Cruise Control issues 1997 Merc Mounty | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wingcmdr

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
My cruise control isn't working, no surprise there it seems. Has never worked in my ownership. Replaced the cutoff switch and still nothing. I found a post on Ford Forums Online
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/threads/self-test-cruise-control-check-engine.1486/
with the cruise control self test. I did the test and get 4 flashes,
"4 flashes - vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective"
My question is where to I go to chase this problem further? I don't know what my next step should be.
I'm thinking it doesn't refer to my speed sensor since my speedometer works, so what's up?

Thanks y'all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 95 Xplorer runs for a few miles on cruise then starts slowing down. The green cruise light in the dash stays lit...I don't know. I just bought the thing last month.

My cruise control isn't working, no surprise there it seems. Has never worked in my ownership. Replaced the cutoff switch and still nothing. I found a post on Ford Forums Online
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/threads/self-test-cruise-control-check-engine.1486/
with the cruise control self test. I did the test and get 4 flashes,
"4 flashes - vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective"
My question is where to I go to chase this problem further? I don't know what my next step should be.
I'm thinking it doesn't refer to my speed sensor since my speedometer works, so what's up?
Thanks y'all!

According to my '98 Workshop Manual (which, hopefully, applies to your '97):
1) Check the speedometer for proper operation (which you did), if OK:
2) Check the connection from ABS Control Module C186-10, circuit 679 (Gray/Black) and the speed control servo C171-3, circuit 679 ((Gray/Black). If resistance is more than 5 Ohms, repair the connection, otherwise the speed control servo is bad.

On a personal note: you are lucky to get this code. My 98-1/2 wouldn't even run the diagnostics when the CC failed. Replacing the servo fixed the problem. Unless you see a bad connector or a broken wire, chances are it's the servo - not uncommon.

1997 Explorer, Mountaineer Workshop Manual
  • 4 Flashes - Vehicle speed sensor is out of range or not connected.
  • Symptom Chart
    Condition Possible Source Action
    • Speed Control Inoperative
    • Fuse.
    • Circuitry.
    • Brake ON/OFF (BOO) switch.
    • Stoplamps.
    • Speed control actuator cable (9A825).
    • Speed control actuator switches (9D743).
    • Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) (9E731). <---- 4 flashes indicates this
    • Speed control servo (9C735).
    • GO to Pinpoint Test A .
  • mountaineer pinpoint test A - PDF - Dropbox link - 22 pages
Edit:
here is the link for the electrical diagram referenced in the pin point test A - drop box link - mountaineer vehicle speed sensor

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

The vehicle speed sensor is a magnetic pickup-driven gear mounted to and driven by the transmission (7003) on 4x2 models, and to the transfer case (7A195) on 4x4 models.

The VSS sends a signal to the speed control servo indicating how fast the vehicle is traveling.

just did my explorer 2 days ago , broken wire off the brake sensor - 2 dollars for the connector at the pick n pull, solder and heat shrink and cruise is fixed.
chasing the problem took some time but not hard at all

Back