2021 XLT 2.3 Performance Mods

Jmcc1980

Reaction score
City, State
Rocklin, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer XLT 4X4
Hey All,

I just bought a 2021 Explorer XLT 4X4 with the 2.3 ecoboost. Its got 20k miles on it and still under warranty but I want to start planning some eprformance mods. First things coming to mind are cold ait intake (thinking about the K&N) and a tune and blow off valve. Any recommendations on tuners? Im seeing 5 Start tuning a lot on line but not sure how that works. How much HP can I get out of this thing? Thanks! Excited to be in the Explorer club!

John

Explorer.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum John. :wave:
I'll let those in the know answer the question as I have no experience with tunes.
BTW, the 5th gen is not actually a 4X4. ;)

Peter

Welcome to the Forum John. :wave:
I'll let those in the know answer the question as I have no experience with tunes.
BTW, the 5th gen is not actually a 4X4. ;)

Peter
Thanks! What is it then?? Some of them have 4x4 emblems on the back haha. Maybe its AWD? Im pretty sure mine is 6th gen.

Thanks! What is it then?? Some of them have 4x4 emblems on the back haha. Maybe its AWD? Im pretty sure mine is 6th gen.
Sorry, you are correct. It is a 6th gen. They refer to it as Intelligent 4WD but I've also seen Intelligent AWD. The subject has created quite a bit of discussion on the forum. The 5th gen was basically FWD biased while the 6th gen switched to a RWD biased system. Both systems automatically switched to sending power to all wheels when the electrically controlled system sensed the requirement. I believe that usually when people see 4X4 they think of the ability to lock the vehicle into 4-wheel drive and use a low gear for serious offroad use. In any case, no matter what it is, it gets the job done for light to occasional moderate off-roading.

Peter

Hey All,

I just bought a 2021 Explorer XLT 4X4 with the 2.3 ecoboost. Its got 20k miles on it and still under warranty but I want to start planning some eprformance mods. First things coming to mind are cold ait intake (thinking about the K&N) and a tune and blow off valve. Any recommendations on tuners? Im seeing 5 Start tuning a lot on line but not sure how that works. How much HP can I get out of this thing? Thanks! Excited to be in the Explorer club!

John

View attachment 446211
Cold Air Intake will gain nothing. The stock air box and surprisingly the exhaust system is very non restrictive. It’s AWD system I don’t know why Ford markets it as a 4WD system.

5Star Performance is good, but there is better. 5 star had a lot of problems with transmission tuning when they first started on 6g explorer and I am sure they fixed it I just wouldn’t go with them. I am not sure of many other tuners for the 2.3 (all of my knowledge for performance is the 3.0) Since the mustang eco boost runs the same engine I would join a forum over their and ask them about tunes. I am sure the market is very supportive of this engine.

Hey All,

I just bought a 2021 Explorer XLT 4X4 with the 2.3 ecoboost. Its got 20k miles on it and still under warranty but I want to start planning some eprformance mods. First things coming to mind are cold ait intake (thinking about the KNN) and a tune and blow off valve. Any recommendations on tuners? Im seeing 5 Start tuning a lot on line but not sure how that works. How much HP can I get out of this thing? Thanks! Excited to be in the Explorer club!

John

View attachment 446211
Hi John,

I'm in the same boat.

I'm curious to know what the recommended performance upgrades are and what you get out of them.

Steven

Hi John,

I'm in the same boat.

I'm curious to know what the recommended performance upgrades are and what you get out of them.

Steven
Welcome to the Forum Steven. :wave:

Peter

Hey All,

John

View attachment 446211
I recently acquired a 2023 ST-line. I am also exploring some mods. I traded in my 2018 Mustang Eco (Ecostang) on the Explorer. My Ecostang served as a daily driver and a HPDE (track day) car. Along with a host of suspension, brake, aero, and cooling mods, I did make a couple basic mods to the engine; a larger intercooler and a COBB tune. Unfortunately, there does not appear to be as much aftermarket stuff available for the Explorer as there is the Mustang, understandably. Also, for some reason Ford went with a slightly detuned version of the 2.3 Eco for the Explorer vs the Mustang, 300hp/310lbft vs 310hp/350lbft. Having said that, my concern is more with the transmission logic than the engine. I installed a throttle switch module, set it for 50% gain, and that seems to help a bit (just opens the throttle more for any given throttle input, no change in max power). I also find that driving in Tow Haul mode is a slight improvement for me (holds gears longer, less upshifting).

I don't think a cold air intake will have any impact on power, unless you have a highly modified engine exceeding 400hp. I say this because the intake airbox/filter is the same for the 3.0tt as it is the 2.3t. But, the cold air intake may add a little intake sound, which might be pleasurable. It is also worth noting that both the 3.0 and the 2.3 use the same intercooler. So again, probably not much to be gained from a larger intercooler either (for the 2.3). If you just want a little more power and (hopefully) better shift logic, an aftermarket tune is probably your best bet. Since my Explorer is brand new, I won't do this for a couple years, but that is probably all I will do with respect to the engine.

Note: My experience with the Ecostang was great. I did at least 30-40 track days with that car. I'm a HPDE instructor, so I was not "Sunday driving" around the track either. No issues with the motor. Without a doubt, this influenced my decision to get an Explorer with a 2.3.

CAI intakes will not make any intake noise. If you open the hood you can hear it, but I don’t think you can drive around with your hood open though.

Welcome to the Forum Exploroger.:wave:

Peter

Back