2016 Ford Explorer XLT - Brake problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Ford Explorer XLT - Brake problem

Dave RDC

Reaction score
City, State
Luskville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
Soft Pedal - I changed the front Rotors and pads - I'm getting a soft brake pedal now. I recheck the calliper and I do not see any leaks. I still get a soft pedal and it does seem when pressing the pedal it doesn't hold the pressure, it depress very slowly Could it be the Master cylinder
FYI I did not touch the back brakes nor tool any brake lines off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just want to say, Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Hopefully, some members may be familiar with this issue.

Peter

Just want to say, Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Hopefully, some members may be familiar with this issue.

Peter
Did you check the brake fluid level? When depressing the piston it is common to displace the fluid out and onto the ground causing low fluid level

Did you check the brake fluid level? When depressing the piston it is common to displace the fluid out and onto the ground causing low fluid level
?? Can you elaborate? I was under the impression that even if you compress the pistons all the way in to the point where they bottom out flush, that with new pads put on, as long as the brakes are not activated without a rotor being between them, that any fluid that is forced out the top of the master cylinder reservoir, would still not leave the MC reservoir in an empty state, low enough to introduce air in through the master cylinder once the brakes are activated again by pushing the pedal?

However I have heard of people who after their pads have worn down some, they will top off their master cylinder reservoir so that it has too much in it when the caliper pistons are retracted to put new pads in, but even then, the amount of fluid remaining should be enough to not empty the reservoir (as mentioned above).

Normally the fluid just feeds back into the master cylinder reservoir, but sometimes people like to open the bleeder screw, thinking that purging the fluid inside the caliper, out of the system to discard is better because it may be more degraded than the rest of the fluid, and in doing so, they might let air into the line. Personally I never do that. If I thought the fluid was bad then I'd flush the whole system instead.

I am unaware of any way to test the Master Cylinder, besides to bleed the system normally, and then if it is still spongy after another bleeding attempt that seems to go well, then the lines can be taken off the MC, those ports plugged (make sure the plugs have no leaks) and then use slight pressure to push on the brake pedal to see if it holds or sinks. Obviously once it is put back together, new MC or not, it will need bled again.

One other thing I would do is examine both front brake hoses in case there is damage.

Just check if there's fluid on the ground where you did the work. If so then it burped at some point while depressing the piston and it calls for a brake bleed. If that fails have someone sit in the vehicle and pump the brakes while you walk around and listen to each wheel and the MC

Soft Pedal - I changed the front Rotors and pads - I'm getting a soft brake pedal now. I recheck the calliper and I do not see any leaks. I still get a soft pedal and it does seem when pressing the pedal it doesn't hold the pressure, it depress very slowly Could it be the Master cylinder
FYI I did not touch the back brakes nor tool any brake lines off.
Rubber brake hoses also can cause soft petal, n but the hoses are only 8 years old.
So check all your brake hoses. You state what engine you have.

Hi Pete. I think you meant to say, "You didn't state what engine you have".

Peter

Did you clean the rotors? New rotors have a film on them to protect from flash rust that needs to be removed.

Back