• Register Today It's free!

Can I tow anything?

xFatcatx

Reaction score
City, State
PORTLAND OREGON
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 SPORT
This sounds like a stupid question but I really just dont know. 99 Sport, 4wd, 4.0 SOHC, 75000miles. I have never towed anything in my life. My mother-in-law was just given an older 16' flat bottom speed boat. Im gonna guess around 4000lbs. gross including the trailer.....maybe. I do not have a tow package on my ex...i think. There is ball on the bumper and a wiring harness thats looks ready to go but i dont see any tow package. The connection for the wiring is 4 prong flat, all side by side. The bumper says tongue load max 350lbs. and gross weight of trailer max is 3500lbs. Im guessing if i try to tow the boat i could pull my bumper off or worse? I dont have a manuel so if anyone knows the total gross weight I would want to pull with thr truck anyways that would be great. Thank You

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get a class 2 tow hitch that boat is not very heavy. i think it ought to work.

Schmid is right.
My '07 4.0/auto has the towing package and the class II is rated for 5,500 lbs. Like yours the bumper says 3,500. You should be able to get the bolt on from Ford, I've seen them for about $200 elsewhere.

Why not just get a class 3? Thats what came with the tow package on my Ex. Then you can have the 2" reciver that basically every other truck uses...instead of that 1" solid bar class 2 hitch thats on mini vans...

+1 on the class 3. For the explorers, I've found class 3 roundbar hitches cheaper than the class 2's.

The engine and trans are up to towing 5Klbs. A class 2 hitch is only rated for 3500lbs which is the same as the stock bumper. A class 3 is rated for 5000lbs. I wouldn't bother installing anything less than a class III hitch... Anyway the Ideal solution would be to determine the boat's gross weight along with the trailer (does the boat have plate with this info?). This will let you know if your stock bumper is ok. The benefit of a receiver hitch is that you can use various drop hitches to ensure the trailer is level. Towing a trailer that is not level puts additional stress on the ball, bumper and adversely affects handling. In any case the stock bumper should work except when being overstressed (ie emergency stops).

Don't even think about getting a class II hitch..total waste of $$. There are plenty of class III hitches available for your truck for about $100 and up. Summit Racing has one for $119 that will fit your truck. Most on line stores carry them and most parts stores will have them or can order them for you.

Even if the trailer is 3500 lbs or less, I'd still put the class III hitch under the truck to tow. The class III hitch bolts to the frame directly with more bolts than the bumper is, and uses bigger/stronger bolts than the bumper does.

Make sure your brakes and shocks are in good shape, and your tires have good tread.

Frankly, the class III is probably cheaper than the II just due to the amount of them on the market, and availability of draw bars and accessories.

Add one more vote for class III

Vote Class III

so get a class 2 or 3...it does not matter.

Personally I wouldn't tow anything, it puts strain on engine and transmission, just my opinion.....(I'd pull some1 outta the ditch is all, then only if they weren't stuck too bad)

I tow a Jeep on a tandem trailer with no problems whatsoever. I use a Class 3 Hidden Hitch.

Don't go with a Class 2 hitch.

Good luck .....

thanks for all the replys. have not found the placard on the boat yet but i will just take it to scales by my work. class 3 it is. thanks again.

Ditto, and get a Hidden hitch, you won't like the other's being seen under the bumper. The round tube version is hidden, the later version is square tubed, it shows, and it's for 16" wheels. I have the older version, plus a large spare(I cut my hitch to fit it, 20 minutes). Good luck,

Attachments

• Rearview.JPG
    Rearview.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 689

I tow my 20' Wellcraft center console without a problem on a class 3 hitch.

now I wish I got the class III...

i towed a semi-truck and a load with my mountaineer from florida to california once... :)

...just kidding.

on a stock bumper. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

backwards. :)

Back