EE Rear Swaybar and Split Collets

Stomper

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4.0L SOHC
Hey guys, this isn't a question, just something to help out.

I bought all of my suspension mods at Explorer Express, and found one thing. The split collets that they sell for the rear sway bar are worth the money on my Sport. I noticed a dramatic improvement after buying the X-spec handling package and lowering as recommended, but still noticed that my arse was flopping around more than it should with that beefy solid rear swaybar.

Do yourself a favor and look to each side of the rear bushings (where it mounts to the frame) and see if you have any lateral movement. You will see straight line rubs on the sway bar from travelling axially thru the bushings during hard corning. If you bolt these split collets (1/2 collars with torque bolts) onto the bar and butted right up against the outsides of the bushing mounts, it will tighten your handling up substantially.

I was getting almost an inch of slide on each side of the bushing on my rear swaybar reducing its effectiveness.

If anyone has anything further, feel free to add to what I've said. And, if anyone is experiencing this lateral movement and tries the split collets, let me know how it goes. Take care and good luck!

i could only get one of them on. The other one didn't fit. I dunno why, it just wouldnt'. Either way, the X handles like a champ.

The swaybar is probably just a little off-center, so that the bend in the bar on one side is too close to the bushing. There is not enough 'flat' bar to put the collet on then. Next time it's up on a lift or getting a tire rotation, try to even it out a little. Thanks!

Back