• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer XLT tow package

kburns919

Reaction score
City, State
Coatesville pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ford explorer xlt
Hi, I recently purchased a 2020 Ford explorer xlt with no tow package. Is it possible to add a brake controller for a 7pin if it did not come from the factory?

Thank you
Kris Burns

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It can be added. But it will take a lot of extra work. I would recommend having it done by a professional hitch dealer in your area.

Hi, I recently purchased a 2020 Ford explorer xlt with no tow package. Is it possible to add a brake controller for a 7pin if it did not come from the factory?

Thank you
Kris Burns
Welcome to the Forum Kris. :wave:
Which engine does your XLT have? It is very likely that with an aftermarket towing kit you will be able to legally tow less weight than with the factory-installed tow package.

Peter

2020 XLT would be the 2.3 EcoBoost, no? All Explorers from Base to Limited = 2.3
STS/KR/Plat = TTV6

According to the owners manual, an XLT without the tow package maximum tow rating is 3,000lbs.

I've owned a 2020 Explorer XLT and now a 2023 ST-line, both with the trailer tow package. The Explorer does not come with, nor is a trailer brake controller offered from Ford. I installed aftermarket brake controllers (Redarc tow pro liberty) on both. the installation is plug and play and is well documented. I would suggest you go to e-trailer.com, plug in your vehicle and they will detail what is required and available for your vehicle. The missing extra cooling capacity and other details, as provided with the factory trailer tow package, will limit you to the 3000lb. towing limit. Be careful to look at the wiring requirements for a 4-pin or 7-pin connecter as I am not sure as to what is provided. Good Luck

I've owned a 2020 Explorer XLT and now a 2023 ST-line, both with the trailer tow package. The Explorer does not come with, nor is a trailer brake controller offered from Ford. I installed aftermarket brake controllers (Redarc tow pro liberty) on both. the installation is plug and play and is well documented. I would suggest you go to e-trailer.com, plug in your vehicle and they will detail what is required and available for your vehicle. The missing extra cooling capacity and other details, as provided with the factory trailer tow package, will limit you to the 3000lb. towing limit. Be careful to look at the wiring requirements for a 4-pin or 7-pin connecter as I am not sure as to what is provided. Good Luck
With out the tow package it will not be plug and play. The brake controller will have 4 wires that need to be hard wired. White to ground, black to the battery positive (recommend installing a circuit breaker), red to the brake trigger wire and blue to the 7 wire plug. Then you still need to deal with the rear running lights, brake lights and signal lights. They do make a plug in harness to help with this. I installed hundreds when I worked for a company that sold and installed hitches and accessories. Not a quick and simple install. The tow package makes it easy. And most hitches will require cutting of the rear valance.

According to the owners manual, an XLT without the tow package maximum tow rating is 3,000lbs.
I guess I'm a little confused about the tow ratings. Since only platinum and the st come with the factory tow package they can tow 5300? If we install the tow package after it has left the factory on an xlt it's 3000?

I guess I'm a little confused about the tow ratings. Since only platinum and the st come with the factory tow package they can tow 5300? If we install the tow package after it has left the factory on an xlt it's 3000?
An aftermarket installation has always had a lower rating since the factory tow package includes more than just the hitch. For one, I believe it has a heavier-duty transmission and a tow setting. On the 5th gen. I believe it also included a bigger radiator. Not sure about the 6th gen.

Peter

The XLt is available with the factory tow package. It is an option.

Attachments

• 2020-Explorer-Order-Guide(1).pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 110

It would seem that the vehicle wasn't ordered with that option so unfortunately it is limited to the 3000 lb weight restriction. It is also shown in the Owner's Manual.
1687821601062.png

1687821638411.png

Peter

An aftermarket installation has always had a lower rating since the factory tow package includes more than just the hitch. For one, I believe it has a heavier-duty transmission and a tow setting. On the 5th gen. I believe it also included a bigger radiator. Not sure about the 6th gen.

Peter

6th Gen per the towing guides states the towing package adds the 7 Wire Harness and 4pin/7pin connector, 2" receiver hitch, and an engine oil cooler.

And the tow package is definitely available on XLTs - it was a requirement we bought ours.

Not so much for the OP but for anybody that might look at this thread, when buying a Ford always, always, always get the tow package even if you don't intend to tow anything. Why? Well...

1) Life happens and you might find yourself with a boat (or fill in the blank) you never expected to get,
2) It helps with resale, and (the big one),
3) In almost every case, adding a tow package adds more than just a factory receiver hitch.

There's some combination/permutation of about a dozen things that can be done at the factory to increase towing capacity including bigger radiator/grill, oil cooler, transmission cooler, beefier transmission, power steering cooler, transmission tuning (normally done through electronics now), heavy-duty brakes, better suspension, differential drive ratios, upgraded battery/alternator, necessary wiring, etc.

My point is that the extra $500 to $700 for the tow package is just about the best bargain available in Ford Packages. All, except for the wiring, of these upgrades will make your vehicle last longer and be more rugged and reliable. For almost everyone that's worth the cost of the upgrade.

Not so much for the OP but for anybody that might look at this thread, when buying a Ford always, always, always get the tow package even if you don't intend to tow anything. Why? Well...

1) Life happens and you might find yourself with a boat (or fill in the blank) you never expected to get,
2) It helps with resale, and (the big one),
3) In almost every case, adding a tow package adds more than just a factory receiver hitch.

There's some combination/permutation of about a dozen things that can be done at the factory to increase towing capacity including bigger radiator/grill, oil cooler, transmission cooler, beefier transmission, power steering cooler, transmission tuning (normally done through electronics now), heavy-duty brakes, better suspension, differential drive ratios, upgraded battery/alternator, necessary wiring, etc.

My point is that the extra $500 to $700 for the tow package is just about the best bargain available in Ford Packages. All, except for the wiring, of these upgrades will make your vehicle last longer and be more rugged and reliable. For almost everyone that's worth the cost of the upgrade.

When we bought our Explorer we opted to not get the top package because the only time we towed with my F-150 was when we moved. We were expecting to be in our last house for another 7-8 years from when we bought the Explorer and figured we would trade to another SUV with a tow package before we moved. Life happened and I was retired 2 years later. During that time I had to buy a mobility scooter and we really needed the tow hitch. We never got it installed, but we are looking for a second SUV vehicle and that one will have a tow package.

Thank you for all of the replies. Just to add to my confusion I found a tow haul drive mode. What's this about if the car didn't come with a hitch?
20230707_095940.jpg

All the answers to your questions can be found in your owners manual

Thank you for all of the replies. Just to add to my confusion I found a tow haul drive mode. What's this about if the car didn't come with a hitch? View attachment 443647
It is Tow/Haul, as in are you Towing, OR, are you Hauling a lot (IN the car).

My 2011 Limited had a tow button but it also did not have a tow package. I'm guessing it is likely installed on all vehicles in case the owner wishes to install an aftermarket tow package. :dunno:

Peter

Thank you for all of the replies. Just to add to my confusion I found a tow haul drive mode. What's this about if the car didn't come with a hitch? View attachment 443647
We used the haul mode when we picked up a bunch of rocks from a friend to use in our landscaping. We loaded the Explorer down and drove it home. There was a large hill/small mountain between his house and ours. It helped going up and coming back down.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back