• Register Today It's free!

2022 Explorer XLT, 22” wheels?

XLTman07

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Ford Explorer XLT
Ordered a 2022 explorer XLT. It comes with the stock 18” wheels, and I want to upgrade ASAP. I’m thinking 22” in wheels, but don’t want to do anything to the suspension. I have seen a number of pictures, but not sure if it’s the stock suspension? Anyone done 22” and have some advice? The picture is what I’m going for…
A83FF4CA-1444-40B7-8BC4-ED689A855034.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Personally, I would love to have the 18" wheels as an option on all the Explorers. Better ride and fewer worries about curb rash.;)
If you are going to go with 22" then a 255/45R22 would be almost an exact match for the 255/65R18. You want to try and keep the maximum overall diameter at 3% or less when compared to OEM.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Personally, I would love to have the 18" wheels as an option on all the Explorers. Better ride and fewer worries about curb rash.;)
I've been saying this for years about a lot of cars but trends march on. I can see the ST having larger rims because that means shorter sidewalls and more 'performance' - it's more appropriate there. But I've never understood making the larger rims standard on the upscale trims - do the people that buy the Limited and the King Ranch really want a harsher ride and less traction in any situation other than a dry road? I understand that it's all about the looks for some people but often a bigger rim with a shorter tire looks small in the same wheel well unless you drop the vehicle some.
That's exactly why when we were planning to buy we were building out the XLT model like we wanted - so it would have the 18 inch rims. Could have done a limited at the same price but didn't want the larger rims. Of course, we ended up with the Timberline and part of that is because it had the 18 inch rims. Now - I'll admit - the tires are a little overboard for our use but we still love the way it rides and handles and there are plenty of tires in that size range that focus more on road use.

...But I've never understood making the larger rims standard on the upscale trims - do the people that buy the Limited and the King Ranch really want a harsher ride and less traction in any situation other than a dry road? ...
Harsher ride? I think my '22 Limited rides very smooth. And it's a marked improvement over our '17 Limited which rode stiffer. That could've been the Michelin LTX tires. But in any case, it's all subjective and I don't feel the 20's make my Limited ride harsh at all.

Less traction? I'd love to see your source that says shows scientifically that going from 18's to 20's will result in noticeably less traction.

Personally I would've steered well clear of the Timberline's tires - I'd bet they'll be noticeably noisier in most if not all conditions.

Harsher ride? I think my '22 Limited rides very smooth. And it's a marked improvement over our '17 Limited which rode stiffer. That could've been the Michelin LTX tires. But in any case, it's all subjective and I don't feel the 20's make my Limited ride harsh at all.
All things are relative - a tire with a shorter sidewall is going to be stiffer and absorb less road irregularities. Will you notice - maybe not. The suspension can also be softened up to accommodate it. Maybe they softened up the suspension on the Limited - the tell would be to look for struts and see if the model matters.
Less traction? I'd love to see your source that says shows scientifically that going from 18's to 20's will result in noticeably less traction.

Personally I would've steered well clear of the Timberline's tires - I'd bet they'll be noticeably noisier in most if not all conditions.
It's pretty widely accepted that losing that flex on the sidewall results in issues on slippery surfaces. Take snow for example - if the sidewall flexes when you turn or brake or accelerate then the tire flex acts to cushion those forces. I know one person currently that bought a fairly new Tahoe that the rims had been replaced with 22s I believe and the lower profile tires. First snow came along and he was complaining about how poorly it handled in those conditions. Of course, it's harder to get a more aggressive all season tire in those sizes so that contributes to the problem as well.

The Timberline tires are noisier - there is no debate on that. I do like the size though and I've already confirmed that Michelin makes the LTX in that size so we will change over at some point. The tires weren't going to stop us from buying a vehicle that was on the lot for sale that day as opposed to ordering one and waiting. It ticked every other box and surprisingly, they aren't as loud as you would expect them to be. I'll bet that it will do really well in the snow but when that time comes I'll probably still take my 07 out instead the new one.

I know one person currently that bought a fairly new Tahoe that the rims had been replaced with 22s I believe and the lower profile tires. First snow came along and he was complaining about how poorly it handled in those conditions. Of course, it's harder to get a more aggressive all season tire in those sizes so that contributes to the problem as well.
Yes I would definitely look to the new tires first as the primary culprit for reduced handling in winter conditions. Living in FL, winter handling is the last thing on my mind.

The King Ranch comes with 265/65R18 as standard equipment.

Peter

Not in the U.S.
My apology. I was looking at the Timberline.
However, I did find that my 2017 Platinum had a better ride with the 18" winter tires compared to the OEM 20". The increased sidewall height was able to absorb more road imperfections than the OEMs. I noticed it on the other vehicles I had as well.

Peter

Interestingly enough, I was shopping winter wheels and tires for the 22 XLT yesterday. Having a hell of a time finding steel wheels in an 18". I did find some that were 17" but not sure if that will mess up anything with the Explorer itself provided the bolt pattern's match

Interestingly enough, I was shopping winter wheels and tires for the 22 XLT yesterday. Having a hell of a time finding steel wheels in an 18". I did find some that were 17" but not sure if that will mess up anything with the Explorer itself provided the bolt pattern's match
I'm quite sure that 17" wheels won't fit. Several members have been getting the PIU 18" wheels for their 6th gen.

Peter

Thanks Peter! Hadn't even crossed my mind. I'll head to the Google
They are much less expensive in Canada. Maybe you could check with a Windsor dealer and perhaps pick them up there.

Peter

Back