'12 Explorer Limited vibration under acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'12 Explorer Limited vibration under acceleration

AKExplorer12

Reaction score
City, State
Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Hello All,
I apologize for the long post but want to give as much info as possible.

Ive searched the forums, reddit and facebook for this issue and cant seem to find a solid answer, but see many have had this problem. I am not a mechanic but do work on general maintenance for all of my cars. I am not inept, but not an expert.

Problem: '12 Explorer limited vibrates under acceleration only. The problem is the acceleration is not consistent. Its worse on some roads than others, It is also present when maintaining highway speed. Sometimes the vibration starts around 40 mph, sometimes it doesn't start until 60 mph. I also think the vibration is coming more so from the passenger side, but I am not certain. It does not seem to be coming from the rear of the vehicle.

Ive had the CEL come on twice but turn off after a cycle.

The passenger side front axel and cv were replaced Winter of 2016 after my slid sideways onto a curb in the snow. A Geico certified shop did the repairs. (I mention this because I personally have heard poor reviews about insurance repair shops)

My passenger side strut stabilizer bar broke this summer and I have replaced it and the front breaks. I would say I first noticed the vibration shortly after the stabilizer bar went out, and the vibration persisted after I fixed it.

Ive heard people say:
Tires- Id say possible, I have not replaced them yet. They were brand new when I bought the car in '16.

CV joint, U joint, - totally possible I have never had those go bad, but the passenger side axel etc. are new so I don't think that's it.

Plugs and coil.- possible but I don't sense loss of power really. and it idles fine, however last weekend, after I shifted from reverse to drive the car died. Its never done that before. Also after getting gas yesterday, it took a moment to start.

Any input is appreciated. I am getting ready to move next month which is costing me an arm and a leg, so I am hoping to get some help or doe at least the tire rotation and plugs on my own maybe this weekend, before taking it in and getting the run around from my mechanic. What concerns me is that in other posts ive seen Mechanics be unable to replicate the problem, or saying "that's just a ford thing" this cant be just a ford thing, as the vibration is pretty unbearable when it is at its worst, and annoying when its at its best.

Again I apologize for the long post, just wanted to give as much info as I could. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably going to be a bit difficult for anyone to diagnose over the internets.

Could be related to your accident repairs depending on how long it has been vibrating? Bad rim/tire, axle, other driveline related issue.

Could be your tires - are they brand or no-brand - any signs of damage/defect?

I can't imagine it would be related to coils/plugs, but anytime you get a CEL/MIL, it is always worth pulling codes to see what is going on.

Sounds like you may have more than one issue going on - best to sort it in a proper manner rather than just doing stuff willy nilly and throwing parts at it.

Welcome to the Forum AKExplorer12.:wave:

I agree with KayGee that you should try and find out what code you are getting to see if that may help to isolate the issue or possibly identify another one.

Peter

Thank you two for your responses.
I agree more than one thing is going on here. I failed to mention in my OP that when my strut stabilizer broke, that it knocked my axle a few times and I saw damage to the axle when I checked last night.
I have decided to buy a new axle tonight, its $100, so if that's not it, I don't feel too bad about it. I need to swap the plugs and coils anyway as the car just passed 100k miles.
I cant work on it until Saturday so I will keep you all posted on how it drives after i do that. Ill pull the codes this evening as well if i have time.
Ive checked my tires, (Hankook) they have some wear but not enough to cause a vibration. But i will be back to revisit the tires if the aforementioned doesn't fix it.

Update : I only had time to swap the cv axle today and that fixed it, front passenger side axle was bad which is odd considering it was supposed to have been replaced 2 years ago. Anyway glad it’s fixed. Going to swap plugs air filters and oil tomorrow, since I had planned on it anyway.

was it new or a refurbished axle? Only buy new axles in the future, used or repaired axles are hit and miss. mostly miss and will vibrate under acceleration because they didn't repair them properly.

I bought a brand new one from O’Rileys. My
Usual parts store didn’t have any in stock so I got it from there. Good call though, I usually stay away from refurbished parts too.

Probably going to be a bit difficult for anyone to diagnose over the internets.

Could be related to your accident repairs depending on how long it has been vibrating? Bad rim/tire, axle, other driveline related issue.

Could be your tires - are they brand or no-brand - any signs of damage/defect?

I can't imagine it would be related to coils/plugs, but anytime you get a CEL/MIL, it is always worth pulling codes to see what is going on.

Sounds like you may have more than one issue going on - best to sort it in a proper manner rather than just doing stuff willy nilly and throwing parts at it
In some sort of cases there is a better option of repair. Although it is very difficult to find a good expert.
I personally know about one of them is Axle Surgeons CA (tel:650.738.0945). They are experienced and qualified for this repair job.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back