4406 installed!!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4406 installed!!!

I'm seriously planning on doing this swap before next Winter. I work at a local ski resort so I need to KNOW that my front wheels are pulling rather than hope that they will lock up in time.

I have a couple of slightly off topic questions . . .

For dry weather driving before I do the swap would there be any advantage or disadvantage to installing the AVM manual hubs a few months prior to installing the 4406?

My theory is that even though I will still be turning all of that metal up front (drive shaft, diff, axles, etc), with the hubs unlocked the drive train will just be "free wheeling" and not be wasting energy trying to fight the resistance of the front wheels. Better mileage?

Do the guys who remove their front drive shafts get better mileage? I'm sure the ones who removed it due to something being broken or binding up front get better mileage because they aren't trying to "drive through" the damaged parts. Has anyone removed their front drive shaft from a properly functioning AWD vehicle?

Inquiring minds (or at least mine) want to know,
Dan

I have had my front shaft out and drove it that way for a year or more. I did not really notice any mileage savings. The AWD transfer case is a power waster ( as far as I have researched ) and really causes a drag with or without the front shaft connected. I will say that the 4406 swap definately caused a mileage increase and bit of a power increase over the AWD setup.

Can you clear this up? Are you planning on swapping in the V8 and trans which will make you 2wd for now and later planning on putting in the 4406?

Yes. I have AWD but after the swap from the v8 and obviously the tranny, I will essentially be 2wd and want to add a transfer case, the 4406 looks promising, Id just like some more info on what exactly I need and needs tobe done

Back