4 speed auto to 3 speed auto tranny swap. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4 speed auto to 3 speed auto tranny swap.

WalkBox

Reaction score
City, State
Seaside, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer 4x4
Hey everyone, my 94 explorer tranny went out which is a 4 speed auto. A good tranny from a 92 was given to me, but it appears to be a 3 speed. One less shift solenoid than the 94 tranny and the smaller part of the wiring harness doesn't fit the plug. Also looks like an extra wire to deal with on account of the 92 tranny being a 3 speed rather than a 4 speed. Am I waisting my time, or is this an accomplishable task?

I could be wrong, but I believe all the 1st gens with automatics came with the A4LD. Are you sure someone didn't swap in a C4/C5?

Correct!
91-94 should be a4ld even 86-90 2.9 trucks were a4ld

The earlier trucks (83-85 ranger and bii) used a c4/c5 automatic behind the 2.8lb that was a 3 speed. The c5 is a very good transmission if you can live without overdrive

If you have a early c5 the bellhousing is valuable because it allows us to mount a c4 auto behind the 4.0 engine.. a very popular setup in desert racing trucks

Here is Wikipedia about the c3 c4 c5 a4ld 4r autos

This could help you identify what you have. I’m guessing it’s an a4ld if it was in a 92 Explorer.
IMG_0331.jpeg

Back