2008 Exploer V8 Engine Temperature | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Exploer V8 Engine Temperature

macason

Reaction score
City, State
Miami, Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Explorer XLT V8
I have a 2008 Ford Explorer XLT V8 which I purchased to tow a 4700 lb, 21 ft. travel trailer. I purchased a Digi Meter to monitor trans temp (pan and line), engine temp (at thermostat bolt), oil pressure, and voltage. The first thing I noticed was that the engine runs hot with the ac on. In city driving and 80 degrees I'm showing over 205 degrees on my monitor (reads in 15 deg leds) and 215 degrees minimum with a infered temperature gun. As I heard the new Ford dash temp guage is a glorified idiot light. Mine goes quickly to mid range and has never budged even when I hit 220 degrees. Whether I'm towing or not the ac adds approximately 15 degrees. The thermostat starts opening at 150 degrees and appears to be fully open at 190 degrees. I have been told that they run the engines hot to lower emissions. I just love it - the trans fluid is put first through the radiator cooler before it goes to the exterior tow package cooler. AT these high engine heats they are overheating my trans fluid before it gets to the factory towing cooler - crazy. Can anything be done to cool the engine down short of lemon law the vehicle. I like the vehicle but I worry that the high engine heat will limit the lifetime of the engine and transmission.

If anyone is interested I can post my review of the performance of the vehicle while towing my 4700 lb new travel trailer from Ohio to its home in Florida.

Back