2003 xlt 4.0l v6 advice on gasket kits/jobs to do | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 xlt 4.0l v6 advice on gasket kits/jobs to do

Warmowed

Reaction score
City, State
Garner, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003, Explorer XLT
Hey everyone!

I have finally been guilted into fixing my explorer's leaking valve covers. I am aware this is a bear of a job, so I want to do all of the possible maintenance that is reasonable while I'm at it. I just want to know if there are any good things to handle while I'm in there that I have overlooked.
Currently planned
  • Valve cover gaskets
  • Intake manifold gaskets
  • PCV valve
  • Lower oil pan gasket (unrelated but seeps oil very slowly)
If there are any other things I should take care of while I have the intake removed I'm open to suggestions.
Also I don't know if the best way is to buy the gaskets I will need separately or if anyone happens to know of a good kit for this.

Thanks in advance

Hey
I’ve got the same vehicle. Best advice I can say is be careful with the intake. As you know, it’s plastic and when you remove it be very careful. It’s not like they are fragile but remember it’s been in place for 17 years. If it comes off without issue, inspect it closely. Any cracks or damage should be possible need to replace. Look closely at everything once you get it apart. Use a magnifying lamp and really look. Don’t mess with the valve train or try to clean it. Take pics and post. Check all vacuum lines. Clean the IAC valve and inspect the MAF wire and clean with proper cleaner.
when you put it all back together, tighten slowly and concentrically.
above all take your time and post pics.

Hey
I’ve got the same vehicle. Best advice I can say is be careful with the intake. As you know, it’s plastic and when you remove it be very careful. It’s not like they are fragile but remember it’s been in place for 17 years. If it comes off without issue, inspect it closely. Any cracks or damage should be possible need to replace. Look closely at everything once you get it apart. Use a magnifying lamp and really look. Don’t mess with the valve train or try to clean it. Take pics and post. Check all vacuum lines. Clean the IAC valve and inspect the MAF wire and clean with proper cleaner.
when you put it all back together, tighten slowly and concentrically.
above all take your time and post pics.
Understood. I kinda hate the idea of this repair to be honest lol If I find damage on the intake that will be a real pita. I promise I won't attempt any cleaning on the valve train; it has gotten oil regularly so shouldn't be anything concerning in there anyways. Thinking about this now, this seems like a good time to check valve lash yeah? Should I be prepared with spare vacuum lines on standby in case they crumble to dust during removal?

Back