1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4wd lights blinking/windows periodically work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4wd lights blinking/windows periodically work

chrishines33

Reaction score
City, State
Plain City, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi all. I see so many threads with different info regarding the same question. I acquired my father in laws 1999 ford explorer xlt. 80k miles and really nice condition. Wipers and windows periodically go out. 4wd lights blink 6 times every 2 minutes. And abs/brake light is always on. I ordered new relays on Amazon to start. I’m not sinking lots of $ into this as it is my work vehicle. But I’ve heard vacuum lines, transfer case motor. Relays. Etc. I’m certain someone has had this exact issue and resolved it. And I’d be very appreciative of whatever the actual fix is. I’ll spend some $ on it, but I’ll cut my losses if $500 won’t fix 4wd and abs. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi all. I see so many threads with different info regarding the same question. I acquired my father in laws 1999 ford explorer xlt. 80k miles and really nice condition. Wipers and windows periodically go out. 4wd lights blink 6 times every 2 minutes. And abs/brake light is always on. I ordered new relays on Amazon to start. I’m not sinking lots of $ into this as it is my work vehicle. But I’ve heard vacuum lines, transfer case motor. Relays. Etc. I’m certain someone has had this exact issue and resolved it. And I’d be very appreciative of whatever the actual fix is. I’ll spend some $ on it, but I’ll cut my losses if $500 won’t fix 4wd and abs. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
are there any stored codes?

are there any stored codes?
the 4wd light blinks 6 times. I have not hooked up to a scan tool yet. But ordered a couple sensors on Amazon for $20. Was looking at small things that I am capable of doing before taking it in to a shop. I am no mechanic by any means. I've seen a lot on Hall sensors, transfer case sensor, battery saver sensor, unhooking negative battery terminal for 10 min types of fixes........ So I am Just trying to follow the threads and self diagnose if at all possible.

the 4wd light blinks 6 times. I have not hooked up to a scan tool yet. But ordered a couple sensors on Amazon for $20. Was looking at small things that I am capable of doing before taking it in to a shop. I am no mechanic by any means. I've seen a lot on Hall sensors, transfer case sensor, battery saver sensor, unhooking negative battery terminal for 10 min types of fixes........ So I am Just trying to follow the threads and self diagnose if at all possible.
i would consider the scan tool the first before you fire the parts cannon. but for 20 bucks i guess had to argue. that said auto zone i think reads codes free.

Back