Does having a Salvage/Rebuilt title lower a vehicles value? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does having a Salvage/Rebuilt title lower a vehicles value?

Is value affected by having a Salvage/Rebuilt title?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
You’re about to buy a collectible car to keep as an investment. It’s got a salvage/rebuilt title. Does this change the value you’re willing to pay?

Asking for a friend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am absolutely sure it would. One, you will have to find insurance through a specialty company. Maybe hard to find. Two, you will always have the question of why the vehicle is salvage… flood? Wreck? Bent frame? I would probably not buy it, or require a monstrous discount. Mostly, I would just not buy it, and there are a lot of people like myself. This reduced demand would reduce value all by itself.

Good luck, drive safe, and find another collector car. Don’t buy this car.

100% it will its hard for insurance & theres questionable repair jobs, flood can hide very well long after the repair in nooks and crannies

especially as an investment, you pay less but sell for less

also yes a "friend" indeed 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Only a person or a salesman selling a car with a salvage title could ever say “no, it does not make any difference”. And it would take some nerve to say this with a straight face…

Only a person or a salesman selling a car with a salvage title could ever say “no, it does not make any difference”. And it would take some nerve to say this with a straight face…
or if it's free 🤣 0 x 0 = 0

^^^^ that.

Just depends on how rare it is tbh. I've been looking at salvage F150 Raptors myself. When selling you take about a 20% hit on actual title with salvage history. Just depends on how it was salvage and can you prove that story. Also no full coverage will ever be available on a salvage vehicle.

If the car is being sold at a discount, I'd consider it. Investment cars are better with clean titles, something you buy to use, I wouldn't care as long as the repairs were properly done.

Yes, salvage or rebuilt titles lower a vehicles sale value. It depends on the vehicle though and how unique of a specimen it is or whom is purchasing it. For example, if you buy a woods truck with a rebuilt title, you really don't care. Or if you found a vehicle that has every single option with a rebuilt title, but that's the one you're looking for, versus one that doesn't have all of those factory options, with a clear title.. And you just want to use it to cruise on the weekends, or have in your collection... Perhaps it is the only one you can find that has all of those factory options available, that reminds you of your long lost Platinum White 2000 Sport Premium that had all the factory options you looked for and the exact same interior as yours, that by now, you're never likely to see one just like it. For reasons like this, you may pick the one that has the rebuilt title. There are many factors to consider!

A friend may wish to inform you that perhaps that was not the point of a statment that friend may or may not have made, that you may or may not be referring to, and in fact, the point has skyrocketed over your head. But that's for another topic of discussion. Let's all stay on topic, naturally.

Anecdotally, I have a friend who is nearing 70. Veteran, retired air force. Anyway, he collects ****ty old Fords. Actually just the ****tiest. You would not believe what this guy pays for his Fords that needed beyond belief work. Some of them he buys from friends, so he doesn't mind spending the extra cash, some of them he doesn't buy from friends. Some he does buy pristine and "wise, objective" investments. Turns out there's lots of collectors like these. He has a 70's Mustang that needed only the most extensive work, but since it had some core features that he couldn't find somewhere else, he chose that one. He had one just like it when he was young, so that was the one he picked out. This guy's even engine swapping his Taurus SHO to a rare body color SHO because he used to own one. Rebuilt title. Imagine that... What a loon... Guess he's getting something out of it. Must be sentimental value or something, beats the absolute hell out of me. I only think in dollar signs and in objective black and white terms.
Funnily enough, it turns out, not all collectors are like the ones you see on YouTube. Some of them just have 5-30 cars in their back yard, or tractors, or trucks mixed in. Some collectors just buy stuff cuz it felt good when they saw something that was what they had once, or what their dead friend had, or.. You get the idea. Not all collectors buy to make a profit off of proposed investment. Lots of collectors collect what is objectively junk, AKA what most of us spend lots of time and money on, our Explorers lol. It is however totally subjective, to, and per, collector, what they are interested in.

Theft is one that comes to mind. Stolen recovery after 30-45 days is almost always a "total loss" because they've already paid out the vehicles value by now.

Yes, salvage or rebuilt titles lower a vehicles sale value. It depends on the vehicle though and how unique of a specimen it is or whom is purchasing it. For example, if you buy a woods truck with a rebuilt title, you really don't care. Or if you found a vehicle that has every single option with a rebuilt title, but that's the one you're looking for, versus one that doesn't have all of those factory options, with a clear title.. And you just want to use it to cruise on the weekends, or have in your collection... Perhaps it is the only one you can find that has all of those factory options available, that reminds you of your long lost Platinum White 2000 Sport Premium that had all the factory options you looked for and the exact same interior as yours, that by now, you're never likely to see one just like it. For reasons like this, you may pick the one that has the rebuilt title. There are many factors to consider!

A friend may wish to inform you that perhaps that was not the point of a statment that friend may or may not have made, that you may or may not be referring to, and in fact, the point has skyrocketed over your head. But that's for another topic of discussion. Let's all stay on topic, naturally.

Anecdotally, I have a friend who is nearing 70. Veteran, retired air force. Anyway, he collects ****ty old Fords. Actually just the ****tiest. You would not believe what this guy pays for his Fords that needed beyond belief work. Some of them he buys from friends, so he doesn't mind spending the extra cash, some of them he doesn't buy from friends. Some he does buy pristine and "wise, objective" investments. Turns out there's lots of collectors like these. He has a 70's Mustang that needed only the most extensive work, but since it had some core features that he couldn't find somewhere else, he chose that one. He had one just like it when he was young, so that was the one he picked out. This guy's even engine swapping his Taurus SHO to a rare body color SHO because he used to own one. Rebuilt title. Imagine that... What a loon... Guess he's getting something out of it. Must be sentimental value or something, beats the absolute hell out of me. I only think in dollar signs and in objective black and white terms.
Funnily enough, it turns out, not all collectors are like the ones you see on YouTube. Some of them just have 5-30 cars in their back yard, or tractors, or trucks mixed in. Some collectors just buy stuff cuz it felt good when they saw something that was what they had once, or what their dead friend had, or.. You get the idea. Not all collectors buy to make a profit off of proposed investment. Lots of collectors collect what is objectively junk, AKA what most of us spend lots of time and money on, our Explorers lol. It is however totally subjective, to, and per, collector, what they are interested in.
No one was talking about a woods truck. Who’s the one going off on inane tangents and points now? It’s clearly you. Maybe your reading comprehension isn’t what you think it is.

The entire point was about collectibility. A salvage title will surely make a car less COLLECTABLE. Less people want a salvage title. Less people will be willing to buy it. Can you not follow where this is going? Don’t confuse a collectable car with one purchased by an ENTHUSIAST. They are very different things.

I was strictly talking value added. Now you want to drag in sentimental value, and other nonsense. This was a money discussion. Nothing else. Apparently THAT skyrocketed over your brilliant head.

Theft is one that comes to mind. Stolen recovery after 30-45 days is almost always a "total loss" because they've already paid out the vehicles value by now.
I wish mine was a total loss. Took 2 days to get back, and then sat in impound for a week, and then 3 months to fix. I’ll take manslaughter next time.

Dealing with the idiot that caused the wreck is bad enough, then Dealing with their insurance is enough to warrant the manslaughter comment. The insurance companies have creative ways to short you on a total loss.

I wish mine was a total loss. Took 2 days to get back, and then sat in impound for a week, and then 3 months to fix. I’ll take manslaughter next time.
Our Mach 1 was damaged with 6000 miles on it. Just under 10k in damage but they wouldn't total it.

Now we are stuck with an enthusiast car with a really bad Carfax. Might as well be a salvage title.

Our Mach 1 was damaged with 6000 miles on it. Just under 10k in damage but they wouldn't total it.

Now we are stuck with an enthusiast car with a really bad Carfax. Might as well be a salvage title.
How bad was the damage and how well did they repair it? A relative bought a used car with a rebuilt title, not collector and liked that most of the car was repainted and had new parts on it.

Mines got 2 theft recoveries. The second theft recovery included $6000 in damages, a new roof panel and repaint.

Luckily though, it’s just a commuter I’ll drive into the ground. If it were a car I was hoping to resell someday I’d be super salty.

Salvage title for a non-collectable vehicle would devalue it by at least 1/3. For a collectable, it may or may not reduce the value depending upon what it is.

It is also difficult to insure them.

How bad was the damage and how well did they repair it?

Damage was repaired by the dealer with with all Ford parts. You can't see any tell tale signs looking at the car. No frame involvement at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You’re about to buy a collectible car to keep as an investment. It’s got a salvage/rebuilt title. Does this change the value you’re willing to pay?

Asking for a friend.
Some places you'd have a hard time getting it registered with the DMV. Good to check first.

Back