2001 Explore sport intermittently not starting. HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explore sport intermittently not starting. HELP

njkode

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
My gf's 2001 explore sport has been intermittently not starting for the last few weeks.
When the problem occurs there is not crack from the engine. The key is turned and nothing happens. No sound is heard from the starter at all. However I can here the starter relay clicking in the relay/fuse box.

A strange thing she noticed is that if the problem happens and she takes the key out, flips it 180 degrees and then tries again the car start with not problem.

I know the start circuit is a simple one. Here is the troubleshooting I have done so far.
1. replaced the starter
2. swapped the starting relay (49) with the HVAC relay (50)
3. Test the voltage at the starter on both the red and blue wires.

I know the keys are programmed, I was wondering if it is possible that it is something key related.

also if any one has the electrical schematic for this model it would be great
again its a 2001 Explorer Sport.

Thank you in advance

I had a problem with a bad battery cable that caused an intermittent no-start condition. The positive cable is known to be slightly too short and it will fatigue over time. Not sure about the key though.

I'll look into that again today after work. When I checked everything over the weekend all the connections seemed solid.

I was thinking it could be the PATS system only problem is my gf only has one key so I cant test with another one.

Back