Anyone here that can run OASIS 2003 Ford Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone here that can run OASIS 2003 Ford Explorer?

Reaction score
City, State
Dayton Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Hello again all,

This Forum has been extremely helpful and informative to me in the past.

I searched this 2003-2005 forum and didn't find anything recent related to this....

Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone here has ability to run OASIS report on 2003 Ford Explorer?

I'd like to know some overall history as well, but mainly if/when it had timing chain done by Ford at some point. I bought this Explorer years ago with just over 100K mi at the time (which I believe is around due date for timing chain), and it now has just over 130K mi on it and don't want to push it much further.

Also, any telltale ways to tell if timing chain had likely been changed in the past?

I thank you in advance!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry I don't know anything about the OASIS report but what engine do you have? Is it the v6 or the v8?

130K miles is not really that much for a truck engine so I wouldn't start to worry yet. I can't imagine that anyone would have replaced the timing chain setup on a truck before 100K miles when you got it (unless someone ran into a very dishonest mechanic). I wouldn't even think about it until after 200K unless it was acting up, making scary noises, etc. If you are concerned, the next step is to look in the oil pans for signs that the guides are starting to break down (bits of orange plastic). I suppose that time could cause a breakdown of the components even thought the miles are not excessive.

You could also take off the front timing chain cover and inspect, but I would get a new set of gaskets first. With a 20 year old truck I never re-use gaskets unless it's an emergency. I also replace all of the bolts, though that wouldn't necessarily be warranted for an inspection. I would take off the timing cover, inspect, clean everything in sight, grind the paint off of the cover and repaint it with POR-15, replace the gaskets, and replace all of the bolts with zinc yellow chromate plated hardware and blue threadlocker.

I do tend to be a bit excessive with maintenance but I figure it will have to be done eventually, so why not when I already have it apart?

I think you could just leave it unless there are signs that there is a problem like sounds or low oil pressure.

LMHmedchem

Thank you for your response. Very helpful. It is the 4/6 V8. For some reason I was thinking it was recommended to be done around 100K, but I will 100% take your word for it, as you obviously know what you are talking about. Not making any noises and seems to run as always. But good to know all of this information for future possibilities. Thanks again!!

Timing chain issues are not nearly as much of a concern with the 4.6L v8 as with the v6. The v8 tend to give some clear warning signs when the timing system needs attention where the v6 has a tendency to skip time and implode with little or no warning.

Also, the timing system on the v8 is all up front so is straightforward to repair when necessary. Though there are a few workarounds suggested here and there, it is generally necessary to remove the engine to change the rear part of the timing system on the v6. Not such a good design all things considered.

You have a very low mileage truck for it being 20 years old. Being in the rust belt, be very proactive about taking care of rust on the body and frame, especially at the rocker panels. With that low mileage, your truck will likely rust into oblivion before the engine dies. Also, change the fluid and filter on the transmission (without a flush) as you will probably start having problems with the transmission before the engine.

LMHmedchem

Thanks for the information!

Yes it is pretty low mileage and has been a pretty good truck to me. I drive it here and there to heat it up well and to keep things working. Mainly use for hunting, camping, fishing things which can require some mild to moderate off-roading in spots... which it handles just fine.

I hear you on the rust. It has one softball sized spot bubbling under paint on the rear quarter panel just behind the door, which I plan to grind down/sand from both sides, patch and paint, here very soon.

So, I assume you recommend a fluid/filter change over just a flush because the flush would not change the filter?? Any other reasons? I think with a change/filter change, you only get about 70% of the oil out, but might be same for flush... because I have not done either myself?

I am going to guess he recommended to just replace the filter and drain and refill with fresh transmission fluid due to having no knowledge of the maintenance that's been done on your transmission. A flush on a transmission that has not had regular maintenance (more than the manual states) can actually cause problems which I bet you would rather not deal with. If I was wrong @LMHmedchem will point it out but what I stated is a common thought with automatic transmissions, especially the ones in our Explorers.

I am going to guess he recommended to just replace the filter and drain and refill with fresh transmission fluid due to having no knowledge of the maintenance that's been done on your transmission. A flush on a transmission that has not had regular maintenance (more than the manual states) can actually cause problems which I bet you would rather not deal with. If I was wrong @LMHmedchem will point it out but what I stated is a common thought with automatic transmissions, especially the ones in our Explorers.
Got it. Makes sense. Thank you!

According to the maintenance schedule on my Explorer, it calls for a fluid and filter change at 150k miles, nothing before that -- also change transfer case fluid.

Some of us think the smart move is to replace the fluids before the maintenance schedule says to. I believe I read here where a person asked a mechanic at a dealer why such a long service interval for the transmission. The mechanic was honest and told him because Ford wants you to buy a new transmission.

There's good reason why these transmissions have developed the poor reputation they have. The cost of fluids is so little and doing the service before the manual says hurts nothing and may save you thousands. With all the problems our transmissions are known for imo it's well worth the little effort and cost especially on the transmission. It does help that I can do most work on my suv myself. I will admit to reading where people have gotten away with doing no service transmissions to over 200k.

I decided to keep my 2005 Explorer because my drive train is strong and healthy even at 153k. I spent months looking at newer ones or at some of the competition and for the money I gain so little I figure it's better to keep my Explorer. It needs a little more suspension work but that costs not much and I can do it myself. If this vehicle had been poorly taken care of I wouldn't be taking the chance. I know the previous owner and he's neurotic about maintenance too.

Btw I'd put in fresh fluid in the transfer case long before 150k and bet many here would recommend the same. It only takes a couple quarts of transmission fluid and takes maybe 15 minutes to drain and fill including putting your car on jack stands. Ford now recommends LV automatic transmission fluid for our transfer cases now. There's a ton of confusion regarding which fluid for the transfer case and I spent a couple of hours trying to sort it out. You can also use Valvoline synthetic transfer case fluid which meets Ford XL-12 specs or XL-12 if Ford still carries it.

I am just hoping you think about doing the service to your transmission and transfer case before the recommendation in the manual. I will admit I am overly cautious when it comes to maintenance. Maybe some others will chime in on their thoughts on maintenance on these two items.

Fordy and Warner, thanks for your updates and helpful info. I will keep all of this in mind.

150k is far too long to service the transmission. Ford also claims the rear diff is “ lifetime” fluid. It will, indeed, last until the differential dies.

At this age EVERY fluid needs changed, including the power steering, and ESPECIALLY the brake fluid.

Back