him. He charges just a bit more than the place I went to last September. His comes with 1 year warranty too.

But again should I even bother? I called up one of my local parts places and they have a brand new AC Delco gold starter for $340CAD. Comes with a 1 year warranty but from what I hear AC Delco is a very reliable brand and their gold line is their top of the line products. Tried asking for a Bosche starter but only one parts place has a new Bosche for $250 and would take 3 days to come in. Yes the AC Delco is considerably more than any rebuilt but I don't want to have to do this job ever again. It's just too costly.

So would you say I just eat the cost and pick up the brand new AC Delco gold today? Or is it a waste of money and go with another rebuilt but from another mom & pop shop and give it a second chance?
I experience the same starter experience with a AutoZone starter. The only thing with AutoZone is they give you credit for the 1st starter. You paid additional cost (different between rebuilt and new).
I will never buy a rebuilt anything, anymore unless there are no choices.

oftentimes rebuilds arent as good as news. that said, @donalds knows a company i believe with rebuild kits and have done it to the alt w good luck

Just sayin -

Screen name is for a '98 - BUT - Signature for screen name shows a '96...

Here's Rock Auto listings for a '96 & '98 OHV Starter Motors - New & Rebuilt.

1st grouping in BLUE is for NEW

2nd grouping in Orange if for USED

Honestly, I don't know if BOSCH even makes NEW starters and alternators any more.

If you find one on a dealer shelf it would probably be New Old Stock, with more than likely a premium attached since the seller would know "what he's got" ...

That said - I've had good luck with new TYC Products from Rock Auto = TYC 103239 = $69

I have no idea how much shipping is to Canada - click the blue link BELOW for your options.

HTH -

1996 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 Starter Motor | RockAuto

1998 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 OHV Starter Motor | RockAuto

Just sayin -

Honestly, I don't know if BOSCH even makes NEW starters and alternators any more.

If you find one on a dealer shelf it would probably be New Old Stock, with more than likely a premium attached since the seller would know "what he's got" ...

That said - I've had good luck with new TYC Products from Rock Auto = TYC 103239 = $69

I have no idea how much shipping is to Canada - click the blue link BELOW for your options.

HTH -

I purchased the AutoZone Gold line. Lifetime warranty. ( starter and alternators)

Just sayin -

HTH -

Looks like $156CAD shipped to my house for the exact same ACDelco Gold starter that I picked up today locally for $356CAD with tax. The only reason why I bought locally was for warranty. If I ever need to exchange it, doing it locally is always best. I would not want to be shipping back a 10lb package to the U.S. then deal with customs and all that.

The price difference is so big that I am tempted to have my mech install the one I picked up today tomorrow, then order one from Rock Auto and return that to the local parts store as brand new.

Get it from RA

I have an AC Delco in my SOHC. It’s got north of 135,000mi on the starter, still cranking strong.

At 125k, I bought another AC Delco and keep it in the back of my truck, with the tools to change it. And I’m still ahead of what a local parts house would charge for ONE.

Get it from RA

I have an AC Delco in my SOHC. It’s got north of 135,000mi on the starter, still cranking strong.

At 125k, I bought another AC Delco and keep it in the back of my truck, with the tools to change it. And I’m still ahead of what a local parts house would charge for ONE.
Ok thanks. So I pretty much give up the warranty on it from buying from RA. Did you get the ac delco gold version?

What I’ll do is I’ll have my mechanic install the one I got from the store today. Then when the one from RA arrives, I’ll put it in the same box that came from the store. The store shouldn’t be able to tell apart. I’m doing this so I can have the truck back tomorrow as opposed to near the end of the week, I need it.

Get it from RA

I double checked the part numbers, the one in this link is the same part as the one I picked up today.

Im assuming this is for both the OHV and SOHC engines? Don’t the OHV use a slightly different starter than the SOHC motors?

Really wish I had known about the AC delco on RA a year ago, I wouldn’t have bothered with a rebuilt piece of junk.

Honestly, RA warranties are pretty easy. Fill out an online form. They’ll usually send you the replacement immediately, and give you a shipping label for the return. Throw the broken part in the new part box, slap the label on it, drop it off at your local shipper.

I have to check. I think my ACD starter in the back of the truck says PROFESSIONAL on the box.

Yes a reman you do yourself or at a ma and pa shop in town is completely acceptable. For me there is no such thing as a starter/alternator rebuilder within 100 miles

Bosch indeed still makes alternators and starters and fuel pumps but since Covid inventory has been hit or miss. I watch rockauto and others and they do come available from time to time

Ac delco has been good

Tyc has let me down in fact a tyc alternator went south 3 days after the 1 year warranty and they would not help me out.

I install 10-20
Alternators and starters a year in addition to our personal vehicles of which there are 5

Honestly, RA warranties are pretty easy. Fill out an online form. They’ll usually send you the replacement immediately, and give you a shipping label for the return. Throw the broken part in the new part box, slap the label on it, drop it off at your local shipper.

I have to check. I think my ACD starter in the back of the truck says PROFESSIONAL on the box.

Good to know this, hopefully it's the same case for Canadian customers over the border. I got the new starter put in yesterday and I noticed right away that the truck starts noticably quicker than with the old starter. Don't hear the starter turn over for as long. Woohoo. Sometimes on the old starter it would crank for 3 seconds before actually starting the truck (pretty sure was not normal even for a rebuilt starter). Did you notice that your truck starts quicker after putting in the ACDelco gold?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didnt, because I installed it on a replacement motor after dropping it into the truck (engine swap). So that’s the only starter I’ve known on this particular SOHC motor.

They’re good starters though.

Back