'98 Exp. Need help with cracking noises, and cab noises as well. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sickhellferny

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.0 AWD
Hey there, guys.. Fernando here, nice meeting you.
I'm new to everything here, either the forum or this of lifting and set up a truck, so I request you patience please..

Alright, so..
I recently bought a '98 Explorer AWD 4.0 SOHC, it is really clean, doesn't have that much scratches, dings (8/10), also interior it's a 9/10, the only... well, the many issues it had/have was/is I replaced struts (4 w/AutoZone), link kits, upper and lower ball joints, and wheel bearing (all these on both sides, also AutoZone parts) all these parts were pretty much needed cause they were all rusty and crapy.. Anyway, thing is it still cranks when going through bumps, and mini-bumps, and if i steer to the left or right, it starts to make clacking noises, also if I fall in a hole that is just like 2-2 1/5" deep all the front end feels like it is about to fall apart, and I really hate it. I thought that after replacing all those parts the truck was going to be like really smooth (just like I did on my 2001 Accord), but it is not that much.

My questions are:
1.- Could it be the rack bar and pinion, that is causing all this noise? Not, what could it be?

2.- Is it difficult to get the cab tightened up?

3.- Planning to lift it up about 3" front, 1" rear. What do I need to get this done (lift kits, struts) ?

4.- Adding a 32" tires set. Will it affect the transmission anyhow, heard there's a thing related to the differential that has to be replaced for a stronger one; what is it and is it too expensive?

5.- Thank you very much for your support and patience!

You didn't mention replacing any bushings. You could have bad control arm bushings, rack & pinion mount bushings etc. Check all of the rubber components in the front end.

2.- Is it difficult to get the cab tightened up?

Body mount bolts are easily accessible but they may be rusted. Body mount bushings are another thing to check.

3.- Planning to lift it up about 3" front, 1" rear. What do I need to get this done (lift kits, struts) ?

4.- Adding a 32" tires set. Will it affect the transmission anyhow, heard there's a thing related to the differential that has to be replaced for a stronger one; what is it and is it too expensive?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...arrett-simpsonville-sc-2nd-gen-offroad.15264/

IMO that's the benchmark for low cost and very capable 2nd gen Explorers.

4.- heard there's a thing related to the differential that has to be replaced for a stronger one; what is it and is it too expensive?

Depending on the gear ratio you have in your differentials now you may need to install lower gears which gets expensive. If you can get away with the gears you have, just adding a locker like the Aussie Locker, or Lockrite Locker which aren't very expensive will help with traction offroad.

Back