• Register Today It's free!

2022 Explorer XLT in Snow

mbegs5

Reaction score
City, State
Sioux Falls, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
I'm looking at purchasing a 2022 Explorer XLT 4WD. Wondering how these do in snow? I see they are rear wheel drive with intelligent 4WD. I live in South Dakota and we can have some bad winters. I am coming from a 2017 Explorer XLT. It was pretty good in the snow and didn't really use any of the modes much at all. Also had Goodyear Weatherready tires on it and they seemed to perform pretty good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the right tires, they are very capable. There are some other threads on the top of the lists right now complaining about performance on the stock tires, which does not surprise me based on the reviews of the Michelins that came stock on our Explorer XLT with 20's. We run dedicated snow tires and the Explorer is the snow and ice machine of choice in everything except deep snow where I prefer my F150.

The Weatherreadys would be a good compromise between dedicated snows and an all season type tire!

With the right tires, they are very capable. There are some other threads on the top of the lists right now complaining about performance on the stock tires, which does not surprise me based on the reviews of the Michelins that came stock on our Explorer XLT with 20's. We run dedicated snow tires and the Explorer is the snow and ice machine of choice in everything except deep snow where I prefer my F150.

The Weatherreadys would be a good compromise between dedicated snows and an all season type tire!
Thanks. When you say deep snow, how deep are you talking? Few times, I’ve had to drive out if our circle in 10 inches of snow, my old one could do it.

At the end of the day, it should essentially be the same as my 2017 Explorer, correct?

I have a 2022 base model rear wheel drive with the original Hankook tires in New Mexico and I did just fine getting up hills. Now getting it on ramps for an oil change on an ice covered driveway sucks but as for getting around I just put in slippery mode and got around town just fine on black ice and 6 inch packed snow. Just take off slowly and drive carefully and you'll be fine.

I have a 2022 base model rear wheel drive with the original Hankook tires in New Mexico and I did just fine getting up hills. Now getting it on ramps for an oil change on an ice covered driveway sucks but as for getting around I just put in slippery mode and got around town just fine on black ice and 6 inch packed snow. Just take off slowly and drive carefully and you'll be fine.
RWD is different than the 4wd, correct? Two different drive trains?

Yes. The RWD just drives with the 2 rear wheels in the first 3 gears I think and the AWD can use the front wheels to help out. It's not a true 4x4 but take it easy on the throttle and you'll do fine. I wouldn't off road in the snow however with the RWD. It's really just a glorified station wagon with higher ride height.

Yes. The RWD just drives with the 2 rear wheels in the first 3 gears I think and the AWD can use the front wheels to help out. It's not a true 4x4 but take it easy on the throttle and you'll do fine. I wouldn't off road in the snow however with the RWD. It's really just a glorified station wagon with higher ride height.
How comparable is to my 2017 xlt, same deal?

Your XLT AWD should handle the snow better than my RWD. Winter tires would be reccomended but not needed.

RWD is different than the 4wd, correct? Two different drive trains?
You are correct on that. RWD only sends power to the rear wheels.

I'm looking at purchasing a 2022 Explorer XLT 4WD. Wondering how these do in snow? I see they are rear wheel drive with intelligent 4WD. I live in South Dakota and we can have some bad winters. I am coming from a 2017 Explorer XLT. It was pretty good in the snow and didn't really use any of the modes much at all. Also had Goodyear Weatherready tires on it and they seemed to perform pretty good.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The 2022 Explorer XLT is RWD with AWD as an option. In Canada, there is no choice, they all come with Intelligent AWD.
As with my 2017 Explorer Platinum, I always used dedicated winter tires when the season called for them.

Peter

Just going to point out the difference in architecture between your 2017 and the 2020+ models.

The 2017 was built on a common platform that supported the Explorer, Flex, and Taurus nameplates. It was a FWD first platform, with the ability to send power to the rear tires as needed. The engines were mounted transversely to support the FWD based patform.

The 2020 and up returned to the 2010 and earlier Explorer typical platform - Rear Wheel Drive (RWD) and the AWD system available to send power to the front wheels.

I never owned a 2011 to 2019 Explorer, so I can't comment on how the 2020 would handle things differently, but on good tires and with AWD, they are excellent winter vehicles.

When the OP asked about deep snow, my threshold for deep snow would be more than 8 inches or so. The explorer can do it, but I prefer my F150 in that scenario due to higher overall ground clearance - official stats put it at around 2" more clearance, but in a practical sense, its more as that is pretty much only at the differential on the truck - everything else is higher than the explorer is underneath. Pretty obvious looking at tracks and things dragging in the deep snow when both have gone up the driveway!

Just going to point out the difference in architecture between your 2017 and the 2020+ models.

The 2017 was built on a common platform that supported the Explorer, Flex, and Taurus nameplates. It was a FWD first platform, with the ability to send power to the rear tires as needed. The engines were mounted transversely to support the FWD based patform.

The 2020 and up returned to the 2010 and earlier Explorer typical platform - Rear Wheel Drive (RWD) and the AWD system available to send power to the front wheels.

I never owned a 2011 to 2019 Explorer, so I can't comment on how the 2020 would handle things differently, but on good tires and with AWD, they are excellent winter vehicles.

When the OP asked about deep snow, my threshold for deep snow would be more than 8 inches or so. The explorer can do it, but I prefer my F150 in that scenario due to higher overall ground clearance - official stats put it at around 2" more clearance, but in a practical sense, its more as that is pretty much only at the differential on the truck - everything else is higher than the explorer is underneath. Pretty obvious looking at tracks and things dragging in the deep snow when both have gone up the driveway!
Thanks. So you saw AWD you are meaning the 20’ xlt with 4WD, correct?

Thanks. So you saw AWD you are meaning the 20’ xlt with 4WD, correct?
I believe AWD is the more appropriate term. It doesn't have true 4WD. This has been a topic of much discussion over the years. In any case, the terms seem to be used interchangeably here.

Peter

Agree - Ford calls it 4WD, but in reality it operates as an AWD system on this generation.

Given where you live, you want the 4WD / AWD version. Reality is that most sold in our part of the country are, but be aware that RWD only versions are available. Had a friend who did not realize that and got burned when he bought one in Texas in the early 2000's...

Back