A/C compressor replacement recomendations | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C compressor replacement recomendations

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Fellows: I "think" I found the on again off again a/c problem with the '02 Sport Trac. The compressor front seal is slinging oil.

So I plan on replacing the Compressor and would like brand name recommendations. I'm leaning toward a new MotorCraft unit along with a new Receiver/Drier.

Anything else I should change out while I'm "in there"?

I have access to a A/C Freon machine and of course the gauges.

I had an on and off again issue in my 245k ST on its original compressor. Mine ended up being the compressor clutch was worn and the gap was too big. Mine measured about .050" and would work for great for about 10 min and then was hit or miss. It would work with a slight tap on the clutch or if hitting s big bump. The gap should be .015" to .030" per the ford manual. I took out the shim washer as mine was .034", which gave me a .016" gap. Mine has worked great since then.

If replacing the Compressor you must also replace the receiver/drier and the Orifice Tube. The tube super cheap (~$2) is located in the hose between the condenser and evaporator and regulates the flow of refrigerant.

If you have run UV dye in it you can see if there were any leaks with a black light.

Have Fun

-Scott

You might be able to change out the A/C clutch. I did one on an older Ford LTD back in the day. And you don't have to worry about the freon.

You might be able to change out the A/C clutch. I did one on an older Ford LTD back in the day. And you don't have to worry about the freon.

You can absolutely replace the A/C clutch. It's pretty easy to do. I've replaced several of them. IIRC the last one I changed I got from Advance Auto Parts and it was around $80 using one of their 20% off on-line codes. Of course if you're leaking oil on the clutch you should just replace the compressor with clutch.

I question that you're actually leaking significant oil out of the compressor seal at this time. If you're leaking oil your're leaking refrigerant too and that would not be causing intermittent operation/cooling.

Back